• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chopper shot down, crew executed....

tomahawk6 said:
http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-807386.php

Update.

well id like to say thats great news, but im curious as to how true it is. there is so much propaganda on both sides of this war you never know what is true and what isnt, i learned that really fast upon getting here. i really do hope its true, it would be nice to see some justice, if only it could bring back the dead....

Sub_Guy said:
http://142.206.72.67/04/04b/04b_002a_e.htm 

Violent crimes have decreased (since the 90's)  Although this study was completed up to 2002.  The media, granny's against teens, and everyone else are always looking to point the finger.  There is more to it than violent videogames and TV

Or wrestling, or guns, or whatever the boogey-man-of-the-week is ...

Lady From Hell said:
Slim .

First if i would Divulge the Real Back ground I would be putting myself in Jeopardy.

Bu Yes I had served in Canadian Armed Forces(Army) since i was 16 & then some Served in the European Campaign & other place did Infiltration & more .

If you like to know more you send me your personal Address & where u r located .

That Symbol with theLarge teeth was a ERROR   >> SORRY<<< :cdn:

[Moderator note:   Edited for clarity - response was inadvertently included in ]

Humm, why would you be in danger after 60 years after of the end of World War Two? And we are the victors!

Let it be known, like us all, I have great respect for our Vets and our Allied vets, so don't get me wrong here.

Excuse me, but something does not quite wash here, most Vets tend to keep the graphic details of their past to themselves or people close to them, not airing it out on the internet. Cdn Army Over Seas at 16? I find this odd, and need I say more.

This person's profile is pretty much empty, and that alone makes me suspicious.

Cheers,

Wes

I couldn't find the other recent thread dealing with this so I posted it here. Therefore it's technically another example that applies to this thread.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/23/AR2007012300400.html

BAGHDAD, Jan. 24 -- A private security company helicopter was shot down after responding to assist a U.S. Embassy convoy that came under attack in central Baghdad on Tuesday afternoon, U.S. officials said.

One contractor traveling with the convoy and four contractors aboard the helicopter were killed. The contractors, officials said on condition of anonymity, were employed by North Carolina-based Blackwater USA. Blackwater officials declined to comment.

The convoy came under small-arms fire while traveling through a Sunni neighborhood en route to an Iraqi government ministry, officials said. The helicopter, a small, lightly armed surveillance craft, was dispatched to assist. According to a summary of events drafted by a U.S. Embassy employee and made available to The Washington Post, the convoy was also targeted with rocket-propelled grenades.

The helicopter crashed after being "riddled with small-arms fire," a State Department official said. The official said it was unclear whether the men aboard died from gunfire or from the impact of the crash.

No State Department employees were hurt in the attack, but some vehicles were destroyed, according to the summary of events in the report. Other vehicles in the convoy returned safely to the Green Zone.

Two separate Sunni insurgent groups, Ansar al-Sunnah and the Islamic Army in Iraq, asserted responsibility for the attacks on Web sites used by the groups. The accounts differ in significant detail, although Ansar published photos of what it said were the U.S. Embassy badge, credit cards and dog tags of one of the men killed in the attack.

The authenticity of the statements, translated and made available by the Washington-based SITE Institute, could not be independently confirmed.

The identification posted by Ansar was that of Arthur Laguna, 52, a pilot for Blackwater. His mother, Lydia Laguna, said in an interview that she received a call early Tuesday morning from her other son, also a Blackwater pilot in Baghdad, notifying her that Arthur had been killed.

"As far as any details, we're waiting for representatives from Blackwater to come by tomorrow," said Mary Beth Laguna, 52, Arthur Laguna's wife. "All I know is he's gone."

Arthur Laguna joined Blackwater about six months ago, after a military career that spanned about three decades with the U.S. Army and the California National Guard, she said.

The Pentagon has estimated that there are 100,000 government contractors operating in Iraq. More than 700 civilian contractors have been killed since 2003.

Doug Brooks, president of the International Peace Operations Association, an industry group that includes security contractors, said the type of helicopter downed, known as a "little bird," is among the safest modes of transportation in war zones.

And a quote from another article about the same instance:

U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad, meanwhile, offered condolences for the five Americans killed in the helicopter crash in Baghdad, called them good men and said he had traveled with them. The aircraft, belonging to the Blackwater USA security company, went down as it flew over a dangerous Sunni neighborhood while a gunfight was raging.

Confusion still cloaked the circumstances of the crash.

A senior Iraqi military official said a machine gunner downed the helicopter and four of the men were shot execution-style on the ground, but a U.S. military official in Washington said there were no indications the aircraft had been shot out of the sky. Three Sunni insurgent groups separately claimed responsibility for the crash, with one posting on its Web site the ID cards of one of the Americans.

In Washington, a U.S. defense official said four of the five were shot in the back of the head, but he did not know whether they were alive when shot. The defense official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the record.

The helicopter went down after racing to help a U.S. Embassy ground convoy that came under fire in a neighborhood on the east side of the Tigris, said a U.S. diplomatic official in Washington.

The doomed helicopter swooped into electrical wires before the crash. U.S. officials said it was not clear if gunfire brought down the aircraft or caused its pilot to veer into the wires during evasive maneuvers.

Here's the source of the second quote: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070124/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

We heard that the four were shot in the back of the head, and found together in a near by alley. These contractors know the risks. I have often seen their Hughes LOCHs whizzing about around here. No military markings.

Meanwhile it was one wild day here yesterday, with Hiafa Street (again) being the forefront of extreme intense battles which waged all day yesterday, and even just after 0400 it has started again. Fast air, Apaches, and the rest of it. Not prretty. The enemy is fighting in place, and standing his ground, rather than 'shoot and scoot'. It looks like it will be another wild day. At least is sunny and warm, METREP about 17C.

Cheers,

Wes 

Wesley (Over There) said:
These contractors know the risks. .

A few years ago there were a handful of contractors working paramilitary style in Iraq who were killed. The name of the company mentioned about this bird that was shot down sounds familliar, any idea if it is the same company as the previous incident?

Stay safe Wes

Tomahawk Strike II is having alot of success. If the bad guys are standing their ground its because they have nowhere else to go. ;)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=aef3155d7c

Wes - stay safe, man.

Meanwhile, cfm of crew shootings, and a few more details, from Associated Press

"Four of the five Americans killed when a U.S. security company's helicopter crashed in Baghdad were shot execution-style in the back of the head, officials said yesterday.  A senior Iraqi military official said a machine-gunner downed the helicopter, but a U.S. military official in Washington said there were no indications that the aircraft, owned by North Carolina-based Blackwater USA, had been shot out of the sky.

Two Sunni insurgent groups separately claimed responsibility for the Tuesday crash, the second associated with the U.S. war effort in Iraq in four days.

In Washington, a U.S. defense official said four of the five killed were shot in the back of the head but that he did not know whether they were still alive when they were shot.

The helicopter was shot down after responding to assist a U.S. Embassy ground convoy that came under fire in a Sunni neighborhood in central Baghdad, said a U.S. diplomatic official in Washington. A second helicopter also was struck, but there were no casualties among its crew, the official said.

The helicopter that crashed had swooped into electrical wires before going down. U.S. officials said it was not clear whether gunfire brought the aircraft down or caused its pilot to veer into the wires during evasive maneuvers.

Witnesses in the Fadhil neighborhood told The Associated Press that they saw the helicopter go down after gunmen on the ground opened fire. Accounts varied, but all were consistent that at least one person operating the aircraft had been shot and badly hurt before the crash.

An American official in Baghdad, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said three Blackwater helicopters were involved. One had landed for an unknown reason and one of the Blackwater employees was shot at that point, he said.

That helicopter apparently was able to take off, but a second one then crashed in the same area, he added without explaining the involvement of the third helicopter. Blackwater USA provides security for State Department officials in Iraq, trains military units from around the world and works for corporate clients."

midget-boyd91 said:
A few years ago there were a handful of contractors working paramilitary style in Iraq who were killed. The name of the company mentioned about this bird that was shot down sounds familliar, any idea if it is the same company as the previous incident?

Stay safe Wes

There have been far more than a handful of contractors killed in Iraq, the numbers are in the hundreds.  You may not see it on the news but it happens all too often.

Blackwater has suffered many deaths but that is because they are a large organization that runs many missions everyday.  The deaths are proportional to how large thier operation is.

RIP to the crew, it's been a bad week for PSDs in Iraq.

Well over 700 have been killed. Thats why contractor pay is what it is.

An appalling turn of events: those despicable insurgents have the nerve to actually post a video of the chopper crash and the bodies of the unfortunate contractors.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070125/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_helicopter_video

Insurgents post video of downed copter

By MAAMOUN YOUSSEF, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 59 minutes ago

CAIRO, Egypt - An insurgent group that has claimed responsibility for the downing this week of a U.S. helicopter in Baghdad that killed five Americans posted a video Thursday on an Islamic Web site showing the wreckage and two bodies.

The 1-minute, 14-second video carried the logo of the 1920 Revolution Brigades, a known Sunni militant group. It showed wreckage of a helicopter with bricks scattered around it. The naked bodies of two men, one with gray hair and the other with dark hair, were seen near the wreckage.

"Our heroes were able to shoot the film of the helicopter wreckage after they downed it over a roof of a house of a citizen," said a statement from the group.

Iraqi and U.S. officials said earlier that four of the five Americans who died in the downing of a U.S. security company's helicopter in a dangerous Sunni neighborhood in central Baghdad on Tuesday were shot in the head execution-style _ though it was unclear if they were alive when shot.

The two bodies shown in the video had no visible gunshot wounds to the head or any other visible wounds. The dark-haired man's hair was tangled and matted but it was difficult to see from the footage if it was blood or dirt.

Another militant group, Ansar al-Sunnah Army, which also has claimed responsibility for downing the helicopter, said in a statement posted Wednesday on an Islamic Web site that its fighters "rushed toward the crash of the helicopter while under fire from a second (U.S.) helicopter and killed three U.S. soldiers."

The authenticity of the two statements could not be verified.

The helicopter, owned by Blackwater USA, swooped into electrical wires and crashed after racing to help a U.S. Embassy ground convoy that had come under fire in the Sunni neighborhood. U.S. officials said it was not clear if gunfire brought down the aircraft or caused its pilot to veer into the wires during evasive maneuvers.

A second helicopter also was hit but there were no casualties among its crew, a Washington official said.

The Ansar al-Sunnah Army posted with its statement an ID card it claimed was from a man who was on the helicopter. The card bore the name of Arthur Laguna, later identified by his mother as among those killed. Laguna was a 52-year-old pilot for Blackwater, which provides security for State Department officials in        Iraq, trains military units from around the world, and works for corporate clients.

The crash of Blackwater's small surveillance helicopter was the second in a week associated with the U.S. war effort in Iraq.

A U.S. Army Black Hawk helicopter went down Saturday northeast of Baghdad, killing all 12 service members on board, including two colonels, one lieutenant colonel and two command sergeants major. It was the largest number of key officers and sergeants killed in a single incident since the Iraq war started nearly four years ago.

Here is a letter from the brother of one of the fallen warriors.
deseretnews.com (Salt Lake City)
Thursday, January 25, 2007

This is an e-mail letter sent to KSL producer Kim Thomas from Dan Laguna, a Utah man whose brother was among five Americans killed when their private security helicopter crashed Tuesday in Baghdad.

First of all my brother is and was a HERO. All he ever wanted to do from the time I can remember as a child, was he wanted to fly. He became one of the most professional pilots you could have ever known. I recruited my brother to join us with Blackwater Aviation. We get a lot of resumes but only a few have the qualifications to join us. This is one of the most demanding jobs in Iraq. The military fly's some every day but we in Blackwater Aviation are up flying in the RED zone every day all day.
To get to you question of what happened, I got a call that we had some of our Blackwater PSD teams in contact and needed help. We are the QRF (Quick Reaction Force) for just about everyone. The military takes to long to respond because of the approval they have to get all the way up the chain of command. I am the only one that makes the decision to go or not and we always go when someone is in harms way. I sent out two helicopters to help our team in contact. After they were on station for a very short time they began to receive automatic fire. One of my door gunners was shot immediately in the head. Both helicopters flew back to the Green zone to get him to the hospital. I was monitoring the radio and knew we had at lest one wounded. I got my crew together and and my brother's crew then went back out to help our PSD team. When we arrived at their location which only took about three minutes, we started to receive heavy volumes of automatic fire from all around.. My brother was my wing man at that point and as we took evasive maneuvers I heard him they were taking rounds. By the time I got turned around to see him he was gone. As I continued to look for his helicopter we also got shot down. I was able to land the helicopter in a small court yard. I shut down the helicopter to asses the damage and to make sure my crew was ok. My crew was fine and the helicopter was shot up pretty bad but was able to fly the three to five minutes back to the Green zone. I need to get my crew out of that area because it would have been only a few minutes before the insurgents would have gotten to us. After I got back to our area I had the mechanics put on three more rotor blades and went back out to find my brother and his crew. It only took them about ten to fifteen minutes to get me air borne again. I was back up looking for my brother and was able to get the military to help with search. It took about twenty minutes to locate the helicopter. It had been shot down in a small ally which made it very difficult to locate. By the time we found the helicopter two of the bodies were drug out and into the street. The Army and our PSD team got there just in time before they could do anything with them. I landed at that location so I could make sure they were my guys. When I unzipped the second body bag that the Army had already put them in I found my brother. I was told by the ground guys that they would get them all back to the Green zone. I walked back to my running helicopter, jumped in and flew back to the Green zone. I then realized I had to make a very difficult call to my brother's wife. I did everything I could to let her know he did not suffer and how very sorry that I was. Latter that night I was asked to go to the hospital to ID my guys. Latter at the hospital the US Ambassador showed up to talk with me.
I am only telling you this story because I don't believe the media really tells the public how all of these Hero's military and civilian really believe in what we are doing over here. I know we are doing the right thing in helping the Iraqi people and wish everyone could under stand that.
May God bless the men and woman here and their families. — Dan Laguna, Blackwater Aviation Program Manager, Baghdad Iraq

I was just behind the 28 CSH in the IZ when three dark blue Hughes LOCHs (known as 'litttle birds' one with a silver stripe on it) came in hot. If this is the same incident just a few days back. One LOCH buzzed in circles around the CSH and area, as the two others landed. As one came in, I could see one contractor bloke on the skids, apparently holding on to a casualty in the back. Both LOCHs landed, as the third one buzzed around the CSH in circles, flying right over us.

We knew something was up. It was no drill. Once on the ground, I could not observe anything more because of the 4 metre high T-walls, and we had our own thing to do. Blackhawk medivac choppers  (red cross marked) are quite common on the CSH's helipad, so know one really notices much. Its all routine, sadly when choppers come in they are full of casualties.

After a few minutes, the two LOCHs on the ground took off, and all three headed off somewhere. This was between 1030 and 1130h or there abouts. For luch we went to the local DFAC, and I walked right by the helipad, only some LNs there who were repainting the red crecent on the concrete, all under supervision of course.

This all simply reinforces the extreme danger here. Its real, and in our faces, 24 hours a day.

I can't wait to be a short timer!

Just another day in Baghdad.

Gotta go,

Wes

they did there jobs but sadly they had to pay the ultimate price for it rest in piece

I have a video y'all can check out it has the MI 8 crash the crew where 3 bulgarians and 2 fujians and 6 american security contractors the man being excuted in the video is bulgarian but anyways if you all wanna see it check it out on my account on youtube screen name is AJIX

Back