• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BFT

Should there be a certain amount of work up trg prior to conducting the BFT?

• Yes

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 38.0%

• Total voters
I honestly believe there should not be any 'work-up' training for a BFT. If you can't go out and do 13km with 40 lbs on your back in less than 2 hrs 26 mins, then you have failed yourself only. In my opinion, it should be longer, with more weight. It should be an absolute challenge everytime you do it.

Regardless if your unit doesn't do PT enough, it's up to YOU and YOU only to stay fit. Seek and Accept responsibility...

It's sad when PT gets put on the back burner and more 'Important' things like maintenance, paper work or whatever take priority, but it happens all the time and it still doesn't add up to a valid excuse.

Now I'm not trying to say that i'm the fittest guy around, but if you are out of commission for 3 days after a BFT or have to 'work-up' for 3 weeks prior to a BFT, well maybe other gainful employment should be considered.  :'(

GerryCan said:
I honestly believe there should not be any 'work-up' training for a BFT. If you can't go out and do 13km with 40 lbs on your back in less than 2 hrs 26 mins, then you have failed yourself only. In my opinion, it should be longer, with more weight. It should be an absolute challenge everytime you do it.

Regardless if your unit doesn't do PT enough, it's up to YOU and YOU only to stay fit. Seek and Accept responsibility...

It's sad when PT gets put on the back burner and more 'Important' things like maintenance, paper work or whatever take priority, but it happens all the time and it still doesn't add up to a valid excuse.

Now I'm not trying to say that i'm the fittest guy around, but if you are out of commission for 3 days after a BFT or have to 'work-up' for 3 weeks prior to a BFT, well maybe other gainful employment should be considered.   :'(

CHIMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There should be no need for work up training for the BFT.  All it takes is for troops to incorporate Ruck Marches into their normal PT rutine as part of a balanced PT program.

I am a Pres, I do pt 3-4 times per week.

Wednesday nights I have been doing mostly circuit training with the unit.  Weekends while on my DP2 course we have generally been running on saturdays, and on sundays a more creative exercise is used (last sunday was rucking with c6's, if you didn't have a c6 you had a water jerry).

On my weekends off I generally run on saturdays and ruck with 50 - 60 lbs over an 8km stretch.

I go snowboarding 1-2 times per week.

I generally do some push-ups all throughout the week.  If I am studying I'll sometimes do push-ups during a break, or do push-ups during commercials if I am watching TV.

Simple exercise plan like this has been keeping me in shape  In november I participated in an ex called Rogers Challenge which was basically a big ruck march with various stations each containing different types of training.  On that ex I rucked over 40km carrying 75lbs.

If a small guy like me (135lbs) that does just a little bit of PT (as described above) can ruck 40km, than there is no reason why ANYONE in the army cannot complete the BFT, let alone require workup (unless on rehab from injury).

PPCLI MCpl said:
I just received word in Fridays O Group that 2 PPCLI members will be required to perform the "shellscrape dig" as part the the BFT.   Have any other units re-introduced this portion of the test?

This is now army-wide policy, I'm home on leave today, so I can't pull up the CANLANDGEN, but I remember seeing it recently. There are supposed to be four parts to the Army Fitness Test, the 13km weight-load march, the casualty carry, the ammo-box lift, and the trench dig, for now they don't require the ammo-box lift as it's a supposed admin burden...

I agree that there should be no warning, that work-up training is nothing more than a CYA policy... will the enemy give us any "work-up" combat time? You know, go easy on us until we get our act together?? I think not... lol...

I work in a reserve CBG HQ, we rigidly enforce CF fitness standards, every full-time mbr must complete either the CF EXPRES or AFT each year. 1st failure is a verbal, 2nd a recorded etc... but we also include PT as part of our normal work routine, both group and individual... also no reserve class b contract will be extended or renewed without a valid EXPRES or AFT. It's not perfect but it's a start!

Cheers

Back