• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bladder Bustin Fun!

gun plumber

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been reading differnt posts from people who have had the bladder made by platypus break on them. Now I own a platypus "hoser" 2L and am wondering if its going to suffer the same fate as the rest of these bladders.Is it a case of abuse\improper usage ie-worn under a ruck or packed under heavy objects,or is the platypus bladder just cheaply made?
I would'nd think thier cheaply made because anything that sports a lifetime garantee must be well made so the company won't have to constantly be replacing them.
Has anyone looked into this?Is it difficult to replace one of these bladders?Any tips to avoid breaking them?

A man concerned about his bladder

They're easy enough to pick up on the cheap at MEC or a little more costly at SportChek etc. Though the former would be cheaper.
All sizes of bladder for your water retaining needs

Has anyone looked into this?Is it difficult to replace one of these bladders?Any tips to avoid breaking them?

I think you should lose the platypus and go with the camel pak. It is such a convenience, and allot of the guys in my Pl had them on pre-deployment trg, not on broke. Plus we found it funny to watch the platypus guys trying to fill them, with that unhandy ziplock style bladder.

Good luck...

For my one bladder break, it was actually a faulty seam somewhere.  The company was really good about replacing it and I use it now for my mountain biking, or any short excursions but not if I have need of anything serious (not that I have that requirement often anymore).  It took about three weeks and a letter detailing the conditions of the break including weight in the pack etc. before they would replace the bladder free of charge.  Worked out in the end, but I've had more success with the CamelBak bladder under heavier loads.

I use a camelbak 3 L job, milspec, and its been thru helll, but I do maintain it, inside and out, ensuring nothing begins to grow in it, etc, and when not in use, it hangs inverted with the lid off.

Regards,

Wes

I've had a 3LT Platy for the past 7 months and it hasn't bursted on me. Mainly this is because I don't wear a pack on it (just strap it to ruck or pack, wear it by itself when not in travel order) and I don't use the zipper opening to fill it (unless time is a factor.) Not a problem with it.......but then again results can vary. :)

Back