• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada to Spend $5.0Bil on AEW Aircraft

Could you run a pair of AEW aircraft out of a far north base, for a 2 week stint and then either aircraft or crews comeback south, replaced by other crews/aircraft?

Could you run a pair of AEW aircraft out of a far north base, for a 2 week stint and then either aircraft or crews comeback south, replaced by other crews/aircraft?

Not sure of your intended question but rotating any aircraft and crew in shouldn't be a problem. Any acquisition like this will probably be sized for three simultaneous taskings: 1) Force Generation; 2) NORAD/Arctic; 3) Sustained deploy to NATO or Indo-Pacific. I would guesstimate that 5-6 aircraft should meet those requirements (with admittedly limited flexibility).

Should be noted that we wouldn't deploy an AEW continuously up north. Just like we don't deploy tankers and fighters continuously up north today. Intelligence based cueing drives pre-positioning to FOBs. No reason to expect that to change substantially in the future.

Last edited:
Downsview Airport, formerly CFB Toronto, is up for sale. Maybe that could be converted back into a full airbase. Pers would fight over postings in there.
Not with the CFHD cutoffs. The Pte/Cpls may want to go there, but good luck convincing any officers above the rank of Lt, which are all of the ABMs, Pilots, and such.

Not with the CFHD cutoffs. The Pte/Cpls may want to go there, but good luck convincing any officers above the rank of Lt, which are all of the ABMs, Pilots, and such.
100%. We can't get people to go to Ottawa, and it's a lot less expensive.

I guess I used too many acronyms in my former post.

We are going to be setting up a new MOB for the CC330 tankers in the west. Short list is Calgary or Edmonton international. Combine the infrastructure $$ and get a flight line full of grey planes. Every AEW plane is going to tank for ONSTA.

I guess I used too many acronyms in my former post.

We are going to be setting up a new MOB for the CC330 tankers in the west. Short list is Calgary or Edmonton international. Combine the infrastructure $$ and get a flight line full of grey planes. Every AEW plane is going to tank for ONSTA.
If the RCAF can make CC-144s work out of YOW, no reason why CC-330s can’t work out of YYC.

What would be interesting, is to see how YMJ would do in a COA comparison… 😈

If the RCAF can make CC-144s work out of YOW, no reason why CC-330s can’t work out of YYC.

What would be interesting, is to see how YMJ would do in a COA comparison… 😈
I think, honestly, Edmonton makes the most sense. YEG has a metric boatload of ramp space and great housing options in Leduc, Beaumont and South Edmonton.

I think, honestly, Edmonton makes the most sense. YEG has a metric boatload of ramp space and great housing options in Leduc, Beaumont and South Edmonton.

Yeah but will YEG really attract people from the rest of Canada?

I was used to finishing work and heading straight to the Cactus Club—I wasn’t meant to spend most of my evenings alone. I started wondering if the move had been a bad decision.

;)

33 and a "mid life crisis". Poor muffin.....awwww
If people take her experience as an example to do thorough homework before making a big life change, then it’s not so much a waste as a lesson learned.

The “two master bedrooms for $400K” should have been an indicator to make decisions on something other than a memory of the good times in a 3-day biz trip out West.

I keep telling you people: Mirabel has tons of room. On the North side of Montreal, so reasonable rental / housing market, and within easy reach of loads of employment for spouses / family. Bonus: easy commuting to all the activities in Montreal.

FWIW I despised Edmonton, but some of that was because I really liked Calgary, and the fact you could be climbing around Canmore inside of 45min. Again I also liked Petawawa. So YMMV.

I keep telling you people: Mirabel has tons of room. On the North side of Montreal, so reasonable rental / housing market, and within easy reach of loads of employment for spouses / family. Bonus: easy commuting to all the activities in Montreal.
Yes, but the plan seems to be to split the tanker fleet along E/W lines to support both Fighter MOBs. A Trenton/Mirabel split would not exactly accomplish that.

That is not what killed it: After the residents around YUL realized the economic benefits they were going to lose when all air traffic was redirected at Mirabel, they blocked the transfer of domestic flights through their political representatives. The two airports, where you had to commute from Mirabel to Dorval just to change plane, was a nightmare and a pain in the posterior. As a result, there was a "debate" on what to do that put a "temporary" stop on all extra development of Mirabel, including and this was major, the Terminal-to-Downtown high speed train that was to do the trip in 20 minutes.

In the end, that is what killed it. Which, BTW, is the reason I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for all the Montreal West Island residents that are bitching about the noise from Dorval these days: You had your chance and then blew it by refusing to let it happen.

The refusal to find infra to join the two airports (YUL and YMX) also played a significant role - no good highways, no rail...

Back