• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Beginners Weight Lifting

Island Ryhno said:
Do you know why gyms want you to have that certification? Liability and selling, there is a significant amount of selling seminars attached to the can pro fit deal. It also helps the gym sell memberships.
I believe I already said that (certifications, help cover your ass).
However, I never stated to be attached to any gym or have any certification, thus I've not falsely advertised myself as an expert and clearly stated that this is NOT AN EXPERT OPINION and really can't be held responsible now can I.
In your first two posts, you never made any disclaimer that you were not an expert.  In fact you said
I've been weightlifting for years, that's not over training.
That looks like an expert opinion to me, and that is what made me post  my response.
Pretty well everything on this board is opinion based, take the stick out of your behind and add something constructive or don't add anything. I'm not intimidated by your threats.   8)
  I realize this board is opinion based, which is fine as long as those opinions can be backed up (like my opinion in the Ontario auto insurance, that was adivce given to me from the insurance brokers i have dealt with over the last 6 years).  I thought I was adding something constructive, that people should be cautious about accepting unsolicited advice from people whose background and expertise is unknown.  And I have not made any threats just warnings about giving out unsolicited advice.

Ok let me get this straight, it's ok for you to give advice on auto insurance because a broker you have dealt with over the past 6 years says so, but for me to put something up about weightlifting, which I have been doing for 14 years with help from professional trained people (i.e Kinesiologists) is not ok? Umm you're contradicting yourself there aren't you. Again I feel like your just looking to get into a bitch fest here, please just don't post in this topic if it's not up to your standards, stop with the "well I said this and you said that" bullshit it's childish and unbecoming of you I believe. I've clearly stated now that I'm not an expert and advice should not be taken ass so, if your just going to come back with more nonsense, please save the bandwith. BTW you never did tell me what can pro fit certification you have.

It's a shame Rhyno's topic, which had some solid advice for people looking to get fit, degenerated into this.

Can someone possibly .. delete everything except for Rhyno's original post? Good fitness info is hard to come by here (just look at that running topic or whatever its called thats stickied, ppl claiming to work out everyday or running 4 minute miles with no problem) and we finally get some and it turns into this bitch fest by someone who felt the need to just raise hell and voice something no one cared about. Yes Hatchetman that's you.

Anyone who has taken the time and effort to haul their ass to the gym 4 times a week for 14 years is likely going to have picked up a few things along the way. Experience doesn't make you an expert, nor does it give you a qualification, however; I have no idea how anyone could go to a gym so long and not pick up all sorts of theory information, and technique advice. When I started going to the gym it wasn't the indifferent trainers who got me going, but the guys who had been doing it for a long time. With their unqualified advice I have done just nicely, thankyou.

Exactly. A "competent" person is defined as "a person qualified because of his knowledge, training, and experience". It says nothing about certificates or licenses. Training (Watch how I do this. OK, now you try) can be gained from another "competent" person.

And is exactly how my friend there got to where he is (if anyone bothered to look at his picture you will see his results are pretty spectacular).

But he doesn't have a course so I guess he doesn't really know anything.

I believe the maxim "experience is only appreciated by the experienced" can be applied here.

This link is to an awesome program I use, check it out...register for the Max-OT training series and read the info, new info and tips are given each week of a 13 week program. It may not exactly be suited very well to beginners, but there is a lot to be learned here for everyone. There's also some interesting info about personal trainers and learning about technique and exercises from word of mouth.

http://www.ast-ss.com/

I like it because it is all about efficiency. The workouts are short, and deliver results by training with the best methods. There is some advertising, but the program itself is free. Good Luck!

Jone Stone at http://www.johnstonefitness.com/ used the Max OT program to go from a beer belly to ripped. He uses something different now I believe but he highly recommends Max OT as well.

His results seemingly speak for themself. I considered using MAX OT once before but do not want to change what I am doing now. Still may in the future though.

I use a fair bit of the AST product, mostly the L-Glutamine, I like it. Here is a site that has links to lots of training types, I don't recommend any of them for beginners, but as there seems to be some interest in this topic, have a look.
http://forums.jpfitness.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000056;p=0

Steve said:
I considered using MAX OT once before but do not want to change what I am doing now. Still may in the future though.

I fully understand not wanting to change programs, it took a while for me to finally start the Max OT. I'd give it a shot though, as you probably know, you need to keep changing things up on the body...

Island Ryhno said:
I use a fair bit of the AST product, mostly the L-Glutamine, I like it. Here is a site that has links to lots of training types, I don't recommend any of them for beginners, but as there seems to be some interest in this topic, have a look.
http://forums.jpfitness.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000056;p=0

There's a number of references here to T-Nation...I've heard of it, some people at my gym use their programs...I'll probably look into it and give one a try once I have some time to do some research...

Weight training is %10 training and %90 supporting your training.

If you just concentrate on the physical activity you will not get very far. You must eat properly and get enough rest. If you do not you will get skinny and sore and make no real progress >:(.

Food is very important. Even with fancy supplements, most of your calories come from meals. If you think you can live on supplements you will be unsuccessful :-X.  I suggest 6 meals a day emphasizing protein. Supply yourself with a constantly with protein. No big spikes. The average person can only utilize 32-45g of protein at any one time. If you want  a bigger meal after a workout add more carbs not protein. I take in 4500cals a day in 6 meals to sustain my weight.

After getting a muscle base formed is when to start adding more protein. You will notice a huge difference when this is done >:D. A protein shake right after a work out and 30 minutes before bedtime. Then progress into creatine.

Rest is important. It's also very hard to get sometime. 7 to 8 hours is ideal. However 6 hours for the most part will have to do.

You may be thinking how do I know best. I have been strength training for 12 years. I bench press 455lbs and compete professionally in strongman competitions (pulling trucks, flipping cars, atlas stones...)

Back