• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cap Badge Etiquette

F

FriarVic

I need some feedback from the ranks.

As a Padre, I have been given the cap badge of both the unit and the chaplain core. The question is which one to wear. One comment given was that the cap badge is earned, therefore wearing the unit badge might be seen as disrespectful to those who had to earn it. The other comment was put to me this way, "you are our padre, of our unit, you should wear our badge".

Thoughts?

Well sir, personally, i would preferr that you wear the Chaplain cap brass. This helps us rankers distinguish your position. This helps both us and yourself because it allows us to see who to go to with our problems.

Father,

I Dont know As For the rest of canada But our RC Padre Dawns the Chaplain Badge I could Ask Him This Thursday if Thats any Help

The padre of my affiliated unit wears the unit Cap Badge.

What it comes down to is who said "You are our padre, you wear our unit hat badge". If this was a sergeant-major, or even a sufficiently scary NCO, then you‘re perfectly safe wearing the unit badge.

Irregardless of which one you end up wearing Father, it speaks well of you that you chose to ask advice first.

On one hand, if the Regiment is offering you their cap badge, it‘s a sign of acceptance - you are being welcomed, and their offer is intended to help you "bond" with all other soldiers who wear the Regimental cap badge.

On the other hand, some padres feel it‘s too militaristic to wear a Regimental cap badge (hmmm ... a military padre who doesn‘t want to be perceived as too militaristic ... hmmm ...)

The bottom line is you still will wear the insignia of the chaplain corps on your "collar dogs" when in dress uniform, and on your "slip-ons" when in combat uniform (the green one that looks like a jar of relish ... just teasing, Padre)

It‘s unfortunate that the Army is so anal retentive, otherwise you could copy Montgomery and wear both cap badges(!)

The bottom line is this: Not every padre is given the option or choice presented to you of which cap badge to wear (i.e. some misanthropes tend to be exclusionary vice inclusive).

My personal opinion would be "go ahead - wear the Regimental cap badge (but, keep another beret in your pocket with the chaplain corps cap badge ... just in case the chaplain general shows up in a bad mood ... chuckle!)"

Padre, I would suggest you wear the Padre Corps badge, and broach this question with the Commanding Officer to ensure that it is with his approval that you wear the unit badge. You should also want to check with your Chaplain superior to see if the Corps has a current protocol on the matter. If you are serving only the one unit in the role of Chaplain, then wearing the unit badge may be considered permissible to both, however if you are expected or called upon to administer to personnel of other units it may confuse the issue at times. Most troops look for the badges of your corps (cap, shoulder and collar, including the gold cross pins) and will treat you with a particular deference with regard to your chosen profession that is quite separate from that of the unit officers. You will find that distinction helpful in your role. Through close contact with the members of the unit, they will certainly learn that you are ‘their‘ Padre, regardless of the badge you do wear.

Mike

And it may just be a matter of policy that you wear branch insignia. For example, medical branch personnel are expected to wear the medical insignia regardless of appointment within non-medical units. Look into it.

Back