• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's purchase of the Leopard 2 MBT

Guys were wondering why I was wiping my brow when they named who was going to be interviewed.

Reporter couldn't even get that one thing right.

Regards

hi iz dis teh racruting senter, i wud like 2 be a tank pie let  ::)

So I still don't get it are we going to have a mixed fleet of A4 and A6, how many different fleets and modifications did they decide on?

popnfresh said:
So I still don't get it are we going to have a mixed fleet of A4 and A6, how many different fleets and modifications did they decide on?
We are buying different fleets because that is what was available on the market at the time, because the CF decided it wanted to do this quickly, and because there never was enough money in the project to upgrade the announced 20 additional Leopards to 2A6 standard and procure all the support variants.

In the end, the plan is two have two Canadian variants (which may or may not be in line with A4, A5 or A6 standards).  The operational variant will have all the upgrades.  The training variant will have all the upgrades to make it the same inside (so crews and maintainers do not have to be re-trained just prior to deployment), but this fleet will not have the expensive armour upgrades.  If we are lucky it will be fitted for not with (FFNW).

... and until the breaching capability is figured out, we will also see the old Leopard C2 remain in service (maybe even after the turret has become unsupportable).

MCG said:
... and until the breaching capability is figured out, we will also see the old Leopard C2 remain in service (maybe even after the turret has become unsupportable).

Well you could just put T-72 turrets on them. ;)

Regards,
ironduke57

ironduke57 said:
Well you could just put T-72 turrets on them. ;)

Regards,
ironduke57

Heh... East german T72 is sitting outside my office window - lawn ornament - couldn't be all that hard to remove the turret ;D  Must be some more of em hanging around our various bases

If you WANT the turret and gun systems off a T-72 more power to you ! I still would prefer that a NEW breaching vehicle be either purchased or developed on LEO2 chassis.

Cheers,

tango22a

tango22a said:
I still would prefer that a NEW breaching vehicle be either purchased or developed on LEO2 chassis.
That would be a new project as the work falls outside the scope of the tank project.  Without another project, the capability dies when our Leopard 1 stop operating. 

If there is a new project, where do the PYs come from to operate this new fleet of vehicles?  Doctrinally, we are still teaching that tanks will do their own breaching.  If the tanks are not doing it, who does it & where does the equipment belong on the battlefield?

The old girls still have a lot of go left in em! 3 c2's per Sqn would be good.I have had zero issues over 4 months with my old girl.....55km per hour aint too bad either. ;D

X-mo-1979 said:
The old girls still have a lot of go left in em! 3 c2's per Sqn would be good.I have had zero issues over 4 months with my old girl.....55km per hour aint too bad either. ;D

- Heck, I've driven an M60A1 faster than 55 kmh!

Well the official top speed for the Leo1 is 65 km/h, so 55 shouldn´t be a problem.
The official top speed of the Leo2 is 72 km/h, but in unofficial troop test´s they got it already at ~100 km/h (on a long flat Autobahn, the noise and the vibrations should be enormous in the inside).

Regards,
ironduke57

dapaterson said:
But will it fit through the drive-through at Timmies?

Why does that matter? We've had enough demonstrations that CF members can't always get any other vehicle through without collecting yellow paint.    ;D

ironduke57 said:
Well the official top speed for the Leo1 is 65 km/h, so 55 shouldn´t be a problem.
The official top speed of the Leo2 is 72 km/h, but in unofficial troop test´s they got it already at ~100 km/h (on a long flat Autobahn, the noise and the vibrations should be enormous in the inside).

Regards,
ironduke57

I've only seen a leo 1 do 60 and it was down a very large hill.With rollers most tanks will only get up to 30-35,however my beast goes like snot.Your right on the Leo2.I have seen it going well in excess of 72.

IIRC the Armoured School had a Leo1 (can't remember if it was an ARV or not) with a German Power Pack (I think) that could do in excess of 70 km/h on flat ground

All the packs are German.  You can squeeze a little extra oooomph if you put 5 gals of kerosene in the fuel tank... at least, that's what I read somewhere... 8) .  Every AVLB and AEV I ever drove could bury the needle if the circumstances were right.

Kat the one I'm talking about, you didn't need to add kerosene. Got to ask my buddy at the armoured school to tell me that story again.

The NFLD Grinch said:
IIRC the Armoured School had a Leo1 (can't remember if it was an ARV or not) with a German Power Pack (I think) that could do in excess of 70 km/h on flat ground

C/S 1B...won't name the CFR.

Top speed of 83km/h on flat ground. Mind you that was in 1995.

The pack came straight from Germany, not a 202 Paint Shop job.

Regards

Back