• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Choice of Reg Force Infantry regiment ( merged )

SandwichBoy said:
I have seen that post when I used the search function, with your answer quoting a comment from 2008.

At the time we were still in Afghanistan, but now with a "peacetime" army is that quote still applicable?

How would I know? I'm not a Recruiter.

But, if you ask your question in that thread - which was Active as of last December, it would be better than starting a new thread, asking the same question, which is going to get merged anyway.

SandwichBoy said:
So I am not quite sure where to ask, or even how to ask this.

Where Am I Most Likely to Go after BMQ (Infantry)?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/116311.0

SandwichBoy said:
So I am not quite sure where to ask, or even how to ask this.
I am wondering what a Pte(R) can expect as their assigned regiment(?) in the next 12 months. It may be looking a bit too far ahead, but is there some sort of desperate manpower shortage in either of the three regiments?
I ask because I everything I am doing so far is to join the R22eR, but I know that it's not really up to me.

If you join the CAF as an Infantryman, you won't be assigned to a Regiment until completion of your initial occupation training (ie; Battle School).  If at the time of enrolment you have declared "French" to be your First Official Language (FOL), then chances are high that you will undertake all your training (ie; BMQ and Btl School) in the French Language and subsequently be posted to the Vandoos (R22eR).  However, at some point during Btl School, they will ask you for your preference of Units.  Whether you get what you ask for or not, is based on the needs of the CAF.

DAA said:
If you join the CAF as an Infantryman, you won't be assigned to a Regiment until completion of your initial occupation training (ie; Battle School).  If at the time of enrolment you have declared "French" to be your First Official Language (FOL), then chances are high that you will undertake all your training (ie; BMQ and Btl School) in the French Language and subsequently be posted to the Vandoos (R22eR).  However, at some point during Btl School, they will ask you for your preference of Units.  Whether you get what you ask for or not, is based on the needs of the CAF.

That's what i got from both these forums and the people at the CFRC. As someone who is fully bilingual I have no problem working in French or English.
What I was hoping to know is the situation in the regiments now. Is there a particular regiment in dire need of people (aka will they be forcing people to one specific regiment)?

So far no one has a concrete answer...

SandwichBoy said:
That's what i got from both these forums and the people at the CFRC. As someone who is fully bilingual I have no problem working in French or English.
What I was hoping to know is the situation in the regiments now. Is there a particular regiment in dire need of people (aka will they be forcing people to one specific regiment)?
So far no one has a concrete answer...

Like I mentioned, you will be assigned a Regiment based on the "needs" of the CAF.  I don't think any one Regiment is more hard pressed than the other at this point in time and they all need people and always will.

Given the economic situation/forecasts in Western Canada at the present time, I'd think that the attrition rate of CAF personnel out that way has declined over the past few months, while Ontario and Quebec have remained relatively steady.

If or when you receive an offer of employment for Infantryman, expect to be assigned to any of the three.

Hello everyone,

First off I would like to say I have searched this forum for answers and I have indeed found some the only problem is allot of the posts pertaining to my questions are about 10 years old so I am sure some things have changed.

Anyways, what I would like to know is when do you find out which Regiment you will be joining? I just received my job offer as infantryman and am hoping to be posted in Pet ( I fully understand I will be posted as needed and nothing is for sure) Do you request which regiment you would like to join in basic or DP1? or is it already chosen for me? If i request RCR can I also ask to be posted in Pet rather than Gagetown? , there was a similar post I read from 2008 and back then allot of the answers were saying if you request a certain battalion there is a good chance they will accommodate you, has anything changed since then? are they more accommodating now to peoples requests?

Again I will be happy to go where ever they tell me but it would be allot easier for me to stay in Ontario as that is where I am from and it would put my mind to ease to get an updated response.

So if anyone has recently just went through Basic / DP1 and could shed some light on this process I would be very appreciative!

Thank you for your time

See post above yours. Reply #35 dated October 12, 2016

It is from a CAF Recruiter.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of up to date information.

HI all

I leave for BMQ in a few weeks and I am getting nervous .. mainly because it will be my first time away from home and I am really hoping to join the PPCLI because I live in Alberta , please do not attack me because I understand its not my choice where I go and I understand that and I know what I am getting myself into and that doesn't change the fact that I am nervous.  :nod:

What I don't really understand is I know I can put in my preference which reginment I would like to choice and all that but wouldn't it make sense for the army to post people closest to home if thats what they pick? because my recruiter said the army will pay to have my belongings moved so wouldn't it make sense for them to save money on moving costs and just post people close to home? If there is BMQ running every 2 weeks thats allot of people coming and going and me going into infantry I would think there would be open spots on all bases all the time.. or am I wrong? ???

realistically what are my chances as infantry being posted to my main choice? if I win top candidate will it improve my shot in staying in alberta?

I know this post is probably annoying for most of you veterans out there but i will be happy if someone can take the time and answer if you have time

thanks

Jake

It only makes sense until you realize there's more factors than money. What Regt/Bn is high readiness next? Where is there retention issues causing a lack of pers in a specific unit?

At the end of the day, you get a preference, not a choice. The CAF will post you around, but rest assured you'll find more people in your new home in the same boat as you.

One of the big adjustments you will make (or be forced to get used to) is the fact that your preference is only one part of the decision process - something that will be part of the rest of your military career.

The best explanation I have heard about where you end up was something about decisions being made by the family - there are two parents (your career manager, and for the Infantry - your Regiment) and the kid (IE, you).  Parents will listen to the kid and if it happens to line up with what they've already been inclined to do - it'll happen.  If they don't agree with the kid, nothing you say will likely change their minds.

Without going too far down the rabbit hole - Puckchaser is entirely correct, there are many reasons for posting people around and only a few of them are money related.  Might as well embrace the unknown at this point, as it is beyond your ability to change outside of indicating your preference when you get asked.

Regarding your nervousness and the infantry however - If you had any other questions about the infantry or military life in general there is lots of information on this site to read over.  If you can't find an answer to something, feel free to send me a message.

Good Luck!

Part of the experience of the military is living in other areas and discovering the good (and sometimes the bad) parts of your new temporary home. 

To paraphrase someone smart:  "Some of the best life experiences have been due to not getting what you want."

When I went through BMQ we were simply given a posting message a few weeks before grad as to where our DP1 would take place. Everyone went to Wainwright. Since my arrival (and departure) nobody I've spoken to has been given the choice prior to DP1. Being said, we were asked for posting preferences prior to DP1 grad. Those of us who wanted to go RCR submitted memos, and those who wanted to remain PPCLI numbered their preferences between 1, 2, and 3 battalion. In the end, they send you where you're needed, not where you want to go.

Yes, some people will get their number one choice, and a handful will be able to rebadge to different regiments, but it depends solely on need of the regiment. If they can accommodate your preference, they look at underlying circumstance. That is, IF your request gets sent to a career manager. In Wainwright, we had to petition the CO via memo. My first one was denied by the RSM on the way up the chain. Eventually it got through and I was rebadged to RCR.

So to make a long, rambling, and unarticulated message short: You will have a chance to make your preferences known, but don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Back