• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Big People

What trade Should I enlist in?

• Infantry

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Artillery

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Armour

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Engineer

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
M

Mist1kaL

Do big people make it in to the army, just wondering cuz im a chubby person and  was wondering that so... yea

Well after carefully and thoroughly reviewing the CF recruiting website, the physical fitness requirements, the different trades and the physical demands associated with each and after reading some of the many threads on this site about the physical requirements, what do you think?

You can be chubby and fit at the same time.

If your fit and can do what your asked of, then i see no problem. I've seen many big people in  basic training, they weren't all small toothpicks.

Ofcourse basic training also helps you drop pounds though.

You will need to be fit though - especially running. If you are serious about getting in, you will be need to be able to run at least 5k at a decent pace, and 2.4k at a "pressed" pace (around 10 min for 2.4k)

Doing the 2.4k is easy, as that's just 6 laps around a typical high school running track. You should be able to find a facility where you can practice without too much trouble.

I cannot possibly stress the importance of this enough: during Basic and most of your career courses, you will be doing a lot of running in GROUPS, and if you are incapable of keeping up with the group you will be responsible for inflicting a lot of extra pain and suffering upon your coursemates. This is not a way to win friends and influence people, especially as military courses require a very high level of co-operation and teamwork within the students of the course. Your coursemates will rely on you, and you will rely on your coursemates.

Become the master of your own destiny, and learn to run. Your life will be much happier for it.

DG

have a look around the forum, you will see lots of big people that are trying to get in and that are in.  I am 5'10 239, I am waiting to get selected, so I have made it this far, just be in great shape when you go to your PT.  "You can be chubby and fit at the same time."  yes, you can, but that should not deter you from trying to shed any excess weight.  I have a resting heart rate of 43, blood pressure is bang on, lots of good cholestrol( cannot remember which is which).  I train 9-15 hours a week, I am chubby but when I get to BMQ I will be lighter than I am today, and when I done BMQ I will be even lighter.  My plan is to be 200lbs by this time next year..........Be as fit as you can and keep striving to improve.  While you are getting ready for PT train with people that are in better shape( or faster, stronger, whatever), make it your goal to hang with them.........

train hard, and the best of luck.

respect
FITSUMO

well I'm 5'11 and 221 lbs i can run like 20 laps around my school gym ans we run like 2k every day for warm up so i think i can make it but i have like no time to go to the recruiting center were i live i either have to work or i have homework or something to stop me. NE ways i see alto of big guys in the army around my city its it a Civilian job or what?. I wanna join Combat Infantry when i do join.

"well I'm 5'11 and 221 lbs i can run like 20 laps around my school gym ans we run like 2k every day for warm up so i think i can make it but i have like no time to go to the recruiting center were i live i either have to work or i have homework or something to stop me. NE ways i see alto of big guys in the army around my city its it a Civilian job or what?. I wanna join Combat Infantry when i do join."

If you want in, (wait for it), make the time..............I work 60-75 hours a week, am married and have household duties I must do, I made the time as did most people on this forum.

Its great that you want to join the Infantry, great trade, when you join is up to you and no one else.....the best time to join is when its good for you to join.  Remember that the process takes awhile so the sooner you get started the better.

"NE ways i see alto of big guys in the army around my city its it a Civilian job or what?."  Not sure what your saying here, pls resend.

best of luck to you.

respect
FITSUMO

yea i kno but im 16going on 17 soon so i dont kno when to join

You can also download all the forms from the CFRC website.
Use the pdf to fill them out and print them off....every form you need is on there.

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/home/index_e.aspx

Also, it's not my place to say, but can you please not use msn speak on here.  It makes it easier for everyone to read.

FITSUMO said:
"NE ways i see alto of big guys in the army around my city its it a Civilian job or what?."   Not sure what your saying here, pls resend.

best of luck to you.

respect
FITSUMO

I will translate for you ;D:

Anyways, I see a lot of big guys in the army around my city. Is it a civilian job or what?

hehehe 8)

lol sorry for the MSN talk  I will speak properly and thanks for the link

ok, so now I feel old, thanks for the translation.

respect
FITSUMO

Don't feel old.

I have a 16 yr old brother that I chat with on MSN a few times a week and an 11 year old son to keep up with(I monitor his msn use).

I have become very familiar with the lingo...hehehe ;D

Options:
a) become fit, stay fit, enlist.
b) enlist, suffer through, become fit
c) do none of the above and wonder for the rest of your life if you had what it takes to serve your nation.

ill try option a. but if it dont work then option b. lol thx guys

Mist1kaL said:
ill try option a. but if it dont work then option b.
sounds like a plan. Stick with it. Educate yourself, first. Hit the library before you hit the gym.

paracowboy said:
sounds like a plan. Stick with it. Educate yourself, first. Hit the library before you hit the gym.

very true, the best workout regime is one that is well planned and thought out, otherwise you could end up getting pretty badly hurt not to mention your results could suffer and you could be wasting alot of time instead of maximizing your results. try to read a couple articles on everything you plan to do.

Back