• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boots

• Thread starter sirmckinnon
  • Start date
S

sirmckinnon

heyhey.
Got a question, I have a pair of CF combat boots,, the leather is new but the treads are starting to flatten out,. If i was to bring them with me to st.jean, would there be a leather repair shop there that puts PROPER MILITARY TREADS on combat boots.... or am i S.O.L

I figure it would be better to take a pair that are already broken in. :warstory:

peace., Aaron

I would suggest you don't bring anything that's not on the kit list. Basic training is the last place you want to be different. You'll have tons of time to break in new boots before you're forced marching in them.

Cheers

do you use normal boot polish on your combat boots? i.e kiwi or moneysworth & best............. :cdn:

When I polish my boots I use Kiwi, but since I'm aircrew it's not exactly a requirement to polish everyday since polish is a fire hazard or so everyone says. If you get gortex boots, normal Kiwi polish will ruin them, you have to use other stuff on them which I think is issued but don't quote me on that.

Could you describe "the treads are starting to flatten out" a bit more? like, the bottom of your boot is becoming "bald" (i.e. no treads left) or what?

ya the treads on the bottom are worn down, so patches of the rubber sole are bald,,,,
but ya i figured there might be a place that actually has stock replacement soles,,,,, i know this sounds retarted but i really love those boots, nothing worse than drawing crusty boots from supply, they dont care if the boot has holes, and I know, i worked in military supply for a whole summer,,,,,we didnt care,,,why would they,,,im 1 of1000 people asking them to "hook me up"... anyhoo,,,,,,nuff  ranting

Uh... I doubt that you'll draw too many "crusty" boots from supply, nor many with holes in them.  Boots are considered "next to skin", and as such, when Cpl Bloggins turns a used pair in, they don't get issued out again to another person.  They get sold off as surplus.  If you were, by chance, to get a defective pair then you could excange them immediately.

I'd be interested to know what "military supply" you worked at in which this was not the case.

I have never had a problem with Base issuing me new boots and I work in a Militia regiment supplied by a Navy Base! If thats not a conflict! Anywho, I would go to St Jean without your boots as suggested by Inch because if you like them that much all St Jean will say is turn them in and we'll give you new ones. If you want them to replace the soles you will have to go to a cobbler to get that done.

hey thanks for slapping some sence into me,,, i almost forgot the military's favorite game, if they can, they will. i can hear it now,
"brought your own boots eh? well throw them the f#@$ out!!"
"please sgt. no i love those boots",
"really? well mabey you'll love push-ups just as much, give me 25"
"ahhhh. crap, shoulda left them at home"

thanx.. Aaron

Yes, supply is required to dispose of footwear after it is returned.

That said, it doesn't always happen. The first two pairs of boots I received in Saint-Jean had someone else's name written in them, and were already partially broken in. Another buddy of mine had the same thing happen to him. Now, at the time, I didn't know the rules and I was just a newbie anyways, so I didn't say anything.

Good luck on your course.

Back