• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Sexual Misconduct PR War- Swerved Into a Mess Discussion

No surprise and pretty much expected. The SMSRC seems to be picking up speed in its delivery and the upcoming zoom discussion on April 11 will be interesting. Curious if Lise Bourgon will be attending and ask for "more positive" stories from MST survivors to help recruiting efforts again...

Link removed as posting that link is a violation of site guidelines

Milnet.ca Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
That author is not permitted to be discussed on this site.

Where did the original thread go ?

'Places', probably ;)

The X Files Pixel GIF by fulifuli

Can't find the sexual misconduct thread, so I'll post it here.

Holding everyone to one drink at the Christmas Dinner, better make sure that it lasts for all the toasts.

Just more devolution of the traditions of the CAF as we move ever closer to being just another corporate hellscape. Good news is there will be so few people left in a few years it won’t matter anyways.

Just more devolution of the traditions of the CAF as we move ever closer to being just another corporate hellscape. Good news is there will be so few people left in a few years it won’t matter anyways.
I know I have brought up that the government will eventually completely get rid of messes. I think we are starting to see it creep in that direction.

I know I have brought up that the government will eventually completely get rid of messes. I think we are starting to see it creep in that direction.
Instead of mess dues, there will be union dues.

As a recovering alcoholic, I think this is a poor course of action. Here's why.

People who overindulge in alcohol are going to anyway, they will just find different ways to do it. I was drinking at work for periods of time because it was easy to do so and no one was checking. The work still got done.

Where we have fallen down as an organization is tolerating the misuse of alcohol and not intervening early because "oh he's a good guy... he just likes to get a little loose..."

Someone who gets to the point they're not in control of their own actions when they drink, usually have gotten there because they haven't been reigned in early on.

Like most of this Culture Change stuff, we have the regulations already, but no one is acting on them. DAOD 5019 and it's subdivisions spell this out in immaculate detail.

Instead, we take the lazy "no more _____" and call it progress.

All this will do is lead to an uptick in incidents without a thing to point a finger at. These are leadership failures, not acceptable use of alcohol failures.

Education is the key.
This, plus:

Had the chains of command over the past thirty years used the tools available to them to sort out transgressors properly, the CAF wouldn't be where it is today. They brought it on themselves.

And, in typical Canadian fashion, the CAF will punish everyone rather than deal with offenders and offences singularly "pour encourager les autres".

Should we take bets on if the messes will be closed/ CAF being dry by the Christmas/ whatever people are calling it now because Christmas offends them dinner?

Should we take bets on if the messes will be closed/ CAF being dry by the Christmas/ whatever people are calling it now because Christmas offends them dinner?
They will make all ranks messes first because segregation is discriminatory…

Then close the single remaining one.

Last edited:
Can't find the sexual misconduct thread, so I'll post it here.

Holding everyone to one drink at the Christmas Dinner, better make sure that it lasts for all the toasts.
I would expect nothing less from the first person on the evac out of Iraq.

They will make all ranks messes first because segregation is discriminatory…

Then close the single remaining one.

If that would mean that I can go to a mess on a day other than Thursday you have my vote. One day a week, for three hours, and I pay 20 dollars a month. “But no one goes” gee I wonder why no one attends the mess on a week day.

I would expect nothing less from the first person on the evac out of Iraq.

If that would mean that I can go to a mess on a day other than Thursday you have my vote. One day a week, for three hours, and I pay 20 dollars a month. “But no one goes” gee I wonder why no one attends the mess on a week day.
That has a been a fight in a lot of places over the years. I remember in Winnipeg the WOs & Sgts Mess was open from noon until 1600 M-T, and until 1800 Fridays. How much business did they expect to get when they were only open for the associates during the work day?

As for making dinners "dry", nothing builds morale like treating your people like children... It's already hard to get people to come out for events, making them "dry" pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin for things like mess dinners.

Back