• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Training (Reserve Force)

P

PteJoe

Hi everyone, I‘ve been reading through this site and find it very informative. But I am curious about everyone‘s experiences at Basic Training since I will try to join for this summer.

What did everyone find to be most difficult?
Some things that you might have wanted to know before going?
Maybe a little of your daily routines?

Thanks a lot,
Joe :) joelp_m@hotmail.com

see ‘a matter of standards‘ for a description of my slack and idle QL2. However, my basic course was especially pathetic. My QL3 was a lot harder. Anyway, here are some of things that I learned.

(I apoligize if I sound pretentious, I‘m not speaking from years of experince here, but I have learned some things)

a) Help out your buddies. The people in your section are your lifeline. You depend on each other. Work together. Teamwork means the diffrence between a hellish course and a bearable one.

b)Don‘t brownnose. The instructers know that you are doing it, and it won‘t impress them. The other people on your course know, and they won‘t be too impressed either.

c)Don‘t try to stand out. It‘s not civi life. Don‘t try and assert your originality. Remain true to yourself, but try and be the gray man.

d)Be physically prepared. Every time we went for a run on QL3 I thought I was going to die. You don‘t need that. Always stay with the troop on runs, but the big thing is to never stop running. And remember that stuburness counts for more than athletic ability.

e)Always remember that life isn‘t fair.

f)Help out your buddies. I know I already said that, but it‘s incredibly important. It‘s your friends who keep you going, and one day your life might depend on them.

For me, the most difficult thing on my QL3 (which I consider my real basic training; QL2 was a joke) was interpersonal conflict. Some people on my course didn‘t like me because since I was female and didn‘t know my place. (the other girls on my course were really quiet and unassuming- that‘s not me) Or maybe they just didn‘t like me. They tried to screw me over and get me kicked off the course, and basicly made my life hell for 4 weeks. (my section was ok so I maintained my sanity) Eventually the course officer found out about this, and the fecal matter hit the rotary coolant device. What I learned from this is to be true to myself. I also believe that if I can survive that, now I can do anything.

(my roomate says the army brainwashed me)

Being "gray" may be easier, but you have a potential to learn more by stepping in and being an active participator. Ask questions;try new things; don‘t be affraid to make mistakes (the instructors won‘t let you hurt yourself), but learn from them; and don‘t be affraid to ask "why do we do it that way?"

:cool: Yard Ape

ok, but don‘t try to stand out for it‘s own sake.
If you have a legitimate question, ask it.
If you want to ask a question to make yourself look smart, don‘t.

Thanks a lot for that information :)
Ender, Yard Ape
Sounds like you had a hard time there Ender :/ but it probably made you strongre in the end.

I am not too ready physically yet, do you think they‘d accept me anyways? If I had difficulties in certain areas?
It is still very cold in Northern Ontario to go running, I live in Sudbury. Although I can run at the gym, it‘s just not the same as running outside. I also do some weight lifting every second day, and some cardio too.

Does anyone have a good starter running routine too? :D

Thanks again

I‘m fairly sure they will accept you, but being accepted into the army and being ready for course are two different things.

And I think I am stronger person now for having gone through all that crap. I‘m going back for my QL5 this summer.

PS: If you want a course this summer I hope you‘ve already started the recruiting process. If not start now.

i‘m in the same boat with Joe, only doing a 2/3 course this summer

tell me something, when i complete my training, may I apply for oversea‘s duties? or will i need more training?

(like, can i do a tour of duty right away?)

I believe that you need you QL3 before you go overseas for instance. My Basic Training would be this summer, I‘m going to apply today as a matter of fact.

I wouldn‘t mind trying an overseas mission as well when I‘m ready. After Infantry training though.

Joe

Some MOC‘s require a QL5 before a reservist can augment an unit going overseas.

a guy from my unit did his QL3, and went on tour right after that. (to Bosnia I think)
They do prefer that you have your 5‘s, but it doesn‘t hurt to apply.
I‘m not sure what the story is with the infantry.

Oh boy, my recruiting process has begun, but I‘m not ready physically.

I just dropped off my papers and they have me scheduled for Apt test and Interview.

I hope they stall for the PT test lol Cuz I‘ll never make it in yet. :eek:

My recruiting process took all of 4 months....I think the fastest they had a guy go through it in the highlanders was 41 days. AND I didnt even have to do teh apt test cause I already did it like a year and half earlier.

I have applied to join the regular forces as a Pilot. I had my interview/test/medical on April 5th. Was supposed to have PT test on the 6th but it was cancelled. Than I was supposed to have it on the 12th it was cancelled again. Now it is scheduled for May 2. I also have an Air Crew medical for May 29. After that they will send me to Trenton, ON for a week for aircrew selection. Hopefully I‘ll be going to basic training at the end of June.

Are they‘re seperate boot camps for the different services (Army, Navy, AF) or do recruits all go throught the same boot camp ?

Thanks.

All new recruits will go throught the same Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) Course. Then they will all go through a seperate course which is specific to element. In the Army this will be known as Soldier Qualification (SQ). Following that, everyone will go through a trades course.

Hi,

I want to know if somebody know where on the net I could found some examples of a program training. I just want to have a training schedule for to be ready to do the basic training this summer.

Thank for your attention.

:tank: HONOUR_12 :cdn:

I am unable to say if this is available on the net, but I suggest you check with your Training Squadron SM (if you have one?) he/she should have that available for you.

Start swimming ,running ,sit up‘s , push up‘s,and in general get your self in shape and your body strength up.

Back