• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic In Aldershot

Whit3

Inactive
Reaction score
Im leaving to camp aldershot the 27th of june and was wondering about weekends. How often will I get the weekend off? If so what will the earnings be for days off while?

I have another question regarding the infantry, considering it's my first year in the reserves what will I expect and look forward too when i begin the course?

Thanks
:cdn:

Are you doing your BMQ/SQ? You should get some weekends off, but I don't think you'll get all of them. It may also depend on how far away you live.  BMQ is lots of fun, and you're lucky to do it in the summer.  I'll be doing my SQ/BIQ there this summer. PM or MSN me if you have more questions.

Thanks for the reply..Yah I am going in for BMQ/SQ...and it's my first year in the reserves...i currently live in the cape and just curious what to expect. What are the living arrangements like?

I haven't been there in a long time, but I've heard that there has been a lot of work done on the barracks. I think it's still H block style. That's army speak for 2 big corridors(which you live in) with a bathroom in the middle. I remember lots of sand, and the mess used to be real good because it was a small base. Not much in the way of night life though.  I think there were two bars out that way, one was "The Anville" and the other was some little sports joint. Again this is 10 years ago so it could be all different now. It's a nice training area, you'll have fun!

I can go back even farther than Rhyno (mid 1980s) to when the Barracks were actually condemned, then again remember that some dated to the Second World War era, and prior. Mind my last summer/fall as staff there (1987) both the "new" Sgts Mess and Fawlty Towers were open and as quarters go not too bad.

I've read on here though that a lot of the summer courses seem to end up living in modular tentage in the field up by range control.

Training area is ok, very small by standards of say Wainwright, Gagetown, pet etc, but sufficient for basic stuff like BMQ/SQ and leadership courses. One advantage to small is little time is wasted getting from point A to B/ Mind you can still get lost in it especially in the â Å“Mayan Ruins.â ?

The camp itself is small, built in the pre all soldiers have cars eraâ ? which again means  getting around is quick and simple.

A couple of pointers.

Never cut across the Parade Square unless you feel like being the Camp RSMs human sacrifice for the weekend.

Always pay compliments to the Black Watch monument up by R&D ( is it still there?). Again failure to do so means the human sacrifice bit.

Kentville, new Minas and Wolfeville are the nearby towns and you can find a few things to keep you occupied there on time off. If you do get a complete weekend off Halifax is only a couple of hours a day and there's regular bus service.

Yeah, they have new barracks, (built I think about 5-7 years ago? Correct me if I'm wrong) as well as the H-huts. They're all right, nothing classy but better than living in a drill hall or under a tent for two months. The valley is pretty boring, although there are some things to do.

Hey,

I really appriciate the information you guys provided im sure ill take it all in consideration, and that's basically all i needed to know for now. If anyone has any additional information id be happy to soak it in.

thannks again

Hi, I did BMQ there just this past Winter. I like it at Aldershot, overall. Specially the food  :D (seriously, I find it quite good).

If they put you in building 216, that'll be better than the H-huts. It's kind of like a hotel only with 2 floors, no carpets and lots of bunks in a room  :)

If you're training with the West Nova Scotia Regiment, they're a good bunch as well.

I had just finished all my testings (app,med,intv,phys) and just awaiting a criminal record check which is schedualed to be complete june 24th. The course is starting june 27th. Will the require me to go pick up gear and what not before the 27th at my regiment? or will they call me a day before and tell me a spacific time to meet at the regiment? Also what is the closing date for the course?

I was there in 93 for my SLC, and of all the things I remember, there was a parade square which was on such an angle, when it rained, at the low end it was a torrent of activity, that being almost raging water. Wierd.

The barracks then were still almost in WW2 condition. The CANEX wasnt much, but I still have my 'In Peace and War' ceramic mug with the Indian head on it. It rests in my bar, and is occasionally used.

There was also a 'newish' Armouries there too for the local Militia unit, I think it was the West Nova Scotia Regiment that lived there.

As for messes, the SGTs Mess was great, as for Pubs, nearby there was one called JRs or JDs or something like that, and to me, it was the Porky's for real. The locals in there seemed to have a mad hatred for soldiers, so beware. The women were not too keen on us either.I was told off a few times   ;D . Another nearby nice pub was the Kings Arm or head or hand or something like that. That was more friendly.

Coming from Saskatchewan, I found the scenery beautiful with orchards and all very green. Halifax too was a blast. Historic Properties and all, the Blue Nose, etc. Plenty of history there too. Things you only read about when coming from the prairies.

I am sure you'll be busy training. Make the best of it.

Oh ya, I used to have a t-shirt too, It was balck, and had in white, some barbed wire, and a saying "Aldershot, a little peace of Hell on Earth".

Regards,

Wes

Back