• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Citizen in the US Marines

• Thread starter Thread starter erikkusiak
  • Start date Start date
What happened to the comaraderie between fellow Canadians?
Well, for one, the average Canadian on the street doesn‘t seem to have the same comraderie as other countries... Everyone seems to come here to be what they were before, free and clear of dictatorship (refer to case Dhillon vs RCMP over turban vs stetson)... We do not even stand up for the very uniform that stands symbolic of our stereotypical policing uniform...

I guess it doesn‘t make as good of a movie as one about Marines
My Hollywood reference was not in support of the US but rather contempt thereof... I am not sure what your reference is: Sarcasm directed at me as a result of misunderstanding my reference, or general statement... I suppose if someone were blind and ignorant to the history of most hostile engagements at international levels, they would not realize that, contrary to Hollywood‘s explanations, the US did not win every war, let alone on its own, as most stories would insinuate.
And in many cases, the US either involved itself too early/quickly/deep (Nam) or not soon enough (WWII)...

but I‘ve met some **** good people in the CF, and I‘m proud to put the uniform on.
I do not believe anyone has suggested that the quality of people was greater or lesser in either case...

A lot of it is what you make of it.
True.. would you say, then, that political reasoning aside, if you work equally hard either way you go (US or CAD) that it works out to the same end result then?

Yes, the CF does have problems, but it doesn‘t help the CF to run from them to join a military that is thought to be "better". Are you joining for yourself or the organization?
You seem to be well versed, and experienced... I would like to draw from you.. What reasons would you give that the Canadian forces are "better"...? What examples can you give of quality of life? Future opportunities? This is not a challenge but an inquiry from curiosity and desire to learn more before making a very important decision...

But you‘re free to do what you want, and that freedom is something I serve to protect, and to honor the legacy of those who have fought and died for those freedoms...
I suppose what I would like to think, as one of the small population of guys on a Canadian Forces site talking about supporting the US Forces, is not that I am flaunting support for someone else, or taking away from the pride and prestige of the uniform that you wear every day... but rather, that regardless of my decision, or the next guy‘s, we‘d still potentially share the same mud, the same interests.. Let‘s face it.. The US and Canada share a lot of the same interests, and in many ways, they are like siblings... And in that, regardless of the current leader‘s, and their decisions, the simple fact is, we‘re all one big bullseye for threats..... But thats just my humble opinion...

Side note: Anyone know of a site similar to this thats frequented by Navy personnel? Anyone on here gone that route? TIA.

Bbupd, don‘t worry, I wasn‘t attacking you or anyone else personally, I‘ve just been in the mood to rant today. :)

re: hollywood references, this was more a comment on the fact that what many people know about militaries is from watching movies, and take the culture portrayed in movies to be what it‘s really like. Yes, there are people who know that movies aren‘t exact portrayals of the truth, but there are some people....

You seem to be well versed, and experienced
You‘ve got to be careful on sites like this. Lots of people seem to be things they‘re not, and sometimes will pretend that they are ;)
I‘ve been in the reserves for just over a year, so I‘m by no means experienced. I‘ve learnt a lot in that time, but there are many people here who know *much* more.

As for a military being better, I was just emphasising that each military has it‘s own good things and bad things. The US military seems attractive to many because it has a lot of high tech gucci kit. The Canadian military, to me, is attractive because we learn to do a lot with a little.. :)

With respect to quality of life, being in the reserves can be a good job, especially for a student like me. I can‘t say anything for the reg force side, because I don‘t know it. In 2 years when I‘m done my degree, I want to go on a tour as a reservist, and decide from there if I want to go regular force, or stay a reservist..

If you‘ve got questions, feel free to ask them, and hopefully people here will be able to give you the answers you need to make your descision.

Heh, if people didn‘t have differences of opinions, forums like this would be very boring places, as conversations would never really go anywhere.

The only exposure the the Cdn forces I have had was during winter military ops in Kapuskasing about 12-14 years ago. And I was still a kid back then.

I guess the advantage to staying in Canada, is wearing a maple lead, not a bullseye.. But here‘s a question: How much oversears experience would one see in the regular canadian forces (not reservist)... It would seem to me that in the Cdn forces you see a lot of Canada, but thats about it... I am hoping I am wrong on that part...

Don‘t Canadian platoons ship out for missions overseas assigned by the UN in an alliance with other countries? I ain‘t too sure.

There are thousands of canadian troops deployed around the world right now. Not like over five thousand, but still thousands nonetheless :cool:
But compare that to the size of our army, and make that into a ratio of troops here, and troops overseas. There‘s a reason why so many people are complaining that our forces are too stretched, in that there are not enough people. Sure the US has a lot more people deployed, but look at the size of their armed forces...yeah. :)

"Lots of people seem to be things they‘re not, and sometimes will pretend that they are"

I actually work in a break plant, im 38 and live in me-hi-co.

Anyone who says there is no commeradery (sp?) among the ranks in the army hasn‘t had one of their platoon mates drag them from the mess and clear up their vomit when they in their infinate stupidity decide their ranger blanket and sleeping bag is as good a place to go as any.

Marine corps kick *** . They also have billions of dollars to pump into their training. We can‘t hold our military to theirs anymore then you can hold a cop from a town of 50 to a cop in down town toronto.

Why not just join the British Forces then? They get into the same conflicts as the US does and they‘re just as well equipped plus you‘ll be serving the Queen. Btw, how hard is it for canadians to join British military?

You must be living there for 5 years to join the RMs.

And, in my case, its not an option.. I‘m Catholic Irish. ;)

Before I knew I could rejoin the CF I went to the british web site and ordered the joining papers they were at my house with in 2 weeks.... I filled them out (I was going to go 1 para) the day I went to send them off I found out that I could rejoin the CF so thats where I went! I leave on saturday for BMQ!!! I thought about joining the british for a while because of the fact that they are operational.. there was many more reason why I was going to go to britan.. but when it came down to it im canadian!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW! I wasn‘t expecting such a response, that‘s why I am only checking on it now.

For the questions about joining; You have to at least have the paper work rolling to get into the US Forces. You need to have a processing number at least. I went in with a Permenant Resident card and it went as smooth as it could have for a foreign citizen joining up, and it was still a hassle. I am not sure exactly what to answer but if anyone has further questions feel free to email me at erik_kusiak@yahoo.com

I didn‘t just jump into this either. I had done plenty of research about the Canadian Army before I even set foot in a USMC station. I have such pride in my country and would put my life on the line for it, but the whole aspect of sitting on a base in Canada or being sent out as a UN peacekeeper just didn‘t appeal to me. I also got my recruiting packet from the Queen‘s Army over in Britian, but something about going there just didn‘t seem right. Who knows, after my service in the USMC is up I very well might come back to Canada, I actually still plan on living in Montreal when I am older. Oh, the whole Duel Citizenship swayed me as well.

For those who are with me you don‘t know how good it feels to have the support of my brothers. I really didn‘t know what kind of response I was going to recieve here, so I was a little nervous. Thanks for all the good words, and to those who aren‘t all for the USMC, it doesnt matter. Still brothers and I got your back.

:cdn: Forever...

A few years back I was going to join the British army. My reasons were mainly budgets and the fatc we have a gov‘t that doesn‘t support the CF and would sooner see it disbanded than give more money. I spoke with recuiter on the phone in the UK, and they told me that because I was 27 at the time it was out of question. They have stricter age limits there. But now I‘m glad I never got in as I have everything in order for teh CF. I‘m Canadian and although the Liberals will still run, I think I can put up the budgets and the cuts.

As for teh joining the US forces... the toys are great. But I could never look at their flag and have that feeling you need to put your life on line. Plus I‘m sure I would get sick of the Canadian jokes.

I‘m disappointed you already had your US citizenship.. I was hoping you were going to have some enlightening advice for me ;)

How quick was the paperwork processed? The biggest complain on here was the turnaround and swearing in takes too long... How quick was the USMC process? When do you go?

Best of luck.. Maybe our paths will cross...

Getting in requires a permanent residence (green card). If you dont already have one,and dont have family in the states to sponsor you,then your only chances are sponsorship through employment.Sounds easy,but unless you have a college or univ. degree it could take awhile.They also only hand out certain amounts of green cards per category,wich are unskilled,skilled ect ect. the least going to the unskilled workers.
There is also a lottery that they have for getting in.They give out 55,000 green cards each year,no more then 5000 to any given country.The deadline for this year is sometime in November,with the results coming in December.Its also cost $40 to apply,per person.

IMHO,this lottery thing is pretty stupid.Im sure they do background checks and all but fake papers can be made and bought.Its really breakes my heart that they can hand out green cards to people who from all over the world who just come over and do nothing,from countries that have verry little to no ties with the states,and make it so hard for Canadians to get in,specialy ones that want in so they can serve.

Im sure you can tell,ive tried and been shut down.Im still gonna try one last time and go in in person.Ive heard stories of people getting in,so im hoping they will take me more seriously this time.If not,off to britain i go.

Anyways...good luck

I hate to be the one to ask this, (well, OK...not really...I love playing the devil‘s advocate) but in the same way that the "American Taliban" Walker would be considered to have made his choice (by his actions) to NOT be American, what would make a Canadian USMC personnel Canadian? I‘m not drawing character comparisons, but as you say you share duel citizenship, and have elected to fight FOR THAT COUNTRY (and not for the ideals surrounding it - you said UN ops didn‘t interest you), shouldn‘t you just draw the line somewhere? "You‘re an American with Canadian citizenship" seems more accurate that "I‘m a Canadian fighting for another country that I happen to share citizenship with". Perhaps it was just the way I was brought up, but I‘ve always believed there was more to citizenship than being born into a country. Otherwise, what‘s the point?

Rian - you can also marry an American citizen. You‘re stuck for at least three years, though - if you split up, you get deported....

Maybe the good major could clarify, but lots of non-citizens join the US Military, without first getting a green card. The military is, for all intents and purposes, THEIR sponsoring employer. I had several friends in New Brunswick, join the US Military.

although I despise Chretien and his cronies I would never publicly ridicule him or his policies.
If you as an educated, i imagine respected leader, do not, who will. Some 4 tooth dirt farmer from the middle of no where? Someone who has zero credability and people will ignore. A spade is a spade.

Before someone reminds me the idea of never commenting on ones leader, i understand that.

That being said, If people like you and I don‘t say "okay stop theres something wrong with all of this" then it won‘t stop and we will be just as much a part of the problem.

I don‘t have much to say on this topic as much has already been said. nULL, great explanation - I would‘ve not said it better. Debates on the web have tackled this topic since 1996 and probably before that too. And yes, I agree ... why fight for another country, which already has 10x more supremacy than they need? If you‘re Canadian, fight (if you need to fight, in a case of an alien invasion, for example) for Canada - your land!

Sure I would love to fight for my country... but am I really going to even get that chance?

I really dont care what anyone says about it anyways. I mean I take your opinions and critisizim openly, but not to heart. No matter what you say, I will always be Canadian inside, and that wont change by which country I decide to spend a few years of my life in. If Canada could offer me the oppertunity that the US is right now, my decision would be set in a heartbeat. But sadly it can‘t.

Back