• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bikers son snubbed by Military

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Someone posted this on another forum, thought I would post it here.

http://www.thestar.com/article/279853

TheStar.com - GTA - Biker's son snubbed by military

Would-be soldier, 23, with clean resumé seemingly torpedoed by father's crime sheet

November 26, 2007
Peter Edwards
staff reporter

When Jessi Lenti was 8 years old, his father took him to Canada's Wonderland where he dressed up like a little soldier and posed with a toy gun.

"Dad, this is what I want to do," his father, Frank Lenti, recalls him saying at the amusement park north of Toronto.

Now Jessi Lenti, 23, has been rejected from joining the Canadian military because of his father's long-time association with outlaw biker clubs.

"I'm the criminal, so why punish him?" asked his 60-year-old father, formerly of the Bandidos, Loners, Outlaws, Rebels, Diablos and Satan's Choice motorcycle clubs.

Frank Lenti made his comments from the maximum-security wing of a Toronto-area jail, where he's awaiting trial for second-degree murder after the shooting of three Hells Angels in a Vaughan strip club last December. He has pleaded not guilty.

Jessi Lenti's application for the military was supported by strong references from teachers. He also has a black belt in karate, experience in the Queen's York Rangers' co-op program for high school students – and no criminal record.

"This is me," Jessi Lenti said in an interview. "I'm myself. I'm not my father. Judge me for who I am."

York Regional police Chief Armand La Barge said his force has never considered the young Lenti to have a criminal profile.

"To the best of our knowledge, he (Jessi Lenti) has never been a member of an outlaw motorcycle gang and to the best of our knowledge, he has never been a member of an organized crime group or entity either," La Barge said.

Jessi Lenti, who now works in a bar, is appealing his rejection to the Canadian Human Rights Commission. No hearing date has been set.

He said he was shocked this summer when an officer in the Canadian Forces told him that he couldn't enlist because the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (had concluded he was affiliated with organized crime.

"I was speechless," Jessi Lenti said. "I didn't know what to say.

"I never got anything on paper," he continued, adding he would like a chance to challenge whatever has lined up the military against him.

"What they're trying to tell me is, `We don't want you to do good. Go do bad,'" Jessi Lenti said. "I'm trying to go in a straight line."

He has already unsuccessfully taken his case to his Member of Parliament and the National Defence and Canadian Forces Ombudsman.

Maj. Laurie Kannegiesser of the Canadian Forces in Ottawa says that the military takes its security guidelines from the Government of Canada Security Policy, and in particular, the Personnel Security Standard.

She noted that a person can be denied a security clearance through "reliability as it relates to loyalty, because of personal beliefs, features of character, association with persons or groups considered a security threat, or family or other close ties to persons living in oppressive or hostile countries, the individual may act or may be induced to act in a way that constitutes a `threat to the security of Canada'; or they may disclose, may be induced to disclose, or may cause to be disclosed in an unauthorized way, classified information."

Canadian military historian Jack Granatstein said he has never heard of a case in which the son of a motorcycle gang member has been denied membership in the military because of his family ties.

Granatstein said it's not difficult to guess why the military might be concerned about potential security breaches, but "I've never heard of this kind of thing before."

Jessi Lenti said that he had planned since grade school to enter the military. "I've always wanted to do it, to serve my country. It was going to be a lifetime plan."

Ray Lefaive, Jessi Lenti's former vice-principal at St. Joan of Arc secondary school in Maple, had only good things to say about his former student.

"He was not a bad kid at all," recalled Lefaive, who was in charge of discipline at the Catholic school. "He was one of the better kids. ... There was never any violence, never any drugs."

Lenti only crossed the line on minor things like dress code violations and truancy, Lefaive recalled.

The vice-principal described his father Frank Lenti as a concerned, stricter-than-average parent who gave Lefaive permission to slap his son on the head, if necessary. It was never necessary, Lefaive said.

Asked how his father would likely react if he joined an outlaw motorcycle gang, Jessi Lenti smiled. "He'd hunt me down. He'd probably rip the (club's) patch off and smack me across the head with it."

Lefaive and others knew about Frank Lenti's biker associations.

They were front page news in August 1995, when the senior Lenti was almost killed when someone detonated a remote-controlled bomb hidden under his Ford Explorer, which was parked in the family driveway.

His attackers were never arrested.

Lefaive said his impression was Frank Lenti didn't want his son to embrace the lifestyle of an outlaw biker. "I really always felt that he was sheltered from it," he said.

Frank Lenti agreed with that assessment.

"I had a lot of fun but in the end you end up in a place like this," he said, gesturing at the cinder-block walls of the maximum-security wing of a Toronto-area jail.

"I always told him that I didn't want him involved in my business." Frank Lenti's criminal record includes prison time for extortion and armed robbery.

He's awaiting trial for second-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder for the fatal shooting and double wounding last December of members of the West Toronto chapter of the Hells Angels.

Two members of the Hells Angels are awaiting trial for conspiracy to murder Lenti.

Frank Lenti said he considers it odd that the military can bar someone because of his family ties, while two children of Quebec Mafia boss Vito Rizzuto are practising lawyers in Quebec. Rizzuto is now in prison in the U.S. for his role in three gangland murders.

Jessi Lenti said that his father sometimes mused he should have chosen a more mainstream path in life, such as a politician or a judge.

Ironically, Frank Lenti said he opposes the war in Afghanistan, and shudders at the thought of his son risking his life there, should he win his appeal and get into the military.

"Why should we fight their war?" the senior Lenti asked

Not to nitpick...

"experience in the Queen's York Rangers' co-op program for high school students"

This "experience" describes primary reserve service, and a release at some time??  ???

I personally feel that one should not be punished for one's predecessors misdealings.

JBoyd said:
I personally feel that one should not be punished for one's predecessors misdealings.

How one personally feels is irrelevant.  The fact is father is an admitted criminal in a criminal organization, who given the oppotunity would extract whatever info they could from this person in order to benefit themselves (ie get their hands on weapons and the like).  They (his father and fathers friends) may not be overt in getting info out the guy, but any potential slip from this person, or momentary lapse in judgement, on how and where weapons are stored,  and the times locations and direction of any movement of weapons could have disastrous consequences.

If he had taken steps to distance himself from his dad (or visa versa), like move to the other side of the country, cut off all contact and disavow any knowledge of his existance, then "possibly", I could see him not being a liability.  As it appears, he seems to be quite close to dear ole dad and is in regular contact with him.

Contrary to the article's title, it does not sound like the military rejected him because of who his father is.  It sounds like the military could not accept him because he did not pass the enhanced reliability screening.  That's not the military, that is CSIS.

The only reason to throw blame at the military would be if we want the CF to accept people who fail enhanced reliability.  If he should have passed the screening, then that is another government department which dropped the ball.  ... but not having seen the information collected, are any of us really in a position to make that call?

oh, and the ombudsman does not have much clout outside DND & the CF.

I bet if one were to "look him up" on the net, one might see Mr. Lenti (the son) and his supposed quest to write the wrongs of our government/military... its easy to see.  :D

MCG said:
Contrary to the article's title, it does not sound like the military rejected him because of who his father is.  It sounds like the military could not accept him because he did not pass the enhanced reliability screening.  That's not the military, that is CSIS.

The only reason to throw blame at the military would be if we want the CF to accept people who fail enhanced reliability.  If he should have passed the screening, then that is another government department which dropped the ball.   ... but not having seen the information collected, are any of us really in a position to make that call?

oh, and the ombudsman does not have much clout outside DND & the CF.

I believe he would have already passed the ER screening since the article states he was in the reserve co-op program.  My guess is (the article isn't clear), is that he was going reg force, and required a higher level of clearance.

Personally I don't think he should be punished for his father's history, but I agree with Hatchet Man. If he was allowed in the forces, even by accident he could slip up and reveal information to his father and from father to friends. He wouldn't mean to, but I think its for the greater good of the forces, but thats just my civie $.02

His MP can't do anything, neither can the ombudsman. It's CSIS.

They must have a good reason to not give the "thumbs up" on him.

People have to start realizing that they are applying for a job. It's no change from any other.

You can't just go in and demand a job from anyone on civie street....and you can't from the government either.

The kid has to get over it and move on.

My 0.02 Tolars worth.

I don't think he is any more likely to jump the fence than some random guy approached off the street.

He could "let something slip by accident"?
Come on, whats he goign to let slip? Something that drunk privates and corporals don't already let slip at the bar when drunk.

hell anytime someone mentioned camp mirage it used to be like you were discussing the location of the ark. All you gotta do is google it.

How many of us have relitives that have had criminal records or done something stupid? Even when you apply fromt he OPP they are more interested in your activitives not your families, unless you are specifically involved or associated with illict activities that your family has been dinged for.

Theres a difference between criminal records and being part of many different biker gangs.

Would you let known Canadian terrorists' kids join? Highly doubt it.

Flawed Design said:
I don't think he is any more likely to jump the fence than some random guy approached off the street.

So you know more than CSIS does now?............................

Bruce Monkhouse said:
So you know more than CSIS does now?............................

Gee I don't know Bruce, you ever feel like YOU have a better idea of whats going on than your boss ;)

I know where you're coming from believe me. I especially understand your stance on the matter given your LE backround. I just don't see it as that much of a security risk.

"Would you let known Canadian terrorists' kids join? Highly doubt "
Nope I probably wouldn't because while it's probably hippocritical, personally I believe the son of a biker has considerable different motivation towards joining the military than the son of a known terrorist.

My personal opinion is one should not be judge because of their family, to a certain extent. But I believe theres a bigger reason why he didn't get accepted than this, theres always the part we dont know  ;)

I believe that it's quite likely that Hatchet Man hit the nail on the head. The family relationship with an admitted criminal and that persons known affiliation with various criminal elements of our society would, I hope, result in the failure of an enhanced reliability check. While it is sad that a person who hasn't personally committed a crime can be affected by the actions of the people around them.. I am happy that such safeguards are in place and that they work as well as they do.

Um, why do you folks think that they ask who your mommy, daddy, big bro and little sis are on those pesky security clearance sheets anyway...

They don't just check you out they check your family out.  Now certainly if your dad was busted for buying a gram of hash when he was 23, that won't raise an eyebrow.  But if Dad was importing pounds of hash for a notorious Biker Gang then yeah, it's going to cost you.

People do not have a god given right to join the CF.  They serve at the pleasure of the government or not as the government sees fit.

Reccesoldier said:
People do not have a god given right to join the CF.  They serve at the pleasure of the government or not as the government sees fit.

...and that is the problem. Everyone seems to forget that they applied to the CF, not......

It was not completely unheard of in the early/mid 70's(most likely before than also) of giving someone a choice of 5 years in jail or 5 years in the military. I personally know of one case who was a biker.

X Royal said:
It was not completely unheard of in the early/mid 70's(most likely before than also) of giving someone a choice of 5 years in jail or 5 years in the military. I personally know of one case who was a biker.

Yeah and things change and stricter regulations are put in place.

Back