• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfer ( CT ) - Reserve to Regular

2 Cdo said:
It's all in good fun. I have friends in all 3 regiments and we routinely give each other a hard time.

True, two of the best friends i made in the air force, after remustering are patricias and this is what we do to each other...razzzzzz

2 Cdo said:
It's all in good fun. I have friends in all 3 regiments and we routinely give each other a hard time.
The only bad news I have for you, 2 Cdo, is that the front of L104 (I think that's the number, the old 2 Cdo shacks) has, on it's front, displayed rather proudly, I may add, is the following:

3 RCR
;D

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
The only bad news I have for you, 2 Cdo, is that the front of L104 (I think that's the number, the old 2 Cdo shacks) has, on it's front, displayed rather proudly, I may add, is the following:

3 RCR
;D

Ouch.  How poorly written.

Shouldn't it read

3rd Bn, The RCR

Mortarman Rockpainter said:

3 RCR
;D

MR, it makes my heart ache every time I'm in Pet to see our old shacks desecrated with RCR markings.  ;) But when's the last time they had a real good canoe party? (Ex 2 Cdo guys will understand exactly what I'm referring to. :eek:)

My personal opinion, if you need 13 weeks of class B time to bypass recruit school, why not take some TD or such instead of the 13 weeks of basic?

One maple guardian tasking with OpFor in Wainwright would give you 13 weeks...

All sorts of driver/storeman taskings out there everywhere... meaford, gagetown, aldershot, etc.

It's all up to you, do you WANT to get a bypass on recruit school? It's not hard at all to find a call out...

If you don't have your corprals yet, but you don't have that long to go, it's just as well to stick around in the reserves till your promotion... while you won't keep the rank, as I understand it at least, you'll keep the payrate....

You need 13 weeks in P Res to CT to the Reg Force and by pass BMQ, SQ and DP1? Does that mean you need 3 plus months as a fully trained Pte to qualify? Or do you need to be a Cpl first to be able to CT without redoing recruit training?

Thanks for the help, I'm just a little confused. 

When you do a CT class B days are counted 1 for 1 and class A days are counted at 1/4 days... Unfortunately even if you are reserve Cpl and your days are less than the 4 years needed for Cpl than you only get the pay grade based on the level you qualify for,  If your granted time is less than 30 months you will be a no hook again.  Sucks but what can you do.  If you are going combat arms than it may not be a bad thing to redo basic/sq, you may find that the reserve courses don't quite prepare you for battle school and such.

Just a Sig Op said:
If you don't have your corprals yet, but you don't have that long to go, it's just as well to stick around in the reserves till your promotion... while you won't keep the rank, as I understand it at least, you'll keep the payrate....

Do you happen to have a reference to a policy on this, or is this a guess?

When you get your offer, it will include ALL your info, you EPZ date, rank/IPC, VIE length, TCP, posting, course requirements, report date, move instructions.  It won't include your PFTPS (Previous Full Time Paid Service), that is calculated when you elect to buy back your PRes time.

Eye In The Sky said:
Do you happen to have a reference to a policy on this, or is this a guess?

When you get your offer, it will include ALL your info, you EPZ date, rank/IPC, VIE length, TCP, posting, course requirements, report date, move instructions.  It won't include your PFTPS (Previous Full Time Paid Service), that is calculated when you elect to buy back your PRes time.

Yes, you should get to keep your payrate until your reg pay catches up.

Stoker said:
Yes, you should get to keep your payrate until your reg pay catches up.

Again, is there a reference to this?  It doesn't matter to me personally but...others will read this thread, the reference might be handy to them.

This post also has some information you could look at.

http://forums.air-force.ca/forums/threads/79841.0.html

A thought....

I've talked a few new reservists in the past who were waiting until they were QL5 qualified so they could get the $20 000 signing bonus, and I pointed out to said individuals that the $20 000 bonus they'd recieve wouldn't make up for the money they WOULDN'T make by staying at home as class A junkies...

That being said, if it's only a matter of a few weeks class B in order to get a recruit school by-pass, or better yet, if it's only a year or so till your promotion to corpral, a thought...

Any class B contract under 180 days where you're away from home will be a TD contract, so your R&Q is paid for, and you recieve TD... so all money you make goes into your pocket... go reg force immediately, you'll either be paying R&Q or paying rent and buying your own food anyway, plus, you can get your corpral pay rate within a year, rather than waiting three or four years... just a thought... definitly financially beneficial in the long run...

The only caution I'll give you is this (And this is speaking from personal experience). Don't allow Class B to become a career, it's only a short term job, and have your plan and stick to it.

The other bit of advice is this, get yourself some health insurance, shouldn't cost a lot, but if you need it, it pays for itself.

I'm still confused with the process, would it be best to get on a class B contract within the reserves before doing a CT, to make sure you have enough time in to by pass recruit school? I'm still only in basic with the reserves but it kind of sounds like its not worth doing if I'm going to have to do it again when I transfer to the regs. I was also under the impression that after 2yrs you get promoted to Cpl.

Can anyone help me out, I'd appreciate it

ONT said:
I'm still confused with the process, would it be best to get on a class B contract within the reserves before doing a CT, to make sure you have enough time in to by pass recruit school? I'm still only in basic with the reserves but it kind of sounds like its not worth doing if I'm going to have to do it again when I transfer to the regs. I was also under the impression that after 2yrs you get promoted to Cpl.

Can anyone help me out, I'd appreciate it

If you are on BMQ right now, finish it.  How do you think your CT application will look if you tell the recruiter "Oh, I quit my BMQ because...". 

Can anyone provide a reference to the policy that states *x amount of days Class B+PRes BMQ is required for a RSB when doing a CT*?  Lots of people are talking about it yet I've yet to see it in black and white.

Cpl in 2 years is the normal progression (with the required course{s}) in the Reserves.  In the Reg Force it is normally 4 years to make Cpl.

Eye In The Sky said:
If you are on BMQ right now, finish it.  How do you think your CT application will look if you tell the recruiter "Oh, I quit my BMQ because...". 

Can anyone provide a reference to the policy that states *x amount of days Class B+PRes BMQ is required for a RSB when doing a CT*?  Lots of people are talking about it yet I've yet to see it in black and white.

Cpl in 2 years is the normal progression (with the required course{s}) in the Reserves.  In the Reg Force it is normally 4 years to make Cpl.

Yeah you're right. Hopefully someone has the black and white copy of the policy.

Thanks for the quick reply

ONT said:
would it be best to get on a class B contract within the reserves before doing a CT, to make sure you have enough time in to by pass recruit school?

I have to add my 2 cents to this kind of thought.  Lets think about this for a second.  First, in the Reserves, you'd have to complete your BMQ, SQ and DP1 courses (depending, this could be the better part of a year and in some cases longer), then find a Class B position you qualified for as a Pte/Tpr/Gnr/Spr/OS, whichever your case is, and spend *x* amount of days in it (if this is even an official policy).  I used to be part of the Hiring/Selection Board for Class B positions at the CBG HQ I worked at for Jnr NCO and Pte positions, and I don't remember sitting on a single board that only had 1 applicant, so you are competing with people usually for Cl B positions (not always the case but is sometimes), so there is no guaruntee you will even get a Class B (you have to meet all the fitness requirements, etc etc as well).  If you aren't screened out by meeting the requirements on the Employment Opportunity msg, then you get to compete with everyone else who has an interest in the position.  Again, some of the Class B aren't that difficult but, having been a Class B Commando for a longgggggggg time before I CTd, I can tell you, some of them are.

Why would you go thru all that to avoid 10 weeks/2.5-3 months of BMQ?  Sure, do 2 years in the Res, buy back your time, I know all about that.  Sure, there are some hassles on BMQ, but are they REALLY worth putting off a Reg Force career, if that is what you really want, for the sake of 10 weeks?  Those 2 years in the Reg Force, you'd be half way to Cpl, trained to a QL3 level (or close, depending on your MOC) and have 2 years pensionable time under your belt.

IMO, if you really want to be Reg Force but your decisions are based around the RSB, how bad to you really want in? 

Back