• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CHOICE OF TRADE

paddy147

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have always wanted to join the military and finally the opportunity is here. I am a licensed industrial electrician in my province with roughly 12 years experience working as an electrical and instrumentation technician. I applied to the CAF and my 3 choices are 1. electrical systems technician 2. Aerospace telecommunication and information systems technician 3. Marine Technician. From my research, I have seen people with so many negative things to say about Marine Techs, is this trade that bad? because of the bad reviews I am planning to replace Mar Tech with EDT Tech, Is this a good idea?
Also, Do you guys think that my previous experience will be recognized in some of these trades? any advice will really go a long way.

PS. my appointment is on the 20th of June and I have been asked to fill 3 forms (personal screening, security clearance and personal verification form, is there anything else to expect on this day? Interviews? etc.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ask the questions you need to. I would also watch all the videos about the jobs on the Forces website, they are actually good. No matter what job people have they always complain about something. Speak with the recruiter about any concerns you may have.

Ask the questions you need to. I would also watch all the videos about the jobs on the Forces website, they are actually good. No matter what job people have they always complain about something. Speak with the recruiter about any concerns you may have.
I appreciate your response, thank you very much.

Regarding prior education that may or may not be worth something, keep in mind most technology used is different than the private sector. You may have been trained but not trained on equipment and processes used in the military.

The one difference I have noticed is the hiring process. They don't want to put you in a trade you don't want to do.

I cannot stress enough researching the roll. There are a lot of YouTube videos watch, one good channel is Prairie Sailor you might want to reach out to him in his channel. Just ask questions the more you ask the better information you have.

Personally speaking I did not want to join the navy only because I am from Ontario and would not want to be stuck in New Brunswick or British Colombia, with the army I have a slight chance to stay in Ontario so I can see my children. Also I do not want to drown.

Regarding prior education that may or may not be worth something, keep in mind most technology used is different than the private sector. You may have been trained but not trained on equipment and processes used in the military.

The one difference I have noticed is the hiring process. They don't want to put you in a trade you don't want to do.

I cannot stress enough researching the roll. There are a lot of YouTube videos watch, one good channel is Prairie Sailor you might want to reach out to him in his channel. Just ask questions the more you ask the better information you have.

Personally speaking I did not want to join the navy only because I am from Ontario and would not want to be stuck in New Brunswick Nova Scotia or British Colombia, with the army I have a slight chance to stay in Ontario so I can see my children. Also I do not want to drown.
FTFY

Back