• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Continued Education during normal work hours

orca73

Inactive
Reaction score
If a member of the Regular Forces decides to proceed with approved Continued Education via online services, could the individual do the education at their desk during the work day, knowing they can only do so after their normal duties/job work has been completed.

That is up to that individuals CoC......too many factors to say yay or nay.

Ive had both a yes and a no depending on whats going on at work.

orca73 said:
If a member of the Regular Forces decides to proceed with approved Continued Education via online services, could the individual do the education at their desk during the work day, knowing they can only do so after their normal duties/job work has been completed.

If there's one thing I've learned in 37 years of service, it's that the work is never completed.

orca73 said:

I finished my last OPME during working hours while my ship was in a shore office. I received accolades for initative, professional development, and effective use of my time.

Doing actual school work instead of doing "busy work" always looks better.

Depending on rank/job obviously though.

If you're a Cpl/Pte all the Cpl/Ptes are out cleaning LAVs, you should be out there with them.

If they are all painting rocks, then maybe not.

ixium said:
If you're a Cpl/Pte all the Cpl/Ptes are out cleaning LAVs, you should be out there with them.

If they are all painting rocks, then maybe not.

Hey, who says painting rocks isn't an appropriate use of my subordinates' time?

:sarcasm:

orca73 said:

Why not ask a question with a tad bit more specifics?

Based solely on your question and based nothing more than a mere guess on my part, I'd think you are speaking about pursing higher education through an approved ILP.  In which case, it's done on "your own time" and after hours.

What you do, at your desk, work load permitting, with higher level approval, is between you and your CoC.

Lumber said:
Hey, who says painting rocks isn't an appropriate use of my subordinates' time?

Your profile says MARS, yet it should read INF - The RCR.

dapaterson said:

My friends in the RCR might take offense to that... if they weren't so busy painting rocks...

orca73 said:

Come up with a plan and discusss it with your supervisor, put in a memo and send it up to the COC. I have been allowed to do the same thing as you describe during work hours so it is possible.

dapaterson said:
Not so sure about that - MARS + Shore Office =  ??? Just about anything.

CountDC said:
Not so sure about that - MARS + Shore Office =  ??? Just about anything.

MARS + Shore Office =  Expert in developing "Make Work"

Back