• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Conservation Officer after military

Coty4th

Inactive
Reaction score
I know I'm not even In the CF yet, But my question is, are the skills/Training from the military transferable to work as a Conservation officer?

from what I can gather is it wouldn't hurt. just looking for a second opinion.

Who is eligible
You could be eligible to be a conservation officer if you have:

some knowledge and experience in the field of natural resources management and related legislation

excellent communication and interpersonal skills

analytical, investigative and intelligence gathering skills

proficiency in computer use

knowledge of hunting and fishing, handling of firearms

the ability to work independently and meet the physical demands of the job

a valid driver’s licence

a willingness to work in remote locations, travel for extended periods of time, work shifts, weekends and holidays and work in all types of weather

the ability to complete use of force training and firearms certification

I could match a good chunk of those to skills used in the army.. It could also depend on your trade choice. (I imagine Military Police would give you a bonus, where as say Vehicle Tech may not be as relevant)

A military career can provide most of those skills as long as you are one of those people that can gain and retain them.

The only two attributes listed there that you may need to get additional non-CAF education/training for is

some knowledge and experience in the field of natural resources management and related legislation

And

At least for the trades you have selected anyway.

Thanks for the replays. Didn't think about military police, just slipped my mind. thank you for that. 

Coty4th said:
I know I'm not even In the CF yet, But my question is, are the skills/Training from the military transferable to work as a Conservation officer?

from what I can gather is it wouldn't hurt. just looking for a second opinion.

Who is eligible
You could be eligible to be a conservation officer if you have:

excellent communication and interpersonal skills

proficiency in computer use

knowledge of hunting and fishing, handling of firearms

the ability to work independently and meet the physical demands of the job

a valid driver’s licence

a willingness to work in remote locations, travel for extended periods of time, work shifts, weekends and holidays and work in all types of weather

the ability to complete use of force training and firearms certification

I used to work for the Ministry on Natural Resources (MNR) in Ontario. I oftenly worked with several CO's in northern ontario and discussed with them options to use as a stepping stone to a CO's position. Most gave me suggestions like Provincial Park Warden, jobs in Provincial Parks, Fisheries Officer, Campground Security. However I did have one who told me he joined the army reserves while he was taking Fish and Wildlife in college. He was hired as a CO as soon as he was finished school without any other relivent job experiance.

He mentioned that it is all about how YOU relate your experiance with the army to the experiance in the job posting. So my reccomendation would be to compare the requirments of the CO position you are going for, and the army trades you are interested in. I believe he told me he was infantry and trained as some sort of Combat diver ( I don't really know the army side).

Any questions im happy to help,
Naval Reservist

Back