• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Recruiting Status

Folks

Please be advised: the list that Stacked postd is out of date. Not Stacked's fault,but the forces.ca site is not up to date

Just as an example: Cook, Naval Wpns tech and Vehicle tech are closed and have been for some time. The same for Med tech and associated med trades....although there are some med type positions available through the NCM Subsidized education program.

If you want to know what trades are actually open please call your local CFRC!

We have  pointed out the problems with the available trades list on the site to our COC, so I understand the frustration. Talk to a recruiter and they can tell you what is or is not still available.

Yes I know, shock and horror that we ( CFRG ) get things wrong sometimes.....  kinda like the Army recruiting poster that some bright spark redid by replacing pictures of the proposed MGS with Panthers!

Stacked:

As a military career counsellor I have access to the the up to date National Numbers. The list you posted bears little resemblance to the open trades as of this date.

As I said, the site's list is not the current vacancy list. The one you posted includes trades that have been closed for almost a month.  So please take it from me: the site is wrong.

If you want to know what trades ARE open, contact your CFRC.

And yes, we have pointed out to CFRG HQ that the site needs updating.

There  does seem to be a disconnect. Could be many things, including that a timely provision of updated vacancy lists to teh on-line wallah's did not occur.

Pusser said:
Motion sickness is another issue.  There's no good indicator of who is going to succumb or not.  Myself, I had terrible car sickness as a child.  Long car trips for me were sheer hell (until we discovered Gravol).  Sea-sickness seems to be different.  It can depend on the class of ship (some pitch and roll differently than others).  It can depend on which ocean (waves in the Pacific are different than those in the Atlantic).  And, it very much depends on the individual.  Some never get sick (although I think they're lying), others are only sick for the first little while.  Others have a constant "uggy" feeling.  Myself, if we sail on good day, I won't get sick no matter how rough it gets.  However, if we sail directly into rough weather, it will take about a day for me to get my sea-legs.  The lesson here: catch the pre-sail weather brief and decide if you want to take a bonamine tablet or not.  Another popular solution is the band-aid thing behind your ear (secretes a chemical, the name of which escapes me, to combat motion sickness).  This is also known as a West Coast Command Badge. ;D

I've been sick on pretty much every trip I made and even earned a nickname for it... Some days, Bonamine doesn't do squat for me, I have more chances with the Command Badge.

I have fond memories of transporting the R22R from Kingston, Jamaica to Leogane, Haiti in average weather. Most of them were too proud to take any medication even though we had boxes full of pills at the brow. ::) Lets just say that by 2100 every sink, gash can and heads were occupied and a good part of our plastic bag reserve was gone... The few I convinced to take the Bonamine thanked me later when they met me in the flats...  :nod:

Thanks guys you have given me a ton of information, that is not readily available anywhere else.  I appreciate all of the comments especially the detailed posts from members with actual navy experience..

I will go ahead with my Navy interview and take a look at what is being hired in the reserve unit. And I will make a final choice from there.

Thanks again!

Pusser said:
Ahh, Tony Quinn.  It's been awhile since I've heard him sing.  He always put on quite a show and he's ex-Navy to boot!

After 28 years in the Navy, I feel I can offer a little advice on the subject.  As others have said DO NOT pick something you're not sure of, especially in hopes of re-mustering to another occupation later.  Nothing in life, let alone the CF, is that simple.  I've had to deal with too many subordinates who picked an occupation that was offered right now instead of one that was right.  It will just make you bitter and twisted and you'll end up very unhappy.

Having said that, be sure that you make an informed decision.  All branches of the CF have there good and not-so-good parts.  Is life at sea difficult and uncomfortable?  Yes, it can be.  However, given the choice, I'll take my "rack" in a ship over sleeping on the ground in the field anyday, even if I do have to tie myself in when things get rough.  Proper toilets are more appealing to me than port-a-potties or defecating in a bag (although the cold water splash up your backside when it's rough can make you re-think that!).  Regular showers are also a plus.

Motion sickness is another issue.  There's no good indicator of who is going to succumb or not.  Myself, I had terrible car sickness as a child.  Long car trips for me were sheer hell (until we discovered Gravol).  Sea-sickness seems to be different.  It can depend on the class of ship (some pitch and roll differently than others).  It can depend on which ocean (waves in the Pacific are different than those in the Atlantic).  And, it very much depends on the individual.  Some never get sick (although I think they're lying), others are only sick for the first little while.  Others have a constant "uggy" feeling.  Myself, if we sail on good day, I won't get sick no matter how rough it gets.  However, if we sail directly into rough weather, it will take about a day for me to get my sea-legs.  The lesson here: catch the pre-sail weather brief and decide if you want to take a bonamine tablet or not.  Another popular solution is the band-aid thing behind your ear (secretes a chemical, the name of which escapes me, to combat motion sickness).  This is also known as a West Coast Command Badge. ;D

Are you away from home a lot?  No more so than in the Army.  They exercise in the field.  We exercise at sea.  With the exception of deployments to the other side of the world (and only one ship at a time is usually on one of those), most trips are from about a week to 59 days.  You're usually home for several weeks if not months between trips.  Plus, there are shore postings.  Overall, yes, you'll be away from time to time, but not so much that you can't have a family life or be involved in your community.  I have a wife and two kids and I coach sports and lead a scout troop.  However, marrying a strong, independant woman has certainly helped in that department :nod:  The fact that she has readily-transferrable job skills that are much in demand doesn't hurt either!

For me the choice was simple:  toilets vs digging a hole, sheets vs smelly sleeping bag, cutlery and china vs boil in a bag.  Finally, as one Army friend of mine put it, in the Navy you get to see the world and see interesting things (although ships never seem to tie up in the good parts of town).  In the Army, you get to see the world as well, but you're always stuck in the woods.

Good info to read up on, thanks for the post, puts perspective on things. Especially since I leave Nov 22 for BMQ to be a nesop :P

Would it be wise to apply say tomorrow if i am interested in a Combat arms position and would like to start next spring? given all the application examples in other threads, most people generally wait  8-12 months. I'm  finishing college next spring and would like to start within 2-4 weeks after i graduate.

If the trade you want is closed, the CFRC may not even let you start the application.

Wow, if this were a highway, we'd have a 50 car pile-up!

I have never seen SO many people out of thier lanes and so few IN their lane trying to get everyone on track!

Air Force guys advising about life in the Navy, non-recruiting types telling MCC's what we're hiring ... holy crap what a s@#*-show!

Here's my  :2c::

Stacked, the online recruiters specialize in very general information to try to deflect a large percentage of the silly questions we get at the centres - allowing us to spend more time actually hiring and processing. Unfortunately, they don't always have time to check the most up-to-date numbers for positions (especially at the speed jobs have been disappearing this year)

The poster who wrote about the Navy and stated that your family's life will be more stable is completely correct; but so is the one who said that it's not for everyone. I have ALWAYS advised people to search their own hearts and priorities ... if you NEED a job, can't afford to wait, and the CF is your best option, maybe taking a job you didn't prefer is the way to go (it seems to have worked out for Pat!) If, however, you have a passion for a certain job, can afford to wait, or can do something else while you're waiting, or have the ability to improve yourself and improve your chances while you're waiting ... then wait and do what you can to get the job when it becomes available.

mariomike said:
Mr. Wicked asked for opinions. So, I gave mine as a former NCM.
I took care to qualify it as my personal opinion only. That Mr. Wicked was not to take my opnion as advice.
In spite of that, of all the advice given to Mr. Wicked from past, present and future members, you selected me for an underlined "stay in your lane" crack.
Regards.

And I explained why your advice was unfounded and may have the result, if followed, of creating a very unhappy soldier.  Your experience as an NCM on the 1970s may not always reflect today's service conditions that will be the working environment for these young men and women inquiring about joining the Canadian Forces now.

Michael O'Leary said:
And I explained why your advice was unfounded and may have the result, if followed, of creating a very unhappy soldier.  Your experience as an NCM on the 1970s may not always reflect today's service conditions that will be the working environment for these young men and women inquiring about joining the Canadian Forces now.

I understand and agree with you, Mr. O'Leary. And, Otis too. My comments were out of line.

MWC, Moe is correct.

Unless you select a trade that is currently open, CFRC will not process your application.

aw darn, first i can't get into the reserves now this. I guess i'll keep trying

mwc said:
aw darn, first i can't get into the reserves now this.

Have you even applied yet? 

Besides, even if they started an application for you now, there is no guarantee you would start in the spring of next year.  Reserve or Reg Force.

PMedMoe said:
Have you even applied yet? 

Besides, even if they started an application for you now, there is no guarantee you would start in the spring of next year.  Reserve or Reg Force.
i went to 3 units in my general area (home/college) and there were no openings, i was told to go back in the fall.

mwc said:
i went to 3 units in my general area (home/college) and there were no openings, i was told to go back in the fall.

For the trade you want.  That doesn't mean you can't join.

mwc said:
Would it be wise to apply say tomorrow if i am interested in a Combat arms position and would like to start next spring? given all the application examples in other threads, most people generally wait  8-12 months. I'm  finishing college next spring and would like to start within 2-4 weeks after i graduate.

I applied for Infantry Soldier last fall and the CFRC took my application even though the trade was closed. They just made sure that I understood I wouldn't progress much past the CFAT and medical stage before spring 2010.

Back