• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Class B reserve service less then 180 days and annual leave

bLUE fOX

Reaction score
Good day all.

The situation is this: Presently I am attached posted to an air cadet summer training centre. the "offer of employment" is for 55 days. It is my understanding that class b reservists are entitled to 1 day of leave for every 15 worked. Meaning I would get 3 days of annual leave in this time frame. Presently I have been told that the cut off point for applying for annual leave is week six of CSTC operations (two weeks prior to cessation of operation) and that after that all annual leave will be forfeited.

Recently, I also completed a course on DNDLearn called Managing Military Personnel. That course has a section on leave which stated "Annual leave is an entitlement. The phrase "use it or loose it" is a myth and has no basis in the current CF leave policy." I have also consulted DGCB- CF Leave Policy Manual, and although it doesn't use that exact wording, it doesn't state that unused leave must be forfeited.

I have tried asking senior officers at the CSTC about this, and have been told that those rules are not applicable to CIC officers. I will concede that not everything on the inter webs is true, and that my copy of the leave manual is dated for 2009, but I find it hard to believe that DNDLearn would publish wrong information, and as mentioned, that is the most recent copy of the leave manual I could find.

So, i guess my questions are, is this intact true? Can annual leave be forfeited like that? if not, what course of action can be taken rectify it? If so, where can i find updated reference material?

Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

As a Class A reservist you have zero entitlement to Annual leave, thus all leave earned on Class B must be consumed during the Class B tasking.

You may  write a memo through your CoC indicating that you did not have time during the contract period to take leave due to your duties and that you request that your route letter be extended to cover off those leave days.... bear in mind that this may or may not work as annual leave can not be taken on weekends and that means that your route letter may have to be extended by 5 days.....and the funding agency may not like to do this....

I know here at CTC they will not extend route letters unless for exceptional circumstances for staff.....

As stated above, Annual Leave is an entitlement and cannot be forfeit.  In general terms, it is a joint responsibility of you and your unit to ensure that you use all your annual leave.  However, if there is insufficient opportunity for you to take leave in your tasking (i.e. you're too busy and not of your own making) then there are three options available:

- Cash out remaining leave as per CBI 205.75
- Extend the period of Class B service by the days necessary to take the unused annual leave and any additional annual leave earned by you as a consequence of the extension (e.g. your contract ends on a Friday, you are extended three working days which, including the weekend now puts you to 60 days and you are now entitled to one more day of leave); or
- If you are immediately proceeding to a period of Class B service at a different unit, with no break in service, and the gaining CO concurs, carry over the unused annual leave to the gaining unit.

That's what i thought. But as mentioned, there are a number of people here more senior then I am that have told me that none of that is actually applicable. I believe that with two weeks left in the CSTC operating year, there's sufficient time to use leave, and that given I fill a non vital support position, taking leave would not adversely affect on CSTC  operations. So if it's still being denied because of the "that's how it is" mentality, what are the options open to redress this? thank you for your previous answers.

1- Ask them to show you the regulation that says it does not apply.

This is how most CSTCs are run. If you make waves about it, they won't hire you back next summer. 

Insist on taking your annual leave, tell them that the pertinent DAODs apply and what they are doing is wrong.

Zoomie said:
Insist on taking your annual leave, tell them that the pertinent DAODs apply and what they are doing is wrong.

CF Leave Policy Manual:

Para 3.1.01:  Annual leave is an entitlement

Para 3.1.03:  Annual leave is reckoned in working days and may be granted in single days.

As I stated above, you CANNOT be forced to forfeit annual leave.  If your chain of command insists upon it, use one of the options noted earlier.  They are found at the CF Leave Policy Manual and I'm posting it again for clarity:

"3.3.06 Extension and carry over options
(Amended 16 June 2009)

Annual leave is an entitlement. The annual leave earned during a period of service shall normally be taken prior to the scheduled end of the period of service. When a period of service is about to end and unused annual leave remains, the following options are available:

- Cash out remaining leave as per CBI 205.75
- Extend the period of service by the days necessary to take the unused annual leave and any additional annual leave credited to the member as a consequence of the extension; or
- If the member is immediately proceeding to a period of service at a different unit, with no break in service, and the gaining CO concurs, carry over the unused annual leave to the gaining unit.

Reference: A-PM-245-001/FP-001 Chapter 16 (21) Annex B."

Back