• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Authority of Civilian Police

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering here (no need to get in shouting matches), but hypothetically if I were in an armoury in lets say downtown Toronto, and I got into a heated argument with someone and that person decided to punch me out, can I involve the local police and press charges through them.  Or would it have to go through the military.  After reading the thread on officers arresting rights, I started it looking for info related to civilian jurisdiction.  From what I read, it would seem the civilian authorities can have jurisdicition in  case like this.  However I don't speak legal talk very well.  Can someone preferably an MP help answer this.

MP jurisdiction but they can decide to hand it off to the civi police.

I think my72jeep is right. An armoury is DND and therefore Federal property. Civil (ie: other than RCMP) police can enter it if in hot pursuit of an offender, or if summoned by an intrusion alarm under an assistance agreement with the local MPs. A number of armouries in Canada are many miles from the nearest MP det and are protected by local civil police under such agreements. Beyond that, law enforcement on DND property is normally the responsibility of the MPs.

Cheers

The investigation would be handled by the Regular Force MPs whose AOR the Armour is in. Based on the findings of the MP investigation, the unit CO would charge the individual(s) involved. If the National Investigation Service (NIS) does the investigation they will lay the charge. A MOU between DND and civilian police usually concerns response to intrusion alarms in weapons rooms at Armouries. They do not investigate crimes on DND property.

Back