• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Christmas Traditions and Political Correctness Gone Awild

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
So, here I am looking to get timings and direction for the troops for that annual army tradition called the Men's Christmas Dinner.

2 days prior, I received a unit wide email. The Soldiers' Season Dinner will be held.....

the Soldier's What? The who's? I say WTF?

WHO thought of this? The next day I ask and it has been deemed by an officer (s) of my unit the "new political correct" term for the traditional dinner served to the troops by the leaders of the unit on or around the Christmas season.

Have we gone stupid? Do we care more for political correctness than our traditions?

Do other religions or groups change the name of their customs to ease our concerns? I don't think I have heard alternate names for Hanuka, Ramadan, Eade, or other peoples religious ceremonies? Why are we afraid to call Christmas, well, Christmas?

When and what exactly is soldiers' season? And who to say all that are attending this season dinner are soldiers?

+1.

Could not agree with you more, what have we come to.

its a sad reflection of the times we are in...
the powers that be are so afraid to step on the feelings of ...well...immigrants that we have to change our ways.
i am by no means prejudice...welcome to our country....but dont make us feel bad about our beliefs.
not one tv commercial  says CHRISTMAS this year....its all holiday season.

sorry...just a little pent up rant

I simply don't understand why you people are getting pissed off about it.. sure it might be because they don't really have a choice, but it is just an effort to be more inclusive. Rest assured.. no one is going to steal christmas, it'll still be there for when you want to enjoy it with people who have the same traditions you have.

Ours should have been called a luncheon cause everyone knows Dinner is at 5 PM, not to mention some "soldiers" are Airmen and sailors

;)

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or the secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

In addition, please also accept my best wishes for a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2006, but not without the due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make this country great (not to imply that this country is necessarily greater than any other country or area of choice), and without regard to race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual orientation of the wishers.

This is limited to the customary and usual good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first. "Holiday" is not intended, nor shall it be considered, limited to the usual Judeo-Christian celebrations or observances, or to such activities of any of any organized or ad hoc religious community, group, individual or belief (or lack thereof).

Note: By accepting this greeting you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher at any time, for any reason or for no reason at all. This greeting is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. This greeting implies no promise by the wisher actually to implement any of the wishes for the wisher her/himself or others, or responsibility for the consequences which may arise from the implementation or non implementation of it.

This greeting is void where prohibited by law.

::)

Merry Christmas to all of you Godless Heathens!

May you one day find the level of the grand geomatrician.... ;)

dileas

tess

Who cares???

It doesn't matter what it is called, everyone with half a brain knows what it is for. People can call it whatever they want. It just doesn't matter.

As for traditions............there is more than one that needs to change.

the 48th regulator said:
May you one day find the level of the grand geomatrician.... ;)

and what is a geomatrician?

2023 said:
I care.
Why does this particular tradition need to change?
And as you say there is more then one...which would the others be?

Armymedic said:
and what is a geomatrician?
I care.
Why does this particular tradition need to change?
And as you say there is more then one...which would the others be?

The Grand Geomatrician is the term for God that Freemasons use... *giggle*

If the majority are Christians then it should be Christmas. Why should they be trampled on? I am not Christian but I think that if I'm in a room full of Christians then I expect that I will be wished a merry Christmas, grace will be said and God will be in many of the speeches. But if I am in a room full of Pagans then I will be wished happy winter Solstice and the God and Goddess will be in many of the speeches. Look around where you are and go with the flow. No need to get wrapped around the Axel about little things. Have fun, enjoy the season. Does it really matter what its called? If you hold it in your heart does it really matter if it isn't called by your religion's name?

A lot of the bickering brings to mind a much used saying

"Bah Humbug"

Merry Christmas [ all            ;)

2023 said:
Who cares???

It doesn't matter what it is called, everyone with half a brain knows what it is for. People can call it whatever they want. It just doesn't matter.

You should know, Messes for one! Used to be that NCM's hung out with NCM's, NCO's hung out with NCO's and Offr's hung out with Offr's. Surely, in your trade, you know that isn't the case anymore...............the old school NCO"s in your trade, specifically in Petawawa are disliked because they make people work, assess them appropriately and don't hang out with the subordinates.

Familiarity breeds contempt I say!!!!!!!

Take care Ash.

Just call it the "Whoop-up" or the "gong-show" and you should be fine....

extanker said:
its a sad reflection of the times we are in...
the powers that be are so afraid to step on the feelings of ...well...immigrants that we have to change our ways.
i am by no means prejudice...welcome to our country....but dont make us feel bad about our beliefs.
not one tv commercial   says CHRISTMAS this year....its all holiday season.

sorry...just a little pent up rant

Those are your beliefs not mine and I am not an immigrant either. However, I don'ttake offense to it though but this is a secular nation and there is no official state religion either. Just an opinion though.

I often wonder if it were the other way around and say, the majority were Muslim(as an example) and the rest were forced to put up with Ramadan every year what the opinions of the people on this board would be like. Cheers and Merry Crumble.

Gong-Show, indeed... I'll be attending mine tommorow night

Back