• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bringing a laptop along

kelly874

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if any navy guys can answer this question for me - is it allowable to bring a laptop computer on board with you, and if so, does anyone do it?  Thanks.

Depends on your ship policies, if you are allowed you would have to register it with the Coxn, but gawd forbid you have anything questionable on it.....

Ex-Dragoon said:
Depends on your ship policies, if you are allowed you would have to register it with the Coxn, but gawd forbid you have anything questionable on it.....

As well, you should have it registered through Canada Customs so they don't try and ding you with taxes after a trip.... or bring the original receipt with you.

For the customs issue, all you need is a Y38 card. Customs will stamp the card and record the serial number, any customs office will have these. It is also good if you travel with a camera or any other electronic devices.

Going to dig around in my notes for the source on this, but I know for a fact there are published public results of detection and cross matched DF'ing of Bluetooth transmissions [nominal effective range of +/- 10 meters] sensed and identified to specific cataloged emitter devices at ranges greater than 60 nautical miles* from 0- 26,000 ft. s.l., clear environment.

Can't imagine the consequences should an Ex or something worse be blown because somebody fired up their snazzy laptop to work on their book or journal.

* thats well within Harpoon range - originals, copies and knock offs of which form the most prolific Naval SSM at the present time. 

Whiskey, I can't wait untill you start speaking English...

DFing is a baaaad thing. In the engineers, DFers get sent to 4 ESR.... :D

whiskey601 said:
Going to dig around in my notes for the source on this, but I know for a fact there are published public results of detection and cross matched DF'ing of Bluetooth transmissions [nominal effective range of +/- 10 meters] sensed and identified to specific cataloged emitter devices at ranges greater than 60 nautical miles* from 0- 26,000 ft. s.l., clear environment.

Can't imagine the consequences should an Ex or something worse be blown because somebody fired up their snazzy laptop to work on their book or journal.

* thats well within Harpoon range - originals, copies and knock offs of which form the most prolific Naval SSM at the present time.  

It can't be any worse than the TACAN, Radar, or IFF/Transponder we have on the Sea King.

Seriously though, I don't recall if there was a rule stating that any wireless options are to be disabled.

Question, was the DF'ing done on a Bluetooth adapter that was 3 decks down right on the waterline in a steel ship? I would tend to think that most RF transmissions would be blocked by the steel bulkheads and the only real threat would be if buddy was on the upper decks with it during an exercise instead of being at action stations where he should be.

Inch said:
It can't be any worse than the TACAN, Radar, or IFF/Transponder we have on the Sea King.

Seriously though, I don't recall if there was a rule stating that any wireless options are to be disabled.

Question, was the DF'ing done on a Bluetooth adapter that was 3 decks down right on the waterline in a steel ship? I would tend to think that most RF transmissions would be blocked by the steel bulkheads and the only real threat would be if buddy was on the upper decks with it during an exercise instead of being at action stations where he should be.

With emissions being able to be picked up more easily with todays technology and no doubt even easier with tomorrows do we really want to take that chance?

Ex-Dragoon said:
With emissions being able to be picked up more easily with todays technology and no doubt even easier with tomorrows do we really want to take that chance?
I'm told the US Navy has WIFI deployed onboard some of its ships (CVNs, from what I heard).  Obviously it would be the first thing to go down under an EMCON policy, but apparently the hull and emissions-inhibiting paint are enough to mitigate the security concerns.  Does anyone know any more about this?

Ex-Dragoon said:

Depends on what you're hiding from.

Being completely Emcon free isn't going to stop aircraft from OTHT, especially if whatever targeting you is outside SOR. Oh the advantages that altitude brings!

I don't know off hand the Navy's official policy on it, but it seems to me that it would be quite difficult to hide all noise whether it be sonic or RF, maybe the Victorias can be totally silent but they're designed for that, I have my doubts that the 330s can and certainly not the 280s.

In any case, the CCR is where you register all electronic devices, everything from MP3 players to Laptop computers and if they say you can't use it for one reason or another, you can't use it. End of story.

http://www.cse.dnd.ca/en/documents/publications/gov_pubs/itsb/itsb02.pdf

Check it out! I do not know the answer with Bluetooth. I do not understand why you would want it at sea?

Our biggest OPSEC concern is from our own troops and the SHF and Email.

802.11b Signals will not go through a Ship's hull.  

There is no specific requirements as of yet to have a wireless feature disabled.

It varies from ship to ship, check with your supervisor who will run it by the cox'n. I've had mine on a couple of ships, just has to be registered.

As for bluetooth, I doubt bluetooth signals would go through a ship's hull as well.

Edit: Having a laptop at sea is a great idea. Especially if you're a 1 in 2 watchkeeper. It gives you something to do when you don't have enough time for a llegitimatenap before going back on watch. (IE Battle Problem, Cleaning Stations, etc.) Just make sure it's secured, and is password protected. You cannot also move things between DIN workstations on board and your laptop. And Don't even THINK about having USB Drives....

Speak with the ISSO onboard. They will be able to tell you what the regulations are or contact a higher authority to inquire.

Imprezzed said:
You cannot also move things between DIN workstations on board and your laptop. And Don't even THINK about having USB Drives....
Ah yes, the dastardly "flash" memory sticks....... if anything can give the unit / ship's security officer going - that's it.
So much more data capacity, sooooo sonvenient..... sooooo easy to misplace / get stolen.

On all the ships I have been on, it has never been a problem to bring a laptop.  Your laptop will be registered with the CCR - at one point in time we checked to make sure that your laptop had the lastest virus updates on it but as of a while ago we've pretty much tightened the noose on transferring data between civillian computers and DND computers.

Only approved memory sticks will be used on DND computers - that is to say - no personal memory sticks - on my ship if you use your personal memory stick and we find out, it becomes our property.

This goes for MP3 players and PDA's as well! 

Registering your equipment with the Coxn is a good idea as well - On long ops/exercises especially where you'll be outside Canadian waters - the Coxn will have a book where you will log all your personal goodies by serial number.

There is also a policy stated in Ships Standing Orders with regards to using headphones onboard with your laptop / MP3 player - that is, you're to use them at a low volume and to have them covering one ear so you can hear any emergency pipes.

When you join a ship,it is a requirement that you read Information Systems Security Orders!!!

Any questions about the above can be answered by your friendy CCR staff!

Ryan

I have a few questions about computers and electronics on Canadian ships...

I was wondering what kind of computers Canadian warships use. Do you guys only have computers hardwired to the ship? Or do you use PCs and Laptops? What are they used for? Are the computers fast and efficient enough to perform operations?

How fast is the ships computer processor? How much RAM does it have? How big is the hard drive? What OS does it use? How is it similar or different from a normal civilian PC? What is it's graphic user interface like? Is the computer easy to use? Any bugs or annoying things about the computer or software?

Why are non DND USB keys a big no, no? What sort of information are inside them?  Do the ship computers even have USB ports?

What is the big deal with bringing your own laptop / cellphones / PDAs and why would Customs tax you for it?

CF-22 Raptor said:
I have a few questions about computers and electronics on Canadian ships...

I was wondering what kind of computers Canadian warships use. Do you guys only have computers hardwired to the ship? Or do you use PCs and Laptops? What are they used for? Are the computers fast and efficient enough to perform operations?

How fast is the ships computer processor? How much RAM does it have? How big is the hard drive? What OS does it use? How is it similar or different from a normal civilian PC? What is it's graphic user interface like? Is the computer easy to use? Any bugs or annoying things about the computer or software?

Why are non DND USB keys a big no, no? What sort of information are inside them?  Do the ship computers even have USB ports?

What is the big deal with bringing your own laptop / cellphones / PDAs and why would Customs tax you for it?

Holy OPSEC Batman!

Raptor, why do you want to know all this? Logic and common sense would tell me that most of the info you asked for is probably classified to some extent.

I will comment on the USB Key though, they're not permitted because the DWAN is a secure network and any portable media (ie USB keys or disks) can be used to take info from the network, thus, only DND issued media is permitted to be plugged into DND computers. If you use your own USB key, it can and most likely will be confiscated.

There is no big deal with bringing laptops or cell phones or anything thing else electronic, there are however rules that govern when you use it for obvious operational and security reasons. The Customs problem has more to do with the fact that they don't know whether or not you've had that computer for a while or if you've bought it in the last port which would mean it's subject to duty charges.

Back