• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's purchase of the Leopard 2 MBT

Thank you CDN Aviator.........talk about a brain-fart on my part  :-[

3rd Herd said:
The usual disclaimer:
Wed, July 25, 2007
Army plan to upgrade used tanks hits snag
No company in Canada can do the job quickly
By CP

OTTAWA — The Conservative government’s $200-million plan to refurbish almost half of the 100 surplus Leopard 2 tanks being purchased from the Dutch has hit a snag.
There’s currently no company in Canada capable of quickly improving up to 40 Leopard 2A4 armoured vehicles in order to meet the rigours and dangers of Afghanistan.

A former tank commander said a Canadian Forces shop facility in Montreal used to have the expertise to handle upgrades on the 60-tonne monsters, but retired Col. Chris Corrigan says it slipped away, especially when the army looked at scrapping the Leopards a few years ago.

“This isn’t rocket science, but given that we haven’t done it in a while it’s like ramping up anything,” said Corrigan, who spent 35 years in tanks and is now a member of the Royal Canadian Military Institute.

Unfortunately, some of us have seen the end product of 101 Workshop's craftsmanship.

3rd Herd said:
“Once you lose a capability, it’s tough to get it back. It would be like trying to build frigates again. This is example of the argument people will give your for maintaining a defence industrial base. A nation like Canada needs to be able to service its own armoured vehicles.”

This is a very telling statement and one that military planners should never forget.

George Wallace said:
Unfortunately, some of us have seen the end product of 101 Workshop's craftsmanship.

This is a very telling statement and one that military planners should never forget.

Wouldn't that be 202 Workshop George?

George Wallace said:

You are preaching to a devote practionarie of this particular religion in my case.

;D

No Names; No Pack Drill.

Please don't take 3rd Herd's last post out of context.  My first line is in disagreement with Col Corrigan's assessment our past craftsmanship, while my second line is in agreement with his assessment on loosing capabilities.  In both cases we should have the capabilities and craftsmen to maintain our equipment.  Expensive propositions that past Governments of the land have allowed to slip away.

DEW Engineering is another possible source for experience.  They've done a lot with armour & hull mods to other armoured vehicles.

For FCS, I think it was GD Canada in Ottawa that did the newest system for the M1 & they also did a British tank (Challenger?).

George Wallace said:
;D

No Names; No Pack Drill.

Please don't take 3rd Herd's last post out of context.  My first line is in disagreement with Col Corrigan's assessment our past craftsmanship, while my second line is in agreement with his assessment on loosing capabilities.  In both cases we should have the capabilities and craftsmen to maintain our equipment.  Expensive propositions that past Governments of the land have allowed to slip away.

Geez... just like our strategic airborne capability, eh?

Hopefully (I know it's a faint hope) this will be a lesson learnt to some of Canada's leaders and they'll think twice in the future before scrapping a particular capability.

cameron said:
Hopefully (I know it's a faint hope) this will be a lesson learnt to some of Canada's leaders and they'll think twice in the future before scrapping a particular capability.

That I think is wishful thinking....

62277_400_320.jpg

Munich, August 2nd 2007
Krauss-Maffei Wegmann (KMW) has delivered the first of 20 main battle tanks LEOPARD 2 A6M CAN to the Canadian Forces. In the presence of the Canadian Ambassador to Germany, numerous high ranking officers and government representatives Stefan Krischik, Member of the KMW Board, handed over the key of the first LEOAPRD 2. Canada has leased from the German Army 20 latest state of the art main battle tank LEOAPRD 2 A6M with an integrated mine protection.

In the past weeks KMW has readapted those tanks in close cooperation with the Canadian Forces to a configuration that meets all requirements for the current missions. Among those is the installation of slat armor.

Regards,
ironduke57

Oh what a sexy beast baby!!

I'd like to shove one of then 120mm up a talibans rear end and say  ;D for the camera.

retiredgrunt45 said:
Oh what a sexy beast baby!!

Not really. With all that slat armor it look´s more like this:
- http://www.absolutcleanexperts.de/assets/images/Einkaufswagen02.jpg

Regards,
ironduke57

I'm with retired grunt on this one Iron Duke. The Leo was always an awesome looking and performing tank. It's outstanding to see the Canadians getting a world class system and putting it into combat service.

Red 6 said:
I'm with retired grunt on this one Iron Duke. The Leo was always an awesome looking and performing tank. It's outstanding to see the Canadians getting a world class system and putting it into combat service.

I think you misunderstood me. I like the Leo2-look (especially of the older A4 version with it´s Tiger1 touch). But the slat armor give´s it an ugly shopping cart look.

Regards,
ironduke57

ironduke57 said:
I think you misunderstood me. I like the Leo2-look (especially of the older A4 version with it´s Tiger1 touch). But the slat armor give´s it an ugly shopping cart look.

Regards,
ironduke57
Agreed.  Takes the "bite" out of it.  No less a dangerous cat, though.
Hopefully you can help me: Königstiger is German for "Bengal Tiger", no?

Tanks!

:tank:

Speaking as one whos veh was hit by a PG-7...lets take the whole slat armour idea and retrofit the other vehs in theatre...I like it!!!

Captain Sensible said:
Hopefully you can help me: Königstiger is German for "Bengal Tiger", no?

Well if you mean the animal yes, but IMHO "Bengal Tiger" is also the more used name for it in normal talk.

Regards,
ironduke57

Here are a couple of links,
One is for a print story and the other a video we shot while in Germany on the troops training on the Leopard 2A6M.

video    http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=2171

print and photo  http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1.asp?id=2108

Armynewsguy

Back