• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Clint Eastwood's "Gran Torino"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Just watched it on DVD last night - an outstanding film about a politically-incorrect warrior helping those who need help.  I won't say more lest I spoil it.

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205489/

YouTube feature with clips/interview bits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVYWxEF49PQ&feature=fvw

Great movie. An emotional rollercoaster. I laughed, I cried, even got angry at one point. Greaty movie.

Definately a must see movie.

That movie took me for a ride as well.  Highly recommended!

Teeps74 said:
Great movie. An emotional rollercoaster. I laughed, I cried, even got angry at one point. Greaty movie.

Definately a must see movie.

Agreed. It's an excellent movie.

I got it out on DVD here recently, and watched it. I thought it was very well done. Hard to believe ole Clint is pushing 80!

Cheers,

OWDU

Saw it back in FEB at FT. PICKETT and we nailed it by saying:

"Gunny Highway goes civy"

Great movie...... might have to run out and get it......

Saw on Air Canada back in May.  A little slow at the start, but turns into yet another Clint Eastwood classic.

Overwatch Downunder said:
Hard to believe ole Clint is pushing 80!

Cheers,

OWDU

Meh. Didn't find it hard at all to believe the guy on screen was old enough to've been in Korea. A pretty spunky 80 year old, though.

George Wallace said:
Saw on Air Canada back in May.  A little slow at the start, but turns into yet another Clint Eastwood classic.

Here's to hoping it's still on the Air Canada flight I'm on in 3 weeks. It's one of those movies I could watch a million times and still enjoy it. Rates a 10/10 on my Spaceballs factor. This is the factor I base movies on, how many times in one day I can watch a movie and NOT throw the DVD out the window. This sucker could be on repeat for a long while.

Only thing I found lacking was the Padre actually. I can tell he is new to acting, but I can actually see his talent increase in parts of the movie. I peg this on Clint's ability to cast young and rising actors though, I give the kid props as it's not easy going up with a legend.

Chapeski said:
Only thing I found lacking was the Padre actually. I can tell he is new to acting, but I can actually see his talent increase in parts of the movie. I peg this on Clint's ability to cast young and rising actors though, I give the kid props as it's not easy going up with a legend.

He was okay.  I looked on the IMDB link and saw that he's been in some TV shows.  However, an interesting note is that only one of the Hmong actors had ever been in a film before.

PMedMoe said:
He was okay.  I looked on the IMDB link and saw that he's been in some TV shows.  However, an interesting note is that only one of the Hmong actors had ever been in a film before.

To quote Robert Deniro's character in the Recruit, "A scary judge of talent."

Just finished watching it on Pay Per View. It wasn't "The Sound of Music".  Clint made my wife  :'(
We were hoping Clint was drawing flamethrower instead of a Zippo.

I thought it was "ok". I thought everyone's acting was horrible...with the exception on Clint that is. Good story though. I feel Clint Eastwood made the movie the decent movie that it was though.

I heard the working title of the movie was "An Hour and a Half of Ethnic Slurs," though I could be wrong. In my mind, it was a solid and relevant premise, moderately well written, and generally poorly acted - Eastwood being the exception, though I'd say he's done better work. And in the closing credits, I honestly thought it was Grover, and not Eastwood singing. On the whole I'd say it was a 7 of 10. He's done better work, though I absolutely have to give him credit for doing as much work on a movie as he did in Gran Torino at his age. That's the real story in my mind.

It is a great movie, I seen it in theaters, and we watched it the other night for "movie Night".

I loved the movie. I'm not sure if the racial slurs were meant as a joke or not, but some of them were quite funny. I recommend this movie  :nod:

:salute: to Clint Eastwood

I don't think they were meant to be funny, but to portray him as a bigoted WASP.  NO PC there.

Back