• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Borat And Kazakhstan

career_radio-checker

Inactive
Reaction score
I thought this was just hillarious.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060928/borat_white_house_060928/20060928?hub=TopStories

From CTV news
Re: Borat a growing PR headache for Kazakhstan
date:  Thu. Sep. 28 2006 6:58 PM

Borat a growing PR headache for Kazakhstan
Updated Thu. Sep. 28 2006 6:58 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

U.S. President George Bush is expected to meet the leader of Kazakhstan Friday to discuss a range of topics -- possibly including a public relations nightmare, caused by a fictional Kazakh reporter named Borat Sagdiyev.

British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen created Borat as a bumbling journalist. His sketches present  Kazakhstan as sexist, anti-Semitic, homophobic and completely at odds with most Western values.

Last week, British papers reported Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev would discuss the film with Bush during their meeting, although Kazakhstan Embassy Press Secretary Roman Vassilenko later denied the claim.

He told ABC news that the meeting would instead focus on the U.S.'s growing political and economic ties with Kazakhstan. America has invested $15 billion US in the oil-rich nation.

But Borat appears to be a growing headache for Kazakhstan, and a major political issue. The popular character will soon appear in cinemas in the United States, when Cohen's film Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan gets a wide release on Nov. 3.

The Kazakhstan government has already taken steps against any potential negative publicity from the film, which one official said will not be screened in the country.

Officials earlier shut down an official Borat website with the Kazakhstan designation ".kz," and on Wednesday, the government took out a four-page public relations advertisement in The New York Times.

The ad, which does not mention Borat, is titled "Kazakhstan in the 21st century: Looking outward." It features several articles on the country's growing economy, and one story features the headline: "Conclave calls for religious tolerance among all faiths throughout the world."

On the eve of Nazarbayev's meeting with Bush, Cohen tried to enter the White House in character as Borat, and said the ad was actually created by Uzbekistan to discredit Kazakhstan.

"If there is one more item of Uzbek propaganda claiming that we do not drink fermented horse urine, give death penalty for baking bagels, or export over 300 tonnes of human pubis per year, then we will be left with no alternative but to commence bombardment of their cities with our catapults," Reuters quoted Borat as saying.

Last year, the government threatened to take legal action against Cohen when he appeared as Borat during the MTV Europe Music Awards.

But its efforts have so far only added to Cohen's comedic ammunition. Speaking in character as Borat, he appeared in a video on his website, saying he had no connection with Baron Cohen and supported his country's decision to "sue the Jew."

He went on to "defend" Kazakhstan as a modern society, saying: "Since the 2003 Tuleyakiv reforms, Kazakhstan is as civilized as any other country in the world. Women can now travel on inside of bus, homosexuals no longer have to wear blue hats, and age of consent has been raised to eight years old."

I've watched all the Borat films on you tube and love them, I think Cohen is a genius and this film will make him rich.
can't wait to see it.  ;D

edit: I make bad spell

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/28/borat.reut/index.html

White House turns away 'Kazakh reporter' Borat

Kazakh official to Borat: come visit

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061019.wborat1019/BNStory/Entertainment

Would he go :) ?

Yrys said:
Kazakh official to Borat: come visit

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061019.wborat1019/BNStory/Entertainment

Would he go :) ?

If he does, he will be execute!

Geez, maybe Sacha Baron Cohen isn't too far off the mark with his Borat skits; can't wait for the movie - Jagjemash!

:rofl:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061031/kazakh_borat_061031/20061031?hub=Entertainment

Kazakh anger has yet to ebb over Borat
Updated Tue. Oct. 31 2006 8:16 AM ET

Associated Press

ALMATY, Kazakhstan -- Borat beware: Accept an invitation by a top Kazakh official to find out what the country is really like and you could be in for a nasty surprise.

"I'd kill this impostor on the spot," said Eltai Muptekeyev, who makes his living in Almaty by posing for photos with a blindfolded falcon clinging to a thick leather glove on his hand.

As British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen's movie about his bigoted, English-mangling creation Borat Sagdiyev hits screens in Europe and the United States, the horror and outrage among Kazakhs of all stripes over the way their nation is being misrepresented has not gone away.

Borat has told the world that Kazakhs are addicted to horse urine, enjoy shooting dogs, view rape and incest as respectable hobbies, and are fond of pursuits like "running of the Jew" festivals.

In "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan," the fictional Kazakh journalist travels to the United States to make a documentary and bring his findings back to his homeland. Along the way he falls in love with Pamela Anderson.

Even the nation's most liberal political voice had bellicose words for Borat.

"If it happened in a country where rules are more strict than ours, there would have been a government decree to destroy Borat," said Zharmakhan Tuyakbai, leader of the opposition National Social-Democratic Party.

"Even if we set aside his (offensive) personality, he should certainly bear responsibility for his offensive words."

But some Kazakhs were starting to see the humor.

Aigul Abysheva, a third-year linguistics student at Almaty State University, said she at first was "disgusted" by Borat's jokes, especially by his "chain of importance" -- where dogs and horses are higher than women.

"But then I realized he was making fun of ignorant people, no matter where they come from," she said. "The real target of Borat's movie is a couch potato who believes that Kazakhs drink horse urine."

Kazakhstan's deputy foreign minister, Rakhat Aliyev, recently extended an invitation to Borat to find out the truth about Kazakhstan.

"He can discover a lot of things. Women drive cars, wine is made of grapes and Jews are free to go to synagogues."

He also said his compatriots were overreacting.

"We must have a sense of humor and respect other people's freedom of creativity," Aliyev said in a recent interview with Kazakhstan Today.

But many Kazakhs still bristle at the way they are being portrayed. Svetlana Chuikina, an anchorwoman on Kazakh television, said Borat didn't even look the part.

"He might look like a Turk, but definitely not like a Kazakh," she said.

An ethnic Russian, she considers Kazakhstan her homeland -- just like the people of some 100 ethnic groups living in the ex-Soviet republic the size of Western Europe. Ethnic Kazakhs amount to just a half of the population of 16 million.

Covered with steppe and deserts and blessed with immense oil reserves, Kazakhstan is one of the fastest growing economies in the former Communist bloc. The streets of Almaty are jammed with expensive SUVs, restaurants are packed, and boutiques offer fine Italian shoes.

Having been part of two giant empires -- that of the Mongols and the Soviet Union -- Kazakhs are equally proud of their nomadic heritage and European education.

"Our way of thinking is mostly European," said Tuyakbai, the opposition leader. "For 70 years we lived in a totalitarian state, and successfully transformed our society in just 15 years of independence."

His tone changed when the conversation turned to Borat.

"If I see him, I'll hit him in the face," he said.

I think its hilarious he doesn't go out of character... or not yet at least.

:)

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/51113.0.html

Édit :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6101578.stm

Baron Cohen 'gets £22m film deal'
Borat's film was screened as part of the London Film Festival
Borat creator Sacha Baron Cohen has reportedly signed a $42.5m (£22m) film deal starring his comic creation Bruno.

Merged the threads are being yes?

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 100 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

That doesn't seem necessary to me, it's nothing major, just a peck of informations...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/02/21/showbuzz/index.html#1

Kazakh envoy seeks to dispel "Borat" image

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (Reuters) - Kazakhstan's envoy to the United States on Tuesday defended his country against "misconceptions" caused by the hit comedy film "Borat" and its misogynistic, anti-Semitic, fictional Kazakh TV reporter.

Speaking at Yale University, Kanat Saudabayev presented the former Soviet state as a modern nation of well-educated professionals and a major non-OPEC oil exporter.

I watched Borat yesterday, very nice ;D However I could have done w/o the naked man wrestling match and the length of the censor bar on Cohen's member was a tad over-emphasized.

It was one of the funniest films i've seen in a long time. The film maker is a genuis for pulling this off. ;D

Back