• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH-148 Cyclone Progress

Has Canada ever scrapped a procurement project after acquisition before? I know Australia is the example I guess with Kaman Seasprite and the NH90 but how common is it?

Sometimes you get what you pay for or...don't pay for.

I reckon it has to be a conundrum - we have this helicopter that we don't want but we have to use it because we invested so much in it.

Cadillac elicopter indeed.

Why not replace it with the EH101/Merlin HM1, since that's in service with several NATO countries and is also our SAR bird, the Cormorant, so it's already supported by our logistics system.
Replace the Griffons with AW101's as well so we have a single rotary wing aircraft to support with a significant increase in our airlift capacity as a bonus.

BlackHawks and Seahawks ?
That would give you commonality with the US and a larger user base (both of which are a bonus) but we'd still have two different fleets with the Cormorant (AW101) and Cyclone/Griffon replacement (MH/UH-60).

Going all AW101 give you a single fleet to train/support and the bonus of the AW101 vs the UH-60 is the rear ramp which allows internal transport of light vehicles.

That would give you commonality with the US and a larger user base (both of which are a bonus) but we'd still have two different fleets with the Cormorant (AW101) and Cyclone/Griffon replacement (MH/UH-60).

Going all AW101 give you a single fleet to train/support and the bonus of the AW101 vs the UH-60 is the rear ramp which allows internal transport of light vehicles.

Could we not switch everything to UH60 series of Helos with the exception of the Chinooks ?

Could we not switch everything to UH60 series of Helos with the exception of the Chinooks ?
They're not really an apples-to-apples comparison. The AW101 is a considerably larger helicopter.

For example:
AW101 has the capacity to transport a combination or total of up to 38 lightly equipped troops, on crashworthy seating, 16 stretcher causalities or vehicles, including Quad Bikes and Tactical ATVs.
by comparison:
The Black Hawk can transport 11 fully equipped combat soldiers in an assault-ready configuration, or 14 in a maximum capacity situation. Maximum troop carrying capacity is 20 lightly equipped personnel. The dedicated medevac variant of the Black Hawk can accommodate 6 litters.

They're not really an apples-to-apples comparison. The AW101 is a considerably larger helicopter.

For example:

by comparison:
But compared to the Griffon the Hawk is considerably more capable.

Honestly Canada needs more Hooks as well.

To me the play would be to replace the Commorants with Hooks when they lifecycle out. As well as get 15-20 more Hooks for the Tac Hel side.

Iā€™m biased to the Hawk as while Iā€™ve been downed in one we also made it to a FOB on one with over 400 holes in it (maybe more as the crew chiefs stopped counting and I headed off to Steak and Lobster night at the DFAC).

120 BlackHawks
40 SeaHawks
40 Hooks

Decent rotary wing side to the RCAF.

The Black Hawk and Sea Hawk are effectively two different helicopters due to the modifications for maritime use, with not as much commonality as you'd think.

Doesnā€™t matter. Backroom Laurentians wonā€™t let it happen.
While I have no doubt they are just that petty and spiteful, that would require they win the next election, which is looking almost impossible by the day.

While I have no doubt they are just that petty and spiteful, that would require they win the next election, which is looking almost impossible by the day.
And a Conservative government would probably not replace the CH148, instead looking to address housing, inflation, taxation, health care, energy self-sufficiency with some bit of modest climate in there.

And a Conservative government would probably not replace the CH148, instead looking to address housing, inflation, taxation, health care, energy self-sufficiency with some bit of modest climate in there.
Just tell them it'll own the Libs and they'll get right on it.

Just tell them it'll own the Libs and they'll get right on it.
While on that, it will really own the Libs to get national pharma, dental, vision, and mental health care too!

Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

Back