• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Attitudes towards the Liberals

You're being way to kind to him.

I don't hate the man. And he'd be welcome around my fire. I just think he sees the world and Canada differently than I do. And I don't think he represents me anymore, I used to think he did.

We need to learn that we can have opposing political views, that's ok. But you can't view your opposition as something bad. And we have to realize that Canada will decide it's own fate no matter what ones personal feelings are on the decisions made.

I don't hate the man. And he'd be welcome around my fire. I just think he sees the world and Canada differently than I do. And I don't think he represents me anymore, I used to think he did.

We need to learn that we can have opposing political views, that's ok. But you can't view your opposition as something bad. And we have to realize that Canada will decide it's own fate no matter what ones personal feelings are on the decisions made.
Podcaster Dan Carlin (of Hardcore History) recently stopped his political podcast "Common Sense" because the extreme polarization of the population on both sides and their characterization of each other as something approaching "enemies" (as opposed to just having different opinions) meant that meaningful discussions around policy solutions were no longer possible.

In a recent podcast he also suggested that sometime in the future people will look back at the extreme political polarization of this time as a type of group insanity similar to that of the McCarthy era. Sadly I think he's right.

Podcaster Dan Carlin (of Hardcore History) recently stopped his political podcast "Common Sense" because the extreme polarization of the population on both sides and their characterization of each other as something approaching "enemies" (as opposed to just having different opinions) meant that meaningful discussions around policy solutions were no longer possible.

In a recent podcast he also suggested that sometime in the future people will look back at the extreme political polarization of this time as a type of group insanity similar to that of the McCarthy era. Sadly I think he's right.

I just hope we manage to stay peaceful. And get through this time of polarization.

I don't think that.

I just don't see how a single picture of Trudeau being excited and smiling provides any sort of actual critical proof of either his success or failure as a PM.

I didnt like Harper, but I LOVED whenever he showed his humanity and sang while playing piano.

How about the from the “we are so awesome and special!!” walk in 2015, to when the picture was taken. The picture is “just another thing”.

But if you’re oblivious to the significant amount of wrongs attached to his name, at this point, then the picture could be one of him pushing an old lady down some stairs and you’d be making a similar argument so…

Someone, a while back, said something here to the effect that the real international (and I guess domestic) work is done quietly, with side conversations on big headline summits, and usually not by the leaders themselves.

I think about that comment from time to time and wonder if a PM's job is really to "sell" the initiative to domestic and foreign parties. But even not really selling it to the foreign parties, b/c the Chief of Staff would be talking to their opposite number and working the details.

So in a roundabout way, the PM getting media (and flak) maybe actually help because it takes heat/light away from other work being done in the background...and we (the Canadian public) wouldn't know unless it is successful.

But maybe I'm wrong. Who knows.

How about the from the “we are so awesome and special!!” walk in 2015, to when the picture was taken. The picture is “just another thing”.

But if you’re oblivious to the significant amount of wrongs attached to his name, at this point, then the picture could be one of him pushing an old lady down some stairs and you’d be making a similar argument so…

So let me get this straight:

You're equating pushing an old lady down some stairs with smiling while taking a picture with High Jackman?

I think your disdain for Trudeau might be starting to cross into unhealthy territory.

I just don't see how a single picture of Trudeau being excited and smiling provides any sort of actual critical proof of either his success or failure as a PM.
I think you're right and bring up a good point. The guy SHOULD be able to pose for a picture with someone without the 3rd degree. But that's not the legacy he pushed for the last 8 years.

Trudeau largely contributed to the rampant identity politics, polarization, and virtue signaling in Canada.

I can easily see Pierre Poilievre being criticized for the same picture because he's posting with a white male at an event for women.

Hugh Jackman should have asked Trudeau to sign a copy of Jody Wilson-Raybould's book.

Ah! So that's why I've had trouble hating Trudeau as much as the rest of you:

As long as there is something going wrong or someone suffering in Canada, politicians are not allowed to be excited, happy, and smile. I hadn't realized that!

And all this time I thought they were just people like you and me!

Good point... I love a good vindaloo now and then too ;)

justin trudeau india GIF by euronews

Trudeau largely contributed to the rampant identity politics, polarization, and virtue signaling in Canada.
I'll give you the virtue signalling, but not sure about the others. Those were there already ("Anyone But Conservative", for example).

Someone, a while back, said something here to the effect that the real international (and I guess domestic) work is done quietly, with side conversations on big headline summits, and usually not by the leaders themselves.

I think about that comment from time to time and wonder if a PM's job is really to "sell" the initiative to domestic and foreign parties. But even not really selling it to the foreign parties, b/c the Chief of Staff would be talking to their opposite number and working the details.

So in a roundabout way, the PM getting media (and flak) maybe actually help because it takes heat/light away from other work being done in the background...and we (the Canadian public) wouldn't know unless it is successful.

But maybe I'm wrong. Who knows.
The problem I have there is squaring the behind the scenes effort with transparency and a responsible, representative democracy.

What happens when the weathercock no longer accurately depicts the direction of the wind?

still looking at a liberal minority in bed with the NDP
That would be an interesting take, especially if the CPC not only have measurably more of the popular vote, but also notably more seats than the LPC on its own. Who knows, maybe the CPC and BQ might experiment?

CPC needs to expand its lead by more than the margin of error. The incumbent generally will have those that are unsatisfied with him get cold feat and switch back come election time.

Time is still a factor as I tend to say a lot. And PP is leading as preferred leader the gap is closing again.

It’s hard to read anything right now but recent scandals don’t seem to be a huge factor.

…and CPC right edgers should be chirping pretty soon about private members bills on issues like abortion…which makes Chinese interference pretty palatable to many voters…gone are the days where a single big scandal doomed the incumbents…

So let me get this straight:

You're equating pushing an old lady down some stairs with smiling while taking a picture with High Jackman?

I think your disdain for Trudeau might be starting to cross into unhealthy territory.

Agreed. I've grown to have a very negative view of Trudeau. Yet, I don't see the problem with the picture. He looks like his childish, unserious usual self, but that's hardly new or worth mentioning.

Interesting take by Tom Mulcair.
A key point *he makes:
There are good reasons to believe that Trudeau is looking at this fall as a potential window for calling an election. He’d still be able to hold it under the current electoral map. The new one adds a number of seats that are bound to go Conservative.

Last edited:
Back