• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CP driFIRE silklight T-shirt?

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Hey advertising works. Clicked on a link for the CP drifire silklight T shirt.

http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=500&www=&delivery=&ck_php?oaparams=2__bannerid=98__zoneid=7__cb=62c1aaabc4__maxdest=http:&www_cpgear_com=&default_asp?mn=1.19.56

Looked pretty neat. I was going to pick up 3 or 4 of them until I saw they cost $50 each, ouch.
Has anyone bought one of these before? Are they work the $50?

Drifire is not as effective as say CarbonX ,but does provide thermal protection and wicking capabilities equal to Under Armor  T shirts without the nasty melting.

I have some, plus the long-sleeved version, and the underwear (which I am wearing right now). The latter had to be ordered directly from DriFire, who only shipped UPS when I ordered, so that put the price up a bit. Worth it not to have my nads encased in polyester, though. They're comfortable, but the real test of that comes in a few more weeks.

OK Question here:

My Sergeant Major (albeit a forward thinking one) is on. Is this approved for wear by the troops? I see that it is advertised as flame resistant etc so that it might not flame up like dry weave (ie Under Armor type shirts, which is strictly forbidden to wear in uniform at any time due to its flammability issues).
If there are no flammability/melting issues, then I'm all for it, provided the shirts are safe to wear.

OldSolduer said:
OK Question here:

My Sergeant Major (albeit a forward thinking one) is on. Is this approved for wear by the troops? I see that it is advertised as flame resistant etc so that it might not flame up like dry weave (ie Under Armor type shirts, which is strictly forbidden to wear in uniform at any time due to its flammability issues).
If there are no flammability/melting issues, then I'm all for it, provided the shirts are safe to wear.

Officially approved, as in DLR/DSSPM give their blessing in writing?  No, but then again, anything other than the issued t-shirt isn't officially approved for wear either (i.e. OD t-shirts sold at the unit kitshop, etc.).  In regard to safety, it is better in terms of fire resistant protection when compared to the issued poly/cotton blend t-shirt in that it is self-extinguishing and non-melting/dripping, whereas the issued t-shirt will continue to burn even with the initial ignition source removed, and the polyester content may cause melting/dripping.

Hey Matt,

Need someone to test those shirts for ya overseas?  ;D

Anyone given Tac Wear's Nomex shirts a try?

Edit: here is a link:

http://www.tacwear.com/productbymanuf.php?mfgid=2

Matt_Fisher said:
Officially approved, as in DLR/DSSPM give their blessing in writing?  No, but then again, anything other than the issued t-shirt isn't officially approved for wear either (i.e. OD t-shirts sold at the unit kitshop, etc.).  In regard to safety, it is better in terms of fire resistant protection when compared to the issued poly/cotton blend t-shirt in that it is self-extinguishing and non-melting/dripping, whereas the issued t-shirt will continue to burn even with the initial ignition source removed, and the polyester content may cause melting/dripping.

It looks like a good shirt, will you be able to offer it in black for us Navy types down the road?  I am sure there could be interrest from the Air types too.

I have 2 of these in OD, very good, wicks sweat well and dry much more quickly than the standard cotton tees we have.

I have 2 CP drifire in OD...not as great as under armour, but with the non melting fire resistant jazz,  i suppose its as best as its gonna get

I've now been wearing the driFIRE underwear for three months (with regular changes and washes thereof, of course). I cannot comment on the flame-protection aspect and am delaying testing of that for a bit longer, but the comfort and durability are fine.

OldSolduer said:
(ie Under Armor type shirts, which is strictly forbidden to wear in uniform at any time due to its flammability issues).

Like all of that polyester crap and nylon that is issued?

Loachman said:
I've now been wearing the driFIRE underwear for three months (with regular changes and washes thereof, of course). I cannot comment on the flame-protection aspect and am delaying testing of that for a bit longer, but the comfort and durability are fine.

Like all of that polyester crap and nylon that is issued?

Are they available in theater?

NL_engineer said:
Are they available in theater?

I dunno about that driFIRE stuff; but the US PX had a lot of those Tan an OD Under Armour t-shirts when I was over there.

Haven't seen driFIRE for sale here, and I wouldn't wear the flammable/meltable/stickable stuff.

-Skeletor- said:
I dunno about that driFIRE stuff; but the US PX had a lot of those Tan an OD Under Armour t-shirts when I was over there.

Aren't the UA stuff banned from outside the wire use?

Yes, they are banned, just as much of the issue clothing should be - for the same reasons.

Loachman said:
Yes, they are banned, just as much of the issue clothing should be - for the same reasons.
Good answer! I have a grin a mile wide! ;D

Back