• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Shipbuiding? Hehehe.

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
Yea, I know it has nothing to do with our Navy but I found it very 'boat-centric' and therefore placed it here..... ;)

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/070321/K032113AU.html

Virginia city's brand new Canadian-made fire boat sinks before maiden voyage
Published: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 | 4:51 PM ET
Canadian Press
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) - The city's $385,000, Canadian-built state-of-the-art fire boat sank Wednesday, still tied up at a dock and without ever being put to use.

The boat, moored at a marina by the James River Bridge, was discovered with its stern sitting on the river bottom and the bow sticking out of the water. Investigators said the didn't know the cause of the sinking.

The fire department had not even taken ownership of the 10-metre-long boat because it was waiting for the manufacturer, MetalCraft Marine of Canada, to finish installing electronic equipment, department spokeswoman Dana Perry said.

Perry said the department has two other boats that can be used to fight fires on the water, but they don't have the capabilities or technology of the new vessel.

© The Canadian Press, 2007

This link has a video and pictures on it.  The boat isn't as big as I expected it to be, but still interesting, and gives a nice name to Canada about shipbuilding.

Lets wait til they determine the cause of the sinking before we completely condemn what little is left of the Canadian Shipbuilding industry please!

Army.Ca Staff

It is against Terms of Use to be ignorant.. Jeez guys.

This could be any number of problems and none of them might have to do with the builder. I agree that we should wait for more info.

Name seemed familiar so I checked it out.
They are located in Kingston. The last bit of formerly significant industry here.

Back