• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF-18 fighter jet crashes in northern Quebec - Pilot safe

Pelicans that fly into Alberta are known as "The Brief Pelicans" - my initial opinion  on the
CF-18 crash that it was caused by a bird strike, and it is an opinion, but bird strikes are and
remain a major hazard for commercial and military aircrews and passengers. Go to the site,
"Bird Strike Committee USA" and the joint USA-Canadian International Bird Strike Committee
which had a meeting in Vancouver on the 15-18 August 2005. Lot of information on bird strikes
-which if one is focused on a feasibility study or business plan related to international airports
including Canada of course, assessment of bird activity and control, plus elimination options are
mandatory in the work plan. Unfortunately birds do not follow a mission profile, they appear to
press on regardless. MacLeod

As for the comments ref pelicans in Cold Lake, there is a flock that is here every year. Legend has it that they somehow got on the wrong flight path ended up here and decided to stay. Just type in pelicans in Cold Lake, and you will get the hits.

I saw them for the first time when I was out boating on the lake this summer and saw a flock of them in formation flying towards us and over our boat.

We also have quite a few bald eagles that make Cold Lake home as well.

jmacleod said:
Pelicans that fly into Alberta are known as "The Brief Pelicans" - my initial opinion   on the
CF-18 crash that it was caused by a bird strike, and it is an opinion, but bird strikes are and
remain a major hazard for commercial and military aircrews and passengers. Go to the site,
"Bird Strike Committee USA" and the joint USA-Canadian International Bird Strike Committee
which had a meeting in Vancouver on the 15-18 August 2005. Lot of information on bird strikes
-which if one is focused on a feasibility study or business plan related to international airports
including Canada of course, assessment of bird activity and control, plus elimination options are
mandatory in the work plan. Unfortunately birds do not follow a mission profile, they appear to
press on regardless. MacLeod

.....and this has to do with the BS you were spouting off earlier how ?

Julia Roberts starred in the pelican breif with Sam Shepard.....
Who was in an Black Hawk Down with Ewan Mcgregor....
who had a role in The Big Fish with Steve Buscemi
who was in Mr Deeds with Adam Sandler
Who was on SNL a show that Ben Stiller played Tom Cruise in celebrity jeapordy.
Tom Cruise is actually the star of the greatest movie ever about aviation TOP GUN also with Meg Ryanwho is in the upcoming movie , In the cut with Kevin Bacon.....

Kevin Bacon and Tom Cruise were both in peril, one from a compressor stall and the other had a stalled compressor or oxygen something or other which blew up Apollo 13.
But their gimbles were fine and the AOA and ejection sequence was followed. Goose died Tom hanks got anothe Oscar and again the greatest actor that ever lived went unoticed...

ALL HAIL BILL PAXTON!!!

Which has nothing to do with anything BUT....

"We also have quite a few bald eagles that make Cold Lake home as well."
mover1 said:
So ... are there or aren't there any penguins in Mexico ...
mover1 said:
Bill Paxton is a pretty cool guy. Maybe he wears a tux ...

Somebody buy ChrisC a Greyhound ticket out of whichever urban centre he currently resides and send him out to Saskatoon.    Large numbers of Brown Pelicans at weir downstream of Bessborough.  More at Blackstrap. More out by Nipawin way sharing the water with Cormorants.  They make it up here from Florida.

ChrisC.

Hope you did better on your other courses than you must have done on zoology.

Cheers and have a great life.

For those who question the Pelicans at Cold Lake,yes they are there and no it's not a fluke of nature.
Cold Lake is the Northern edge of there northern range in Summer for them,come winter they flock off south.
I go into the Ranges I have seen them still on the Lake in late Sept. early Oct. depending on the wheather.
Yes it blew me away when I learned that we had Pelicans in Canada.

mover1 said:
Julia Roberts starred in the pelican breif with Sam Shepard.....
Who was in an Black Hawk Down with Ewan Mcgregor....
who had a role in The Big Fish with Steve Buscemi
who was in Mr Deeds with Adam Sandler
Who was on SNL a show that Ben Stiller played Tom Cruise in celebrity jeapordy.
Tom Cruise is actually the star of the greatest movie ever about aviation TOP GUN also with Meg Ryanwho is in the upcoming movie , In the cut with Kevin Bacon.....

Kevin Bacon and Tom Cruise were both in peril, one from a compressor stall and the other had a stalled compressor or oxygen something or other which blew up Apollo 13.
But their gimbles were fine and the AOA and ejection sequence was followed. Goose died Tom hanks got anothe Oscar and again the greatest actor that ever lived went unoticed...

ALL HAIL BILL PAXTON!!!

hahaha priceless...

Julia Roberts to Kevin Bacon?  Good god, easiest one on earth.....FLATLINERS baby!!

But I had to tie in Pelicans, Top Gun, Compressor Stalls, and slew of others to make it relevant to the post.

Heh heh - you guys talk the talk. Well let me tell ya - I've flown the Top Gun mission on my F14 sim - I've got the whole kit - MS sidewinder stick (with realistic backpressure), rudder peddles, throttle plus trim and flap settings - it's practically the real thing - no expense spared.

So here's how it really happens. Listen and Learn. Programmed the sim to fly the same patrol as Maverick over the Gulf of Sidre (don't forget Goose is dead at that point in the movie - and besides I didn't have enough cash to set up a WSO station behind the LZ Boy.)

The Int boys tell us (via the sim menu outlining the top secret mission - cool graphics) that the Libyans are flying Mig 27s and Col. Gaddafi ain't gonna take this provocation lying down in the Bedouin tent - so this is no picnic, boys. I'm on edge - but I like it that way. (Sure I don't mind saying I'm little scared too - anyone who doesn't is a liar.) But hey - that's what I get paid for.

Anyways, I sit at my desk, put aside the cheesy bag, and put the pedal the metal moving the F14 on fast on a patrol line doing CAP at 20 angels just off the Libyan coast. Suddenly I hear a buzz - shyte, bandit! my radar tells me there's a Mig comin' out of the sun - probably at 25 angels. He's got the height advantage! Now I am staying very cool here - pretending I haven't seen him. Int tells us the Libyan Migs are mostly flown by Russian mercs - so they like to get up and personal with the cannon instead of using a missile - some weird russkie code of honour or something.

So I wait, and wait, and wait - seems like an eternity but it's just a few seconds in reality - and then almost on cue the bandit closes in until he's about 100 yards off my tail. Sure as shyte - Mig 27! Now I know what my F14 is capable of - and just as I see him there I says to myself - got ya where I want ya!

I yank the throttle back, drop the flaps and gear and my cocky Mig buddy shoots way ahead of me. Surprise Boris! - I says to myself - coolly painting the Mig by pressing F6 on the key board - getting the lock on him - and then firing off a quick sidewinder courtesy of my right wing. Ain't no scruples about using missiles on my side of the Berlin Wall, says I.

Kaboom! The Mig goes up in a flash - "how about a sidewinder with your borscht comrade" I says. Course I feel a bit guilty - jousting knights of the air and all that - so I circle around looking for a chute -- but nothing. "Nasdrovaya, you were a worthy opponent... you win some - you loose some" I says, and salute the twirling wreckage as it falls into sea with a final, funereal hiss. Just wasn't his day. Could easily have been me.

Anyways nuf' said - I'm not the flying padre and business is business - so it's throttle up along with the gear and flaps and back to the virtual carrier landing (press F8 for accelerated waypoints) - which I kinda screw up because the little flag officer pop up menu tells me I'm too high and I need to go around - but what do those deck-pounding wogs know about carrier flying?

So I slam her on the deck with a quick flourish, drop the ole' tail hook to catch the wire, jamming the throttle into the dashboard, so if I miss I can just go around. I shut the engine down. Time for a gimlet in the wardroom (my rumpus room actually - built the bar myself).

So don't tell me that Top Gun is not realistic - been there - done that.

Cheers, mdh  ;)

mdh said:
So I slam her on the deck with a quick flourish, drop the ole' tail hook to catch the wire, jamming the throttle into the dashboard, so if I miss I can just go around. I shut the engine down. Time for a gimlet in the wardroom (my rumpus room actually â “ built the bar myself).

So don't tell me that Top Gun is not realistic â “ been there â “ done that.

Cheers, mdh   ;)

Best. Post. Ever.

you drop the hook AFTER you hit the deck?

Gutsiest move I ever saw...........

The flight sequence in the film "Top Gun" which caused the F14 flown by Maverick (Cruise) to
go down was developed by the late Art Scholl, who also flew the flat spin sequence in his
converted deHavilland Canada Chipmunk. Art Sholl was not only one of the best aerobatic pilots
in the circuit, but a Ph.D. in aeronautical engineering specializing in propulsion systems and University
teaching. Art was killed during filming, when his Chipmunk disintegrated. The film pre 1986 was
heavily supported by the US DOD and Department of the Navy, which provided maximum support
- it was also supported by the big airframe and engine OEMs of the period; Grumman, McDonnell
Douglas, General Dynamics and Northrop (particularly Northrop, who wanted much new exposure
for their F-5's which were leading into the F-20 Tigershark). The film is considered the greatest
resource for US Navy and USMC recruitment ever. It provided much increase in Air Show attendance
in Canada and the US for several years, where the F-14 and F-5's were in great demand. The film
has earned in excess of$400million US and continues to earn. In 2004, Cruise produced a 6-part
documentry "Making of Top Gun" . If you have opinions about the film why not contact former
US naval aviators like Senator John McCain, Republican Arizona - or if you have questions, the real
"Viper" CO Fighter Weapons School, Mirimar CA, (now in Nevada) can be contacted on the
Red Star USA Site, an organization which does interesting things. I worked as an associate
consultant on the Northrop F-18 L and 18 A programs as well as the F-20 Program.I am a founding
member of the Inrternational Council of Air Shows, and the Canadian Warplane Hertiage Foundation
our companies deal in the international technology and aerospace sectors. One partner is an AME M
fifty years experience former Director Airworthiness TC, another is an aeronautical engineer who
specializes in structures (working on a Boeing /Sikorsky Project now). We have access to associates
who are usually highly skilled in specific technology disciplines We needed avionic and electronic
expertise on the EH101 Merlin project. Most of us a well over 70, and have been around "aeroplanes"
since we were about 18. Don't know much or care about computer games, we prefer real aircraft.
MacLeod

This one time on JAG. HE not only investiated a murder, but he also did his closing arguments and cleared the CAG of wrongdoing while FLYING,,,,did you hear that FLYING an F-14 Tomcat. He is so cool that JAG. One par Navy man One part Lawyer all HERO. Just like the history chanel said.

You are right. I watch JAG from time to time - like the "Flight of the Intruder" a spin off from
the success of Top Gun - but JAG depends on the talents of screen writers who know little
or nothing about Naval Aviation or the real JAG - which I suspect is dull, dull, dull. The producers
of JAG however, according to CNN are former USMC, and their high regard for the Corps and
US naval air is obvious. MacLeod

Yeah, isn't that something - British father, Iranian mother, most beautiful Marine ever.MacLeod

Another one that has wandered so far off the rails...there's gotta be an ex-CN executive somewhere rolling over in his grave.

Focus people, shiny toys and 30 second commercials

Actually its in a holding pattern till some more info on the subject comes out. 

Back