• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

You’re better off with low expectations, so you won’t be disappointed when BOHICA sets in.

Also you get to be pleasantly surprised if common sense prevails.
I like it…BOHICA Class

HMCS Up The Stern
HMCS In The Ear
HMCS Upside The Head
HMCS Between The Lookers
Etc.

Not a particular roadblock to CSC's carrying those namesakes, I would expect them to transition from Iroquois, Huron and Athabaskan to the proper Indigenous spellings like Haudenosaunee, Wyandot and Dene (?) out of respect.
This was literally my exact proposal I submitted to one of the board members. Keep the battle honours, change the name and the ships crest to be reimagined by an artist from that community. Because some of those crests are... lets just say dated.

This was literally my exact proposal I submitted to one of the board members. Keep the battle honours, change the name and the ships crest to be reimagined by an artist from that community. Because some of those crests are... lets just say dated.
I think I saw you mentioned that earlier up thread. Still a great idea.

I'm sure you would get buy in with FN. It's the Bridal Path moms you have to worry about.

Reminds me of a story about universities. At Florida State every year some super woke student or facility gets all worked up about the name and logo of Seminoles. Then the Seminole tribe has to issue note tellimg everyone we are the Seminoles and approve, condone and encourage the school use of the name. So there...

Plus if you get a chance to drive though the Seminole "rez" it will open your eyes.....the airboat and alligators are fun too.

HMCS Convenor.

Don't think that former names like HMCS Iroquois, Huron, Athabaskan will be ever coming back as any of the 15 CSC's.

Historic but 'offensive' name will be scrubbed from Oakville school - inHalton | Local Online News
Those of you who were once crew members on HMCS Iroquois would find this of interest.
We had the same thing here. I think it started with a Board member who decided this was a hill to die on. If I recall correctly, the local FN council came out and said they didn't really care; although some individuals were upset they weren't 'consulted', which seems to be the 'mantra du jour'. The issue rolled around for about two years with lots of community push back and now it seems to have died a natural death. I get replacing mascots, etc. when they are caricatures but when you can't buy basic supplies . . .

It seems Toronto's renaming of Dundas St. has lost its lustre when some saw the price tag.

It seems Toronto's renaming of Dundas St. has lost its lustre when some saw the price tag.

Perhaps Mayor Chow should consider applying a special assessment to the current day Dundas relatives to pay for the name change? They should feel guilty enough about what their great-great-great grandfather did that there shouldn’t be any question about paying the assessment.

Perhaps Mayor Chow should consider applying a special assessment to the current day Dundas relatives to pay for the name change? They should feel guilty enough about what their great-great-great grandfather did that there shouldn’t be any question about paying the assessment.
Do we do the same thing with Joseph Brant and the fact that he owned slaves, one's that he specifically brought from NY to Ontario after the American Revolution? Do we ask his descendants to pay for the renaming of all the 'Brant' streets in Southern Ontario, for the hospital in Burlington, for the city of Brantford?

In Montreal, they did rename Amherst street to Atateken.

BTW, if you go to the first nations own names, then Iroquois gives you six names in one shot, because each of the 6 nations of the confederacy has its own tribal name.

And then the Dundas family would counter sue with a defamation of character and really fubar Toronto finances.

And then the Dundas family would counter sue with a defamation of character and really fubar Toronto finances.
Pretty sure the CHRC would dismiss the lawsuit with its delegated powers. 😉

Cruiser sounds less dangerous to the uninformed…
Summer Driving GIF

Back