• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian War Cemeteries/Monuments near Switzerland

Meridian

Inactive
Reaction score
Fiirst off, forgive me for being a terrible war history student. While many people I know can rail off specific battles and their locations, unfortunately my mind just isnt focussed in that manner....

Anyway, my work is sending me to Switzerland for several weeks in the next two months, and one trip will be over Nov 11.  I wont be available during the week, but will have some weekends.

As it is my first trip to europe, I plan on doing some sightseeing... and I also feel very motivated to visit at least one place that commerates our fallen, especially in this the year of the veteran.

Can anyone suggest anywhere that would be near to Geneva? I dont mind taking the train for a few hours.... 

Thanks. (Mods please move if necessary).

Btw, Switzlerand is next to Italy, France and Germany. I can go to any of them.

Personally, if I were you in your situation, I would head to France.  There's war cemetaries all over North Eastern France, not to mention the various war memorials to Canadian soldiers & of course, the numerous locales of many battles that helped carve our identity in both WWI & WWII.  If you have the opportunity - do visit the Netherlands as well.  Canadians are extremely well received there and our military takes great pride in our accomplishments there.  For all the recognition Canadians received for Vimy Ridge (and justifyably so) I've always been awed by what Canadians accomplished at Amiens. (Arguably a more spectacular victory than Vimy - but thats really an opinion) I would love to get the opprtunity to go there some day.

Really, it's up to you, but I believe that you'd get more by heading to France.  As for Switzerland, they were neutral in both World Wars (However, they still allowed the Nazi regime to store much war booty within their borders)  ;)

You'll find the majority of Canadian War Cemeteries are in Holland, France and Italy.  None, will likely be within a day trip (under 12 hrs return) by train from Geneva.  I imagine you will have to make a weekend of it.  Nice chance to tour.

There is a Commonwealth War Cemetery in Switzerland, if I remember right there are 28 Canadian Servicemen buried there. Some are from WWI, these were men who were involved in POW exchanges but died while in Swiss hospitals. The WWII men are all RCAF personell who were shot down by the Swiss Airforce when their aircraft strayed into Swiss Airspace. The Swiss Airforce also shot down US aircraft I dont know that they downed any German aircraft.
Unfortunately I lost all the data I had in a computer crash.

Found the name of the cemetery:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=54344&mode=1

Back