• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's purchase of the Leopard 2 MBT

Maverick894 said:
So with these new Leos they have CFRs, and once we get our upgraded Leos from the Dutch, will these German Leos be returned to the Germans or will we keep the German Leos, and give the Germans our upgraded ones in return?

???

You didn't read the articles and posts?

George,
I think he believes that we're going to pimp up our rides before we do anything else.

The vehicles are supposed to be returned in the same condition as we received them.... nothing more, nothing less.

Geo

Just silly questions, that have been covered in detail in the previous 17 pages.  Makes one wonder sometimes.

George Wallace said:
Geo

Just silly questions, that have been covered in detail in the previous 17 pages.  Makes one wonder sometimes.

Ayup... newbvie that's too lazy to do his homework - I guess

Maverick894 said:
Essentially we break it we buy it.

yeah - but at full retail $$$ - not the sweatheart deal we got from the dutch.

Way, way out of my lane here...

Captain Sensible said:
doesn't the M1 series have it as a pintle mount?  Just curious.

Yes it does. M2 for commander and M240 for the loader.
http://www.arcent.army.mil/cflcc_today/2005/july/images/jul03_08/08_05.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1a2#Secondary_armament
I didn't realize they removed the cupola mount from the A1 to the A2. Certainly a great feature in a urban environment (which I'm guessing they have found out from experiences in Iraq). I have been reading some material lately from the Battle of Hue and Marine M48's used their cupola 50's to great effect. They could engage targets buttoned-up, independent of the main/coax and the .50 rounds have a lot more penetrating power than a 7.62. I guess this is why the US is looking at adding a RWS to the turret of the M1.
http://bemil.chosun.com/brd/files/BEMIL098/upload/2007/04/M1A2%20TUSK%20(Tank%20Urban%20Survival%20Kit).jpg

reproduced under fair dealing....etc.....

First of 20 leased German Leopard 2 tanks arrive in Kandahar
Published: Thursday, August 16, 2007 | 6:10 AM ET
Canadian Press: MARTIN OUELLET

Link

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - The first of 20 Leopard 2 tanks Canada has leased from Germany arrived in Kandahar this morning aboard an Antonov transport aircraft.

The tank operators encountered a minor technical glitch with the turrets, but military spokesman Capt. Hubert Genest says the problem can be repaired easily.

The rest of the tanks will be shipped in the coming weeks. They are replacing the aging Leopard 1 tanks, which were made three decades ago and are currently being used in battle.

Col. Christian Juneau, the deputy-commander of Canadians in southern Afghanistan, says the new tanks will increase security because of their superior firing capability and protection from landmines.

But Lt.-Col. Stephane Lafaut, the incoming commander of the Operational Mentoring and Liaison Team in Afghanistan, says the new tanks won't give Canadian soldiers much more protection from roadside bombings.

He says insurgents tend to target less robust vehicles, like Canada's LAV3, Nyala and Bison armoured vehicles. Still, he says the tanks will likely make a "difference" in the field because they project an image of strength.

"It's another weapon in our arsenal," Lafaut said. "It could give our soldiers more confidence and be a bit of a shock for enemy troops."

Over the longer term, Canada will get 100 more Leopard 2 tanks from the Netherlands. The first shipment is set for the fall of 2008.

And here are pic´s of there arrival in Kandahar:

ar2007t00302wj7.jpg

More:
- http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118324

Regards,
ironduke57

WOOT!!!!!

Holy crap, pinch me because I must be dreaming, new tanks and a new transport plane in the same friggin week!!!

Engoy your new toys guys!!!!

Colin P said:
WOOT!!!!!

Holy crap, pinch me because I must be dreaming, new tanks and a new transport plane in the same friggin week!!!

We got a new shredder at work...that counts for something right? :(

prom said:
reproduced under fair dealing....etc.....

First of 20 leased German Leopard 2 tanks arrive in Kandahar
Published: Thursday, August 16, 2007 | 6:10 AM ET
Canadian Press: MARTIN OUELLET

Link

Col. Christian Juneau, the deputy-commander of Canadians in southern Afghanistan, says the new tanks will increase security because of their superior firing capability and protection from landmines.

"Tanks are easily identified, easily engaged, much-feared targets which attract all the fire on the battlefield. When all is said and done, a tank is a small steel box crammed with inflammable or explosive substances which is easily converted into a mobile crematorium for its highly skilled crew."

- Brigadier Shelford Bidwell

3rd  Great quote. 
BGen Bidwell musta been talking about the WW2 Sherman "Tommy  Cookers" / "Ronsons" / "Zippos"
The design of new MBTs has improved substantially over the last 60 - 75 odd years.

Blow a track or an engine - you get an expensive pillbox
Blow the gun - you get an expensive mobile radio

Not a major point, but I find it disconcerting when people refer to military equipment as "toys".  To me, it harkens back to the "toys for the boys" mantra bleated by various far-left peace groups.  This is expensive, dangerous and deadly equipment.

Pet peeve, I suppose.

I am sure when those crews started training in Germany they were like kids at Christmas and rightly so. Having still the bad taste in my mouth from listening to the Liberals castrate the army, I am totally in awe that they are there and so fast, my head is almost spinning. I am also fully aware of what they are capable of and what they were designed to do. but I can't stand being serious all of the time. There has only been 3 tanks purchases since WWII and I intend to enjoy the moment!!  ;D

If you go to the website that Ironduke57 provided, you get a good part of the story.
Franco and anglo troopers dealing with german instructors.  Learning how to do it the german way & at the very end, teaching their instructors a couple of things the canadian way.

MSM is reporting no A/C installed in these new units and the first one came broke, "reported to be a minor glitch"
See:

Newer tank gives Canadians more muscle in Afghanistan, still no aircon
August 16, 2007 - 14:42
By: MARTIN OUELLET
http://www.680news.com/news/international/article.jsp?content=w081658A
http://www.570news.com/news/international/article.jsp?content=w081658A

"But for all that technical superiority, the Leopard 2 still doesn't have air conditioning - a key drawback in a land where high temperatures regularly reach well into the 40s Celsius and tank crews have suffered dehydration.

To avoid wilting in the extreme heat, the four crew members - pilot, gunner, loader and crew leader - wear cooling vests to circulate chilled water over their bodies.

"I don't know if it's the best way, but I can tell you it works," said Capt. Craig Volstad of the Lord Strathcona's Horse armoured regiment based in Edmonton.

The tank rolled off the Antonov aircraft two hours late, with mechanical problem in one of its turrets. Military spokesman Capt. Hubert Genest called it a "minor glitch that will take 15 minutes to fix."

Somebody sneak a second turret into the desgin ?

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Not a major point, but I find it disconcerting when people refer to military equipment as "toys".  To me, it harkens back to the "toys for the boys" mantra bleated by various far-left peace groups.  This is expensive, dangerous and deadly equipment.

Pet peeve, I suppose.

+1

"tools" in the arsenal might be more apropriate

(maybe it's the driver that feels he deserves better pay - Pilot sounds much better thatn driver)
(Sanitary engineer VS Garbageman, Administrative assistant VS Secretary, etc VS etc)

Back