• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves - Occupational experience and full-time opportunities

Blue Jay

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm planning on joining the reserves and I'm hoping to get some feedback to help me choose an occupation to apply for. I've talked to a few recruiters (there are army, air, and navy units in my area). There seem to be a lot of occupations available at the moment that the recruiters said I could apply for.

I have a relevant university degree, so I could potentially apply for an officer occupation. Some of them are certainly interesting. There are also several NCM occupations that seem interesting. Some of the occupations that I am considering are EME Officer, Engineer Officer, Vehicle Tech, Cook, Medical Tech, NWO, and Marine Tech. I've looked at the occupation descriptions on the forces.ca site and watched the intro videos. I've also gone through the forum here to see what people said about these trades.

At the moment, I'm interested in getting a better idea of which occupations would likely give me the most opportunities to take full-time postings (either in Canada or abroad) after I'm fully trained in that occupation. I couldn't find much on the forum about full-time work opportunities for reservists. A few acquaintances in the Reg forces (friends of friends) noted that reservists often do work on full-time contracts - multi-year contracts even. From what I've heard, it's mostly filling positions on bases or at reserve units, while still being officially part of your original reserve unit. Sometimes trade related, sometimes unrelated office type jobs. I've heard that overseas deployments are less common though.

I'm curious about people's experiences with this. Are there any full-time reservists here? What has been your impression of this? How hard is it to get a full-time posting (particularly one related to your trade)? Are there certain trades that have more opportunities for full-time work?

I'm currently back at university (new degree) so I'm not thinking of Reg Forces at the moment. After I graduate, that might be an option but I like the idea of taking a full-time posting as a reservist first to see if I want to make a career out of it.

By the way, I asked the recruiters as well. The army and AF recruiters said that it was hard to predict (but I got the impression that they just didn't want to promise something that they weren't certain about) and that they could really only promise 1 night a week, one weekend a month and summer training/employment. The navy recruiter seemed optimistic that a reservist in the navy could easily get postings or deployments full-time after being fully trained, particularly for ship based occupations.

A sort of related thing that I'm wondering about is occupational training and experience as a reservist. I've seen the lists of things that people learn for the occupations that I'm considering. I've read the descriptions of what they do as part of their job. But, I've also read here on the forum that other than summer training, a lot of reservists don't get much experience putting their skills to use. (Or maybe that was just anecdotal and it depends on the particular unit.) In a way, I guess it makes sense that some trades are only going to get practical experience when there are exercises - like cooks and medical techs. But, what about trades related to maintenance of equipment - like veh techs or marine techs? I think that proficiency in a lot of trades (military and civilian) are partially about learning skills, but much more about practicing those skills and putting them to use on a regular basis. So, I'm just wondering how proficient an EME Officer, Engineer Officer, Veh Tech, Cook, Med Tech, or Marine Tech in the reserves would be. If a reservist in one of these occupations took a full-time posting in their trade, and was working alongside their Reg Force counterparts, would they be far behind them in skill level? If I did switch to Reg Force afterwards, would my experience in the Reserves be worth much? Are there some occupations that get more practical experience than others?

So, long post, lots of questions but if anyone has some insight or opinions that you could share, they'd be much appreciated. Like I said, there are several occupations that I think I'd like and that I'd be good at. I'm just trying to weigh up some of the practical aspects of them now.

Thanks.

I can really only speak for the Naval Reserve, but if you want long term employment at sea, that's generally not going to be a problem. It will take you probably one to two years to get to where you are done recruit and basic occupational training, but then you're good to go. If you go in as an NWO, you will have no shortage of opportunities. That being said, MarTech is also in high demand.

Hello.

I'm planning on joining the reserves and I'm hoping to get some feedback to help me choose an occupation to apply for. I've talked to a few recruiters (there are army, air, and navy units in my area). There seem to be a lot of occupations available at the moment that the recruiters said I could apply for.

I have a relevant university degree, so I could potentially apply for an officer occupation. Some of them are certainly interesting. There are also several NCM occupations that seem interesting. Some of the occupations that I am considering are EME Officer, Engineer Officer, Vehicle Tech, Cook, Medical Tech, NWO, and Marine Tech. I've looked at the occupation descriptions on the forces.ca site and watched the intro videos. I've also gone through the forum here to see what people said about these trades.

At the moment, I'm interested in getting a better idea of which occupations would likely give me the most opportunities to take full-time postings (either in Canada or abroad) after I'm fully trained in that occupation. I couldn't find much on the forum about full-time work opportunities for reservists. A few acquaintances in the Reg forces (friends of friends) noted that reservists often do work on full-time contracts - multi-year contracts even. From what I've heard, it's mostly filling positions on bases or at reserve units, while still being officially part of your original reserve unit. Sometimes trade related, sometimes unrelated office type jobs. I've heard that overseas deployments are less common though.

I'm curious about people's experiences with this. Are there any full-time reservists here? What has been your impression of this? How hard is it to get a full-time posting (particularly one related to your trade)? Are there certain trades that have more opportunities for full-time work?

I'm currently back at university (new degree) so I'm not thinking of Reg Forces at the moment. After I graduate, that might be an option but I like the idea of taking a full-time posting as a reservist first to see if I want to make a career out of it.

By the way, I asked the recruiters as well. The army and AF recruiters said that it was hard to predict (but I got the impression that they just didn't want to promise something that they weren't certain about) and that they could really only promise 1 night a week, one weekend a month and summer training/employment. The navy recruiter seemed optimistic that a reservist in the navy could easily get postings or deployments full-time after being fully trained, particularly for ship based occupations.

A sort of related thing that I'm wondering about is occupational training and experience as a reservist. I've seen the lists of things that people learn for the occupations that I'm considering. I've read the descriptions of what they do as part of their job. But, I've also read here on the forum that other than summer training, a lot of reservists don't get much experience putting their skills to use. (Or maybe that was just anecdotal and it depends on the particular unit.) In a way, I guess it makes sense that some trades are only going to get practical experience when there are exercises - like cooks and medical techs. But, what about trades related to maintenance of equipment - like veh techs or marine techs? I think that proficiency in a lot of trades (military and civilian) are partially about learning skills, but much more about practicing those skills and putting them to use on a regular basis. So, I'm just wondering how proficient an EME Officer, Engineer Officer, Veh Tech, Cook, Med Tech, or Marine Tech in the reserves would be. If a reservist in one of these occupations took a full-time posting in their trade, and was working alongside their Reg Force counterparts, would they be far behind them in skill level? If I did switch to Reg Force afterwards, would my experience in the Reserves be worth much? Are there some occupations that get more practical experience than others?

So, long post, lots of questions but if anyone has some insight or opinions that you could share, they'd be much appreciated. Like I said, there are several occupations that I think I'd like and that I'd be good at. I'm just trying to weigh up some of the practical aspects of them now.

Thanks.
Reserves are definitely intended as a part time occupation, with short full time contracts to complete your courses. If you want full time work, why not join Reg F? If you already have a relevant degree, then you can join as DEO and have a shorter contract than someone going ROTP.
Full time reserve contracts (outside the navy) are harder to come by because you need to be trained in your occupation for starters. And not all trades offer contracts in that trade. So you could be applying for a contract that has nothing to do with what you applied to the CAF as.

I can really only speak for the Naval Reserve, but if you want long term employment at sea, that's generally not going to be a problem. It will take you probably one to two years to get to where you are done recruit and basic occupational training, but then you're good to go. If you go in as an NWO, you will have no shortage of opportunities. That being said, MarTech is also in high demand.

Thanks.

In terms of full-time opportunities (at sea or otherwise), would NWO and Mar Tech have more-or-less the same amount of opportunities? Are cooks also in demand (and have a good chance of full-time work on a ship)?

While doing regular training (at their home unit) throughout the year, do Marine Techs get regular practical experience or training in their trade? Or is that only while on course in the summer?

Reserves are definitely intended as a part time occupation, with short full time contracts to complete your courses. If you want full time work, why not join Reg F? If you already have a relevant degree, then you can join as DEO and have a shorter contract than someone going ROTP.
Full time reserve contracts (outside the navy) are harder to come by because you need to be trained in your occupation for starters. And not all trades offer contracts in that trade. So you could be applying for a contract that has nothing to do with what you applied to the CAF as.

Thanks for the reply.

I've thought about joining the Reg Force. At the moment though, I'm back in school doing a second degree and I'll be at that for the next few years. I also like the idea of doing a full-time job with the reserves for a while before joining the Reg F, largely to see whether I really like doing the job full-time.

Are there some army/air force trades that offer more full-time contracts than others?

Thanks.

In terms of full-time opportunities (at sea or otherwise), would NWO and Mar Tech have more-or-less the same amount of opportunities? Are cooks also in demand (and have a good chance of full-time work on a ship)?

While doing regular training (at their home unit) throughout the year, do Marine Techs get regular practical experience or training in their trade? Or is that only while on course in the summer?
Yes, both NWO and MarTech would have about the same degree of opportunity, as would Cooks. It would be difficult to say how much training a MarTech would get at their home unit, without knowing where you are. The coastal units have the greatest ability to train in-house given their proximity to the fleet. Considerably less so for the inland units.

Thanks for the reply.

I've thought about joining the Reg Force. At the moment though, I'm back in school doing a second degree and I'll be at that for the next few years. I also like the idea of doing a full-time job with the reserves for a while before joining the Reg F, largely to see whether I really like doing the job full-time.

Are there some army/air force trades that offer more full-time contracts than others?

If you're talking about working full time during the summer between semesters, most PRes elements offer something like that.

When we (folks in the CAF) speak about reservist full time employment, we are talking about 6+ month or multi-year contracts which would be incompatible with being a full time in person student.

It's an important distinction to figure out what you're looking for and manage your expectations.

I was under the understanding that in order to get a job in a certain trade in the reserves the unit you're applying to has to have a position for that job. For example, I couldn't join the Toronto Scottish Regiment as an intelligence operator because the unit has no positions for people with that trade.

I believe there are some exceptions. The reserve unit near Petawawa "practically takes anyone" on the account that many spouses of full-time serving members are reservists.

Another thing to consider with the reserves is that some units will still demand you parade on their training nights and weekends even if you have a full-time class B contract. Currently have a friend who works class B full time during the day in a very demanding job and is then expected to parade with his reserve unit 1-2 training nights per week and 2 weekends a month. When they put forward that they were getting burnt out they were threatened with having their class B job canceled so they can attend unit training and not be burnt out.

The reserves can be a really good job but because of their nature and sometimes seclusion, a lot of shady shit can and does go on there.

Another thing to consider with the reserves is that some units will still demand you parade on their training nights and weekends even if you have a full-time class B contract. Currently have a friend who works class B full time during the day in a very demanding job and is then expected to parade with his reserve unit 1-2 training nights per week and 2 weekends a month. When they put forward that they were getting burnt out they were threatened with having their class B job canceled so they can attend unit training and not be burnt out.
This is why I have a modified work plan for my full time staff.

Air Reserve is only fill time, and only at air bases.
HRA/FSA, cook, MMT, and maybe med tech/med A might see more full time opportunities than say infantry.
This page might give you some ideas water there are any full-time positions at units near you.

HRA/FSA, cook, MMT, and maybe med tech/med A might see more full time opportunities than say infantry.
This page might give you some ideas water there are any full-time positions at units near you.
Huh? There are both Class A and Class B opportunities in the Air Reserve, and it’s almost always possible to top up Class A to Class B (for now anyways)

Reactions: MJP
I could be wrong, but I thought I was once told that to be a part of the air reserve, you needed to be ex reg Air Force? Or there were very few Class A air reservists and those that did exist were ex reg Air Force?

Yes, both NWO and MarTech would have about the same degree of opportunity, as would Cooks. It would be difficult to say how much training a MarTech would get at their home unit, without knowing where you are. The coastal units have the greatest ability to train in-house given their proximity to the fleet. Considerably less so for the inland units.

Good to know. Thanks.

If you're talking about working full time during the summer between semesters, most PRes elements offer something like that.

When we (folks in the CAF) speak about reservist full time employment, we are talking about 6+ month or multi-year contracts which would be incompatible with being a full time in person student.

It's an important distinction to figure out what you're looking for and manage your expectations.

I should have been more clear. I meant that I want to work part-time (regular one night a week, one weekend a month, and summers) until I finish my degree. After I've graduated, I'd like to take one or two full-time, long term contracts (preferably doing something related to my trade) as a reservist. And after that decide if I want to continue doing it full-time OR work in the private sector and continue just as a part-time reservist.

I was under the understanding that in order to get a job in a certain trade in the reserves the unit you're applying to has to have a position for that job. For example, I couldn't join the Toronto Scottish Regiment as an intelligence operator because the unit has no positions for people with that trade.

I believe there are some exceptions. The reserve unit near Petawawa "practically takes anyone" on the account that many spouses of full-time serving members are reservists.

The reserves can be a really good job but because of their nature and sometimes seclusion, a lot of shady shit can and does go on there.

That's the impression that I got as well. The recruiters told me a list of occupations that I'd likely qualify for and that they have openings for at their units. But from what I've heard/read, it's not clear whether people in those trades (as a reservist) get much ongoing training or practical experience in those trades other than during the summer.

For example, if someone joined as a Veh Tech (let's say they're in a service battalion), how much time would that person typically spend per month working on vehicles? Either doing actual maintenance or doing practice training exercises on vehicles?

So, I was curious if anyone here could provide some insight from their own experience or observations.

That's good to know about the situation with Class B work and still having to do weekly parades and such. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for the feedback and the link. I'll check that out.

I could be wrong, but I thought I was once told that to be a part of the air reserve, you needed to be ex reg Air Force? Or there were very few Class A air reservists and those that did exist were ex reg Air Force?

The Air Reserve recruiter told me that they have a few occupations open. I presume that they're open for anyone qualified who applies but I didn't ask the recruiter about needing to be ex-Reg F (the thought didn't even occur to me). I would guess that if it's a requirement, the recruiter would have mentioned it. (But who knows?) I also didn't ask about whether it's full-time or part-time (like 1 night a week, 1 weekend a month). I just assumed that it would be mostly part-time. I'll ask about that though if I decide that I want to apply for one of their occupations.

This is what I was told. They aren’t Class B like traditional class B but they are more than class A. I was told you join off the street for some trades but not the hard Air Force trades.

This is what I was told. They aren’t Class B like traditional class B but they are more than class A. I was told you join off the street for some trades but not the hard Air Force trades.

I asked a recruiter. He said that pilots in the Air Reserves are ex-Reg Force pilots. Other trades can be recruited without prior service.

As a bit of a follow-up, in case someone else is later wondering the same things, I asked an Army Reserve recruiter about what people of different trades do on the weekly training night or monthly training weekend. He said that they do get practice doing their trade. In addition, they do some general training like 1st aid skills, and fire fighting (in the Navy), and they do admin when needed. A vehicle tech would do maintenance (possibly repairs) on vehicles or prepare them for weekend exercises. A cook would practice cooking things on a weeknight and prepare the food on weekend exercises.

Back