• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

@FJAG

I found his reference to the 122mm rocket interesting - I believe that is the old BM21-Katyusha round.

The principal drawback of Iron Dome is its cost. The Katyusha rockets favored by Hamas and Hezbollah typically cost about $300 a round, while the Iron Dome’s Tamir missiles cost anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000 each, depending on whose numbers are being quoted.

I assume that the Israeli EPIK kit is analogous to the US M1156 with a unit cost of US$13,541

I found his reference to the 122mm rocket interesting - I believe that is the old BM21-Katyusha round.
Katusha is short hand for any Soviet/Russian MRLS system, originally truck mounted.
BM21 are GRAD, or other version, from Iran, Arash.
The $300 ones are mass produced, but in an ad hoc manner from water pipes or similiar material. Their propellant is not produced in what we would call a factory and their payload is often repurposed explosives. The calibre Rangers from under 100mm to some under 200mm. Larger rockets are supplied by Ian and Syria.

Technically Grad and Katyusha refer to the launchers. Katyusha referred to the initial pre WW2 BM-13 but then - like the term Kleenex - was applied to various versions of it like the BM 8 and 31 and even later systems and their rockets. The initial rockets - the M13 and M8 - were 132mm and 82mm in diameter respectively.

The BM-21 Grad went into service in 1963 using the M-21 series of 122mm rocket system.

No idea about the Israeli's guidance package

🍻

Back