• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comd RCAF says that “RCAF is not ready for conflict"

DND /CAF 2022-2023 Departmental Results Report
The 2022-23 Departmental Results Report is indicating that the CAF as a collective is not ready and has been failing to hit readiness targets for three years or more.

RCAF is merely the worst at achieving only 43% of its readiness targets compared to its goal of 85%.
Wooooaaaahhhhh... 😬

Any air force guys care to provide some context or detail, to that last sentence?

(I imagine some fleets are have higher availability rates than others...)

That means you'll actually have to work for a living... I assumed "commercial" meant Airlines or other aviation shops, not unrelated trades.

I doubt people who complain about work-life balance and isolated postings are going to work for gold mines in isolated areas. $40/hour isn't going to cut it in Toronto working for Air Canada.
Your in-depth knowledge of work on civie street is truly a thing of beauty, based no doubt on your extensive personal experience.

Your in-depth knowledge of work on civie street is truly a thing of beauty, based no doubt on your extensive personal experience.

Thanks for your contribution to this discussion. It really clarified things. (y) I would be happy to hear about your experiences working in the aviation sectors.

I doubt people who complain about work-life balance and isolated postings are going to work for gold mines in isolated areas. $40/hour isn't going to cut it in Toronto working for Air Canada.
They actually do. Ontario has a ton of people flying in and out to work the mines in Manitoba and NWT- working a schedule that maximizes their time off at home and making a lot better money then most of here.

There’s a trend happening for even RCMP postings where they fly in and out for periods of time and their families stay in hubs. It’s not best policing model for a few reasons but it does make for more volunteers willing to do slightly longer postings.

They actually do. Ontario has a ton of people flying in and out to work the mines in Manitoba and NWT- working a schedule that maximizes their time off at home and making a lot better money then most of here.

How many of these people are ex-RCAF? FIFO is not for everyone but at least it gives people the option, unlike a 10+ year posting to an isolated Cold Lake.

How many of these people are ex-RCAF? FIFO is not for everyone but at least it gives people the option, unlike a 10+ year posting to an isolated Cold Lake.
Couple ex navy stoker friends- but you’re right. I don’t know how many are previously CF technicians etc

So if the Commander of the RCAF is stating he's concerned with our ability to engage in armed conflict, is there anything that can be done to rectify that in the short term?

Yes the F-35's will roll onto flight lines in the next few years, gradually replacing the Hornets. But the world is starting to become a lot more 'sparky' and there's a decent enough chance things will kick off somewhere, and it would be nice to be able to contribute if called upon.

Any RCAF folks have any suggestions or ideas as to make the RCAF more capable/confident in its warfighting capabilities?

So if the Commander of the RCAF is stating he's concerned with our ability to engage in armed conflict, is there anything that can be done to rectify that in the short term?

Yes the F-35's will roll onto flight lines in the next few years, gradually replacing the Hornets. But the world is starting to become a lot more 'sparky' and there's a decent enough chance things will kick off somewhere, and it would be nice to be able to contribute if called upon.

Any RCAF folks have any suggestions or ideas as to make the RCAF more capable/confident in its warfighting capabilities?

Apparently the DS solution is "Go hunting."

Thanks for your contribution to this discussion. It really clarified things. (y) I would be happy to hear about your experiences working in the aviation sectors.
So you have experience working in the civilian aviation sector? Like had a job? On Civvie Street? In the sector?

There’s a trend happening for even RCMP postings where they fly in and out for periods of time and their families stay in hubs. It’s not best policing model for a few reasons but it does make for more volunteers willing to do slightly longer postings.
Even within the province. A number of years ago Ontario stopped allowing towns, roads, etc. to be built around mines because they ended up being stuck servicing them after the mine long ago moved on.

Do Canadians want their air force to be effective in performing the primary roles of an air force? (Re, Operating in a conflict)

Ummmmmmmm, yeah...
Do Canadians actually know what the primary roles of the airforce are?

Back