• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Christie Blatchford named recipient of the 2006 Ross Munro Media Award

big bad john

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Excellent choice!

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/MediaNews/2006/09/19/pf-1862815.html

September 19, 2006

Christie Blatchford named recipient of the 2006 Ross Munro Media Award

OTTAWA (CP) - Globe and Mail columnist Christie Blatchford has been named recipient of the 2006 Ross Munro Media Award for defence reporting.

The award, consisting of a replica of the Ross Munro statue and a cheque for $2,500, is presented annually by the Conference of Defence Associations and the Canadian Defence and Foreign Affairs Institute.

Blatchford, who reported extensively out of Afghanistan for the Globe this year, was cited for bringing to the theatre of war "her keen eye and curiosity."

The judges said she writes "superb prose that conveys the experience of the Canadians' war in Afghanistan."

The judges called Blatchford's writing "compelling, exceptionally evocative and superbly descriptive."

Matthew Fisher of CanWest News Services and Mitch Potter of the Toronto Star received honourable mentions; Blatchford's award will be presented at a gala dinner in the Museum of Civilization's Grand Hall on Nov. 17.

The award is named after legendary war correspondent Ross Munro of The Canadian Press, who earned renown for his Second World War dispatches.

Congratulations to a genuine Journalist!  ;D

One of the best I have read over the years and certainly the best one reporting out of Afghanistan...a true story teller

+1

She's a great choice, not necessarily for the depth of her understanding of military operations (although she's certainly head over shoulders better than her peers on that count), but because of how brilliantly she communicates the passion and humanity of the troops doing the work over there.

She's a story-teller, and the nation needs to hear more of the Canadian soldiers' stories.

Last week she came to speak here at the College. I happened to bump into her in the hallway. I identified myself as a Patricia and thanked her for the best coverage of Canadian soldiers I have seen in 32 years of service. She seemed surprised.

Cheers

Outstanding! Chimo!!!!!!!!!! She really is great! Stephen Thorne is outstanding as well!

Back