• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl David Braun 2 VP (22 Aug 06)

RIP Cpl Braun and thank you.  My condolences to the family and friends and best wishes for the speedy recovery of the injured.

RIP Cpl Braun

My deepest condolences to the family and friends

Maggie

RIP Cpl Braun. My thoughts are with your family, friends, and comrads. You will be missed.  :salute:  :cdn:  :salute:

:salute: Sad day for family , Sad day for Shilo , Sad day for the Batallion , Sad day for all.

RIP Cpl Braun

Condolences to the family and friends of Cpl, Braun.  Wishes for a speedy recovery to the wounded.
:salute: :cdn:
Ubique

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/08/23/soldier-condolences.html

Braun 'gave his heart and soul' to mission
Last Updated Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:48:50 EDT
CBC News
A soldier who was killed by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan on Tuesday was a "fine young man" and a "brave soldier" who gave his "heart and soul" to the Kandahar mission, Canadian government and military officials said.

The body of Cpl. David Braun, from CFB Shilo, Man., is carried onto a C-130 Hercules aircraft at the Kandahar Air Field in Afghanistan on Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2006. Braun was killed in a suicide attack in Kandahar the day before. (Terry Pedwell/Canadian Press) Prime Minister Stephen Harper extended his sympathies to the family and friends of Cpl. David Braun, who was killed while on patrol near downtown Kandahar when an insurgent bomber plowed his explosives-laden car into a Canadian convoy and detonated the bomb. Three other soldiers were injured in the attack.

"Our country honours this brave soldier, who exemplifies the best that Canada has to offer. While deeply saddened by his loss, I hope his family may find some comfort in knowing that Canadians share their sorrow," Harper said in a statement on Wednesday.

"We are proud of Cpl. Braun's contribution to our mission in Afghanistan, and of all our Canadian Forces men and women who soldier on in the name of democratic values and freedom."

The three other Canadian soldiers injured in the attack are listed in good condition. Harper extended wishes for their speedy recovery.

Braun was a "fine young man," said Gen. Rick Hillier, Canada's top soldier.

"We lost a soldier yesterday, a fine young man, and obviously our thoughts, our prayers are with his family during this, the worst days of their lives," Hillier said after a speaking engagement in St. John's.

Braun was a member of the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

Military officials said the body is expected to be returned to Canada by Friday. A ramp ceremony was held at the Kandahar airfield on Wednesday night. Braun's casket was carried onto a C-130 Hercules aircraft.

Governor General Michaëlle Jean said in a statement that all Canadians share in the grief felt by Braun's family.

Cpl. David Braun was killed in a suicide attack on Tuesday in Kandahar. (CP PHOTO/DND) "I know that all Canadians empathize with the deep sorrow felt by the family, friends and colleagues of this young man, who willingly gave his heart and soul so that the Afghan people could have a better future," she said.

Two hours after the suicide attack, a 10-year-old Afghan boy was shot and killed by a Canadian soldier at the site of the suicide attack. He was a passenger on a motorcycle that crossed the security perimeter of the site.

Soldiers warned the driver, a 17-year-old Afghan, to stop, but he failed to do so and a soldier opened fire, with one bullet passing through the driver and killing his passenger.

The body of the boy has been returned to his parents, while the teenager was taken to hospital at Kandahar airfield and is listed in stable condition.

Braun is the 27th Canadian soldier to be killed in Afghanistan since Canada first sent troops there in early 2002.

RIP Cpl Braun and my condolences to the family and friends.  :salute:

RIP and condolences to family and comrades-in-arms.  To the wounded, speedy recovery. :salute: :cdn:

My condolences to the family and friends of Cpl David Braun.

Death of a Soldier

The death of a soldier is one
which no one will see.
They only know of his courage,
of his wish to be free.

And so he fights for his country
to the death of his soul.
He did his duty,
played out the role.

Can we show him
what was the gain,
through his death,
through his pain.

What have we to show
for the loss of these men.
Where is the freedom?
Will we ever see it, when?

They gave us their souls,
asking nothing in return.
Wishing only to give us the freedom
for which we all yearn.

On the battlefield
he dies alone.
The fight continues,
and has grown.

Blessed Lord,
let us be free.
Before we are all
to blind to see

The Death of a Soldier
Who has died to set us free.

© 1999, Jennifer DuBois

:cdn: :salute: :cdn:

Comradeship
When a soldier was injured and coulden't get back to safety, his buddy went out to get him against his officer's orders. He returned mortally wounded and his friend whom he had carried back was dead. The officer was angry "I told you not to go " he said, now I've lost both of you it wasn't worth it. The dying man replied "but it was sir, because when I got to him, he said Jim I knew you'd come."

:cdn: 2VP " Second To None "  :cdn:

Hill677 said:
:cdn: :salute: :cdn:

Comradeship
When a soldier was injured and coulden't get back to safety, his buddy went out to get him against his officer's orders. He returned mortally wounded and his friend whom he had carried back was dead. The officer was angry "I told you not to go " he said, now I've lost both of you it wasn't worth it. The dying man replied "but it was sir, because when I got to him, he said Jim I knew you'd come."

:cdn: 2VP " Second To None "  :cdn:

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=e3498790-f655-45bb-8e76-39a2911ec78f&k=63669

Braun laid to rest

Will Chabun
Leader-Post

Thursday, August 31, 2006

CREDIT: CP PHOTO/Jonathan Hayward
Mother of Cpl. David Braun, Patty along with his two brothers Chris and Mike along with sister Diana look on as his coffin is put into a hearse during a repatriation ceremony at CFB Trenton, Ont. Saturday August, 26, 2006.

CREDIT: CP PHOTO/HO - DND
Cpl. David Braun is seen in an undated handout photo. Braun was killed in suicide attack on Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2006 in Kandahar, Afghanistan.

RAYMORE, Sask. -- Silent and solemn, a block-long line of soldiers and Royal Canadian Legion members, all raising their hands in salute, helped the family of David Braun bid farewell to the young army corporal Thursday afternoon.

Their poignant salute followed an emotional funeral service for the 27-year-old corporal, killed in action near Kandahar, Afghanistan, on Aug. 22 while serving with the 2nd Battalion of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry.

In a wide-ranging eulogy, Terry Braman, Braun’s best friend since boyhood, told stories of a typical small-town Saskatchewan kid, fun-loving and fiercely loyal to his family, the kind of guy who wore a tuxedo and running shoes to his 1997 graduation from Raymore High School — in the gymnasium where his funeral service was held Thursday afternoon.

Hundreds of townspeople, military personnel and mourners from all over central Saskatchewen had packed the gym in this town 100 kilometres north of Regina a full 30 minutes before the funeral service began.

At one point during The Battle Hymn of the Republic, husky young men were dabbing at their eyes. As it ended, one woman’s sobbing could be heard.

Stationed at CFB Shilo, Man., Braun is survived by his mother, sister, and two brothers.

Braman told hundreds of mourners that Braun’s death filled him with a powerful sense of loss, one that was "overpowered by something stronger: Intense pride."

He said his friend never spoke of any fear in going to Afghanistan, but "simply said, ‘I didn’t re-sign my (enlistment) contract to sit around Shilo, that’s for sure.’ "

Rev. Rey Dahlen, in his gospel, praised Braun for his commitment in defending not only the rights and freedoms of Canadians, but also those of the people of Afghanistan.

Noting the warm reception his own father, a veteran of the wartime Canadian Army, received several years ago from the people of the Netherlands, Dahlen said there will come a time when "all the people of God and this Earth will give a royal reception to everyone who has laid down his life for his friends."

Terry’s father, Jim Braman, who had taught and coached Braun over many years in this town of about 700, joked that the high-spirited Braun’s favourite TV channel was whatever was showing Looney Tunes — followed by the History Channel, Discovery and CNN, emphasizing Braun’s growing interest in the Canadian Forces and world affairs during his adolescence.

From that came a strong belief in the righteousness of Canada’s military support for the fledgling government in Afghanistan against domestic and foreign insurgents.

Paraphrasing English philospher Edmund Burke and his famous quote about how all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing, Jim said, "David Braun was a good kid who grew up to be a good man — who refused to be silent..."

"He’s speaking volumes to us now. Please listen to what he said," the elder Braman continued. "Remember him. Be proud of him."

The funeral was followed by a private interment ceremony at the Raymore Protestant Cemetery.

Braun’s family has indicated that in lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Corporal David Braun Memorial Raymore School Student Enhancement Program in care of the Raymore Savings and Credit Union, P.O. Box 460, Raymore, Sask., S0A 3J0.

Back