• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's purchase of the Leopard 2 MBT

* 40 tanks for use on operations (2 squadrons)
Please say Petawawa please say Petawawa.
Anyone heard anything concrete on this? I have been on leave for...well a long time.

X-mo-1979 said:
Anyone heard anything concrete on this? I have been on leave for...well a long time.

>:D  You do remember where three Sqns landed up.........and what has since happened to them all?

X-mo-1979 said:

Wonder how many bridges in Pet, Gagetown, Valcartier, Wainwright, Edmonton are up to a minimum of 70 tons....great to have them on a base. Too bad they'll be staying on base until the bridge classes and culverts are brought up to spec.

Now what if one gets stuck? We have no ARV 3s on the way anytime soon either.

Seeing that no base in Canada has the infrastructure nor the support to maintain them yet, I don't think anything concrete will come out any time soon.

Regards

As far as bridges go in western Canada : AB unless otherwise posted all bridges are good to 202,000#, SK and MB have to be approved by the bridge department @ 154000#, BC - the Yellowhead corridor from Jasper to Vancouver over the Coq are restricted to 161,500# and the rest of the province 140,000#

ON - I can't remember other than I have had permits for more than 180,000#. I'm not sure if it had to go to the bridge department.

KJK :cdn:

KJK said:
As far as bridges go in western Canada : AB unless otherwise posted all bridges are good to 202,000#, SK and MB have to be approved by the bridge department @ 154000#, BC - the Yellowhead corridor from Jasper to Vancouver over the Coq are restricted to 161,500# and the rest of the province 140,000#

ON - I can't remember other than I have had permits for more than 180,000#. I'm not sure if it had to go to the bridge department.

KJK :cdn:

So these are not the bridges in any of the training areas then right?        ;)

Regards

I wouldn't exactly say that. I been in the Primrose Lake Air Weapons Range At 180,000# and CFB Suffield at 160,000+.

FWIW All roads and bridges in AB are legal at 140,000# unless otherwise specified. If you are saying that the DND has different rules, fine I can't say one way or the other. I have however hauled a lot of heavy equipment onto both ranges without any issue. Range control seemed more concerned that we didn't touch anything that might explode or wander into areas where we might have a live bomb dropped on us or be hit by a live tank round than they ever were about the size or weight of the equipment.

KJK  :cdn:

Short version:  You know not of what you speak.

Longer version:  Training areas and their bridges are more than merely the main raods in the areas.  Tanks generally avoid the highways - too many speed traps (note: this is a joke) - and thus travel along other routes.  It is those bridges that require replacement, as most were built for the old Leo C2 max weight; the Leo II is heavier.

DA - If those god forsaken goatpaths that I was on in the ranges are the main roads then I understand why you would need a tracked vehicle for the rest.  :) Yes, I am familiar with the weight difference between the C2 and the Leo II. But I concede the point.

As an aside the company I worked for has in fact hauled a couple of the LSH tanks including the Sherman. We also bid on the contract for hauling the Leopards to NB when they went to get their new turrets.

KJK  :cdn:

Not sure what classes are the bridges in most training areas but wrt the ACROW Bridge, the standard CF Acrow bridge is capable of carrying MLC 60. And IIRC the CF bought the DSR2H version of the ACROW.

As long as there is a RCD squadron again I have hope for the future. ;)

Making roads in the training area for the Leo 2....give me a badger, a plow and two months. ;D
Send me some cement culverts on "dump 1" on occasion.

This, from the Ottawa Citizen:
Industry representatives will meet in Montreal at the end of the month to examine Leopard 2 A4 tanks now in storage as the Defence Department prepares to ask for bids on the repair and overhaul of 42 of the vehicles.

The tanks would be used for training Canadian Army crews in Canada. The meeting between Defence Department officials and industry representatives will take place Jan. 26, according to documents provided to Defence Watch.

Government technicians have produced reports on the state of the used tanks and will provide those to interested companies. The contract would be for various maintenance work, testing of the turret and chassis, work on critical components and integrated logistics support ....

More on bidders' meeting in attached bid document obtained by Milnet.ca.

In the link below it states under , LEOPARD 2 IN FOREIGN SERVICE it states that in the second last sentence is says that Canada will be buying 100 used Leopard 2A4's from Holland.  Can any one comment on the validity of this statement and if they have seen any progression towards this move to replace or possibly add to Canada's armour capabilities.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/Leo2_Pics/Leopard-2-1980.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/leo2.htm&usg=__63WOrV93TZhAB5CgTvaFjh0NCiI=&h=274&w=600&sz=46&hl=en&start=29&um=1&tbnid=rwf075MdSk-DuM:&tbnh=62&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dleopard%2Btank%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D21%26um%3D1about:blank

http://defense-update.com/newscast/0407/news/160407_leo2.htm

I think this sums it up nicely.  Its a 2007 update, so its not NEW News at all.

http://www.casr.ca/bg-leopard2-netherlands.htm

And this one has more.

Thanks AJP , Are you in RCD?  If so have you sceen any about in Petawawa.

I am not in Pet.  I am not at the Armour School either, but I believe they have a few there, but have not heard that they are training on them yet, I suspect there are more qualified pers to comment on that.

ajp said:
I am not in Pet.  I am not at the Armour School either, but I believe they have a few there, but have not heard that they are training on them yet, I suspect there are more qualified pers to comment on that.

When I left Gagetown in late OCT 09 there was still no 2A4's in Gagetown.... there was still some rolling stock of Leopard C2's though.....

Maybe DerPanzer can comment on if there are any LEO2 A4's at the school now.....

Back