• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Issued Junk

TCBF said:
- When they converted the cal .30 U.S. (.30-06) M1919A4 Browning Machine Guns (BMG) to 7.62mm C1 GPMG in the late sixties, they didn't get it right.  That was a real pain.  Ten years later they fixed some of the problems and re-named it the C5. Once you knew the gun, it was good to go.  The key was to pull the trigger bar from the lock frame, insert it into a hole in the barrel casing and then lean on it, bending the tip to the right angle to change the timing of the gun.  Purred like a 600 RPM BMG after that, it did.

Here the US .30 in L3A3/A4 is still in the system. The conversion to L3A3/A4 from M1919A4, is the instalation of a  bar safety, which engages the cocking handle, a new trigger with noticable design change (you can spot on for just looking at it, a modification to fire from an open bolt only. The bolts also do not interchange.

The latest ammo buy was Privy-Partizan .30 M2 ball. 'NNY' from the FRY!

From my POV, the L3A3/A4 is far superior to the M1919A4, and both leave the 7.62mm conversion in the dust.

The Australians at Lithgow SAF also toyed with 7.62 conversion in the 1970's, but failed, or should I say abandoned the idea. Too bad the Canadians did not do the same thing

The Aussie guns are still in catalogue, only used on the older type of Australian M113 turrets. Most older APCs are now in for the upgrade, and fiited with new turret. The .30's days are numbered, with an appoitment with the smelter at Port Kembla a guarantee.

Cheers,

Wes

The FN C2. All the disadvantages of the Bren Gun with none of the benefits of the C9, wih an NVA mag bra to go with it.

daftandbarmy said:
The FN C2. All the disadvantages of the Bren Gun with none of the benefits of the C9, wih an NVA mag bra to go with it.

- I liked the C2 for what it was built for - not what we wanted it to be (another Bren Gun).  I take pride in the fact that, as a competitor in FNC2 shoots, I competed with a wpn that was never designed for competition!

- C2 Bra: "Case, Ammo, Mag, 1964."  Got one around here someplace.  I used it to hold cassettes on  a canoe trip.

Chapeski said:
Those combat boot covers, you know, the glossy zipper things. What a waste of cash. Oh, and the CF cripplers that we call issued sneakers. I went through 3/4 of my basic inspections before I realized I hadn't even tied the laces for inspection.

I realize this is an old thread but I wondered if anyone has a photo of the aforementioned CF Cripplers they could post or email me?  They were the beige hightop sneakers issues to CF members at CFB Cornwallis and Chilliwack in the 70s and 80s.  They had utterly no arch support.  If anyone knows the NATO Stock Number that would be useful as well or has a pair they would be willing to sell I would love to hear from you.  This historical information is required for research purposes.  Much obliged.

RedGalaxy said:
I realize this is an old thread but I wondered if anyone has a photo of the aforementioned CF Cripplers they could post or email me?  They were the beige hightop sneakers issues to CF members at CFB Cornwallis and Chilliwack in the 70s and 80s.  They had utterly no arch support.  If anyone knows the NATO Stock Number that would be useful as well or has a pair they would be willing to sell I would love to hear from you.  This historical information is required for research purposes.  Much obliged.

Building up a claim for compensation from veterans affairs for chronic lower leg pain?  :)

RedGalaxy said:
I realize this is an old thread but I wondered if anyone has a photo of the aforementioned CF Cripplers they could post or email me?  They were the beige hightop sneakers issues to CF members at CFB Cornwallis and Chilliwack in the 70s and 80s.
I got issued those on BMQ as late as 1997. Got real sneakers on BOTC in 1998, so I suspect that was the year the last ones finally dribbled out of the system.

RedGalaxy said:

Although Chapeski is was a Sup tech who just pulled-pin out west, he's far too young to have ever seen the cripplers of which you seek.  His cripplers (came in beige and green, but were not the old high-top converse looking foot-killers that we used to issue), at least, had insoles and arches. 

I'll see what I can dig up for you once I get back to work as these went out of the system in 88.  Am burning off shit-tonnes of annual.  ;D

ArmyVern said:
Although Chapeski is was a Sup tech who just pulled-pin out west, he's far too young to have ever seen the cripplers of which you seek.  His cripplers (came in beige and green, but were not the old high-top converse looking foot-killers that we used to issue), at least, had insoles and arches. 

I'll see what I can dig up for you once I get back to work as these went out of the system in 88.  Am burning off crap-tonnes of annual.  ;D

ArmyVern:  Much obliged for any assistance you can provide.  Cheers

Ah yes the VC combat boot or also know as Peter Pan get away boots. Or to some from Ont as the Ipper slipper.

ArmyVern said:

I'll see what I can dig up for you once I get back to work as these went out of the system in 88.  Am burning off crap-tonnes of annual.  ;D

ArmyVern:  have you had a chance to see if you could dig up anything?  Cheers.

Back