• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada to Spend $5.0Bil on AEW Aircraft

I think all new production is based on the Global 6500, which gains an extra 600 nm of range over the 6000 (6000 nm to 6600 nm) , if BBD marketing is to be believed. I believe the 7500/8000 are substantially different from the 6000/6500, so integrating that big old radar and other systems might be a substantial effort. But yes, a Global 8000 is reputed to have an 8000 nm range, so a substantial improvement. I wonder if this platform is able to accommodate two crews?

I’m not sure if “sleeping on the plane while on mission” counts as crew rest.

RIP folks who can’t fall asleep on aircraft
It is also done commercially with relief crew and crew rest compartments. A KC-46A flew for more than 40 hrs straight last week. Can’t do that without sleeping at some point.

From an article on the feat:

Real-time updates were crucial in achieving those goals, as the aircraft was often beyond radio contact for long stretches of the flight, Toth said. Two teams of four crew members, divided into ‘A’ and ‘B’ teams, alternated between flying and sleeping in cycles that shortened to match critical needs, such as flying over the ocean or during nighttime, according to Capt. Jacob Heyrend, Magellan’s flight surgeon.

Last edited:
It is also done commercially with relief crew and crew rest compartments. A KC-46A flew for more than 24 hrs straight last week. Can’t do that without sleeping at some point.
Tired Energy Drink GIF by Red Bull

Back