• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot cleaning / polishing / care of

People just have to quit taking things so personal. Nothing I said was pointed at either the OP or anyone else here. Mind, if the parade boot fits, etc.

If you have never come across someone in the Forces that you have watched and said " How the frig did they get in", you've been living in a closet.

recceguy said:
People just have to quit taking things so personal. Nothing I said was pointed at either the OP or anyone else here. Mind, if the parade boot fits, etc.

If you have never come across someone in the Forces that you have watched and said " How the frig did they get in", you've been living in a closet.

I say that several times a week.

The question shouldn't be how did they get in, but why are they still here. A plug can only slide through for so long on his/her own. After that, it is the CoC that isn't doing their job, usually because its easier to pawn them off on someone else then following the process.

Strike said:
Personal discipline and pride and integrity.  Pretty sure they didn't teach you to paint your boots on basic.

Thanks Strike, forgot about that one, it was a fast post and I was cheesed at the thought of "painted boots"  !!!  :threat:

:salute:

recceguy said:
Never heard of painted parade boots. I have seen floor wax used, but I've never seen any painted.

May I remind you of the day when they replaced the can of Silicone treatment for our boots that had Blackener (?) in it with two equal sized cans; one of silicone and one of liquid black polish?  If one only used the "Black" can, it was the same as painting your boots.  It looked sharp for a couple of hours and then it began to peel.  Nothing like having boots that were peeling like the paint on a derelict house.

The other downside of that ‘paint’ was it tended to rot your boot leather.

recceguy said:

That's a red herring.  I look at plenty of people on a daily basis and say that, but it's not because of how their boots are shined, it's because they're a bag of hammers with no common sense and couldn't care less about how things work outside of their little bubble.

I've yet to come across it, but if one of my subordinates paints his boots and they look shiny, they're going to get top marks from me for dress and deportment.  If those in charge of dress policy don't like painted boots, they should address it via the dress regs.

George Wallace said:
May I remind you of the day when they replaced the can of Silicone treatment for our boots that had Blackener (?) in it with two equal sized cans; one of silicone and one of liquid black polish?  If one only used the "Black" can, it was the same as painting your boots.  It looked sharp for a couple of hours and then it began to peel.  Nothing like having boots that were peeling like the paint on a derelict house.

The other downside of that ‘paint’ was it tended to rot your boot leather.

That was for our combat boots though George, not our parade boots.

Boots is boots, expediency is expediency.  If it was okay to put that authorized nasty black silicone on your combat boots, why not to paint your parade boots?  Just FYI,  I never used either substance on any footwear, a purely personal decision.

recceguy said:
That was for our combat boots though George, not our parade boots.

True, but many of the products on the market at the time, had the same effects.  I saw guys using the Kiwi liquid polish and eventually the boots looked like crap after a few applications.  Not too often did one see a truly mirror shine with these products.

George Wallace said:
True, but many of the products on the market at the time, had the same effects.  I saw guys using the Kiwi liquid polish and eventually the boots looked like crap after a few applications.  Not too often did one see a truly mirror shine with these products.

I can tell you that if the boots are properly prepared, and the Leather Luster is properly applied, the boots look like mirrors - almost cartoonishly so.  As I mentioned before, we put a little Kiwi polish on them afterwards to take down the shine a few notches.

Unfortunately, after about a year, they pretty much shatter like a pane of glass, and have to be stripped to bare leather and redone.

For a short time I used Master Spray Shine.  It works great but it cracks in the folds of your shoes/boots.  It was best only for the toes and heels.  Scuffs could be fixed in seconds.  The allure of it wore off after a while and I found hard work was more desirable and more effective in the end.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I do not see what the big deal is, why would someone spend all night busting thier ass for the perfect shine, when they could accomplish it in minutes?

Nice troll. Better explain yourself.

The Army.ca Staff

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:

The Army.ca Staff

I agree with him, Kat and others in that if it is a more efficient and allowed then go for it.  I fail to see how his comment is trolling unless I am missing some nuance somewhere. 

MJP said:
I agree with him, Kat and others in that if it is a more efficient and allowed then go for it.  I fail to see how his comment is trolling unless I am missing some nuance somewhere.

No backing up of anything at all....a comment guaranteed to get people riled up and it did in spades.

For cripes sake, it's shining boots. Not painting the Mona Lisa.          ::)

No backing up of anything at all....a comment guaranteed to get people riled up and it did in spades.

For cripes sake, it's shining boots. Not painting the Mona Lisa.          ::)

To be fair, it was the OP (a one-hook Pte) who stirred the pot suggesting that wearers of painted boots should be summarily charged (with what, I'm not quite sure), when s/he wasn't even aware that there isn't anything in the dress regs prohibiting it.

Regardless, I don't think it's on the national dress committee's radar, else I think we'd have seen something official on the subject in the last 25+ years.

I shine my foot ware and blacken my sea boots. I know a few that take a shortcut and use the spray on and what not. If its not in the reg's then so what, its up to them if they want to shine with polish or not. I have bigger things to worry about than to worry if someone is not using polish or not. They are still shined are they not?, but in a different way.

The Army.ca Staff

Explain?

No problem.

Personally I use polish and a cloth, and I find polishing boots to be somewhat relaxing.

I found that during my PLQ that the staff tried to induce extra stress by telling you to work on your boots, and surprisingly some of my course mates would stress about it.  What ended up happening is that some folks would spend way too much time polishing their boots and less time on other things.  I personally had one inspection where I was told that I had to work on the boots, and that there better be a big improvement for the next inspection (next day).

Well do you think I touched my boots that night? No, I did not, because I spent my time prepping a lecture and memorizing some drill movements for instruction.  When it was all said and done at the end of the night, I went to bed.  Sleep is much more important than a shine, I knew that a crappy shine was not going to get me RTU'd, but screwing up a lecture or something else would. That would have been a good night for a so-called boot polish short cut.  The next morning, I was told that the boots were looking good, and it was clear that I worked on them.  Sure I worked on them, I moved them from the bed to the floor, then back to the bed for inspection.

I always thought of the "work on your boots" comment to be one that was said so you didn't have recruits sitting around with idle time. If someone has a busy schedule and they decide to paint their boots, or whatever they do, and happen to get a spectacular shine, then go for it.  I do not see a problem with that, if it works and it looks good then go for it.  If it frees up more time for studying/prepping then I see it as a good thing, whatever works for the individual.  For me the best method is the traditional one, its easy and I know I won't screw up my boots. 

3 pages on shining or painting boots, seriously!!! 

But I do have 1 quick question:  How does not polishing boots or painting boots show a lack of integrity or a lack of discipline in my primary military function?

SupersonicMax said:
3 pages on shining or painting boots, seriously!!! 

But I do have 1 quick question:  How does not polishing boots or painting boots show a lack of integrity or a lack of discipline in my primary military function?

Well, my "extrapolation" is,

-if you can't take care of your footwear, how can you take care of your uniform?
-if you can't take care of your uniform, how can you take care of a weapon?
-if you can't take  care of your weapon, how can you take care of your buddy?
-if you can't take care of your buddy, how can you take care of Bravo?
-etc....

It may be a really archaic way of looking at things, but it's worked for me in Civy jobs for 15+ years....
And worked well.

I get that from boots.

Hammer Sandwich said:
Well, my "extrapolation" is,

-if you can't take care of your footwear, how can you take care of your uniform?
-if you can't take care of your uniform, how can you take care of a weapon?
-if you can't take  care of your weapon, how can you take care of your buddy?
-if you can't take care of your buddy, how can you take care of Bravo?
-etc....

It may be a really archaic way of looking at things, but it's worked for me in Civy jobs for 15+ years....
And worked well.

I get that from boots.

So if I haven't shone/blackened my boots in 6+ months it means I cannot fly my airplane properly?  Or am I missing something?

Back