• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl David Braun 2 VP (22 Aug 06)

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060813/afghanistan_blasts_060821/20060822?hub=TopStories

Cdn. killed, 3 hurt in Afghanistan suicide attack
Updated Tue. Aug. 22 2006 10:41 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A Canadian soldier was killed and three others were wounded Tuesday in a suicide attack near a Canadian compound in Kandahar City.

Defence officials named the latest victim as Cpl. David Braun from CFB Shilo in Manitoba.

Braun died when a vehicle packed with explosives ploughed into a Canadian resupply convoy.

One civilian -- a young girl -- and the attacker were also killed in the blast that took place just outside Camp Nathan Smith -- home to Canada's Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT) in the city.

The identities of the three injured Canadian soldiers have yet to be released.

Several hours after the bombing, a Canadian soldier shot to death an Afghan teenager and seriously wounded a young boy when a motorcycle approached a security perimeter around the bombing site.

Canadian military officials said a single bullet passed through the 17-year-old driver, and then struck and killed his 10-year-old passenger.

The teen ran from the scene, but he later returned to the Canadians for medical help and was airlifted to the military hospital at Kandahar Air Field.

Military officials could not confirm whether the soldier had fired a warning shot.

CTV's Matt McClure, reporting from Kandahar, said the military is investigating the shooting.

"The Department of National Defence has what's called a National Investigation Service, which is an independent but internal body that . . . will investigate whether or not this was an appropriate use of deadly force by Canadian soldiers," said McClure.

The Canadian soldier who fired the shot may have believed the motorcycle was carrying an explosive, said Col. Fred Lewis, deputy commander of the Canadian contingent of NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

"Clearly the soldier thought they were (a threat). The soldier went through the standard escalation of the rules of engagement, giving verbal and visual warnings," said Lewis.

McClure described the scene following the blast as "very chaotic." A Canadian LAV-3 light armoured vehicle burned for hours after the massive blast. Another lesser-armoured G-Wagon jeep was also destroyed.

"There were huge plumes of smoke and fireballs as ammunition and grenades inside these vehicles blew off," McClure said.

Afghan journalists also reported that Canadian soldiers fired over their heads as they attempted to capture video and photographs at the bombing site.

The soldiers were on a NATO patrol when the suicide attack occurred.

The attack brings to eight the number of Canadian soldiers to die in southern Afghanistan in August.

Twenty-seven Canadian soldiers have been killed since Canada deployed ground forces to the country in early 2002.

McClure said the shootings that killed the teen and injured the young boy will likely be used by Taliban insurgents to stir up anger against foreign soldiers and attempt to "recruit more troops and young men to their cause."

"I suspect they'll try," said Lewis. "I would be concerned about it and I think we need to pass the right message to the Afghan people," he said.

"The message is that we're here to help them and we certainly would never want to hurt them."

With a report by CTV's Matt McClure and The Canadian Press in Kandahar

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2033

News Release
One Canadian Soldier killed, Three Wounded in Afghanistan
CEFCOM NR–06.019 - August 22, 2006

OTTAWA – At approximately 3:15 p.m. local time, a Canadian re-supply convoy traveling in Kandahar City was struck by a suicide bomber, killing one soldier and wounding three others.

The name of the deceased is being withheld at the request of the next of kin.

ISAF air assets evacuated the injured soldiers to the Canadian-led multinational hospital at the Kandahar Airfield. All three are in good condition with non-life threatening injuries.

A fire that resulted from the suicide bombing destroyed two Canadian vehicles in the convoy.

Approximately two hours later, while securing the site of the incident, a motorcycle carrying two people broke through the Afghan National Police outer security cordon at high speed. The driver failed to heed multiple warnings to stop as he headed towards the inner Canadian Forces cordon. A Canadian ISAF personnel on scene opened fire on the two in a defensive application of our rules of engagement.

Both civilians were flown to the Kandahar Airfield and brought to the Canadian-led medical facility to receive medical attention. One unfortunately passed away as a result of his injuries. The second civilian remains in serious condition.

An investigation will be conducted into the circumstances surrounding this incident.

The loss of life – both soldier and civilians – is deeply regretted.

Canada 's mission in Afghanistan is part of our contribution to the international campaign to help bring stability and security to the people of Afghanistan . There are significant risks involved in these operations, but we are achieving results by extending the reach of Afghan authorities and diminishing the capacity of the Taliban to challenge coalition forces. Today's tragic incident will not deter us from our mission and we will continue to work towards creating a brighter future for the long-suffering people of Afghanistan .

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20060813%2fafghanistan_blasts_060821&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V2&showbyline=True

Cdn. killed, 3 hurt in Afghanistan suicide attack
22/08/2006 11:01:19 PM 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canadian troops are preparing for a potential backlash in Afghanistan after the shooting death of a young boy -- just hours after one of their own died in a suicide attack.

Cpl. David Braun from CFB Shilo in Manitoba was the latest Canadian soldier to be killed in Afghanistan -- the 8th this month alone. 

Defence officials named the latest victim as Cpl. David Braun from CFB Shilo in Manitoba.

Braun died when a vehicle packed with explosives ploughed into a Canadian resupply convoy.

One civilian -- a young girl -- and the attacker were also killed in the blast that took place just outside Camp Nathan Smith, which houses Canada's Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT) in the city.

The identities of the three injured Canadian soldiers have not yet been released.

Several hours after the bombing, a Canadian soldier shot to death an Afghan teenager and seriously wounded a young boy when a motorcycle approached a security perimeter around the bombing site.

Canadian military officials said a single bullet passed through the 17-year-old driver, and then struck and killed his 10-year-old passenger.

The teen ran from the scene, but he later returned to the Canadians for medical help and was airlifted to the military hospital at Kandahar Air Field.

CTV's Matt McClure, reporting from Kandahar, said the military is investigating the shooting.

"The Department of National Defence has what's called a National Investigation Service, which is an independent but internal body that . . . will investigate whether or not this was an appropriate use of deadly force by Canadian soldiers," said McClure.

Military officials could not confirm whether the soldier had fired a warning shot.

But Col. Fred Lewis, deputy commander of the Canadian contingent of NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), said the soldier may have believed the motorcycle was carrying an explosive.

"Clearly the soldier thought they were (a threat). The soldier went through the standard escalation of the rules of engagement, giving verbal and visual warnings," said Lewis.

McClure described the scene following the blast as "very chaotic." A Canadian LAV-3 light armoured vehicle burned for hours after the massive blast. Another lesser-armoured G-Wagon jeep was also destroyed.

"There were huge plumes of smoke and fireballs as ammunition and grenades inside these vehicles blew off," McClure said.

Afghan journalists also reported that Canadian soldiers fired over their heads as they attempted to capture video and photographs at the bombing site.

The attack brings to eight the number of Canadian soldiers to die in southern Afghanistan in August.

Twenty-seven Canadian soldiers have been killed since Canada deployed ground forces to the country in early 2002.

Defence officials are concerned the shootings that killed the teen and injured the young boy will likely be used by Taliban insurgents to stir up anger against foreign soldiers and to recruit more troops and young men to their cause.

"I suspect they'll try," said Lewis. "I would be concerned about it and I think we need to pass the right message to the Afghan people," he said.

"The message is that we're here to help them and we certainly would never want to hurt them."

With a report by CTV's Matt McClure and The Canadian Press in Kandahar

Riding in vehicles through Kabul used to give me the creeps, but when yet another of our best is cruelly taken from us, I now just get mad and more resolute that we shall overcome. RIP my friend, and our prayers and thoughts to all those that knew and loved you.

My thoughts are with the family, friends and comrades of the fallen & injured.

Another soldier to add to the list of fallen heroes. I wish a speedy recovery to the injured.

My heart goes out to 2VP. Stay strong boys/girls. You're all in my thoughts.

I find it even harder to hear this sad news with a friend from 2VP over there now.

The thoughts and prayers of my wife and I are with Cpl. David Braun, his family, loved ones and his comrades, as well as those who were wounded and their families and loved ones.  We will have a kind thought for all of them in our heart tonight.

RIP Cpl Braun, thoughts are with the fallen, wounded, and their's who hold them close.

:salute:

from the CBC website...

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/08/22/afghanistan-cda.html

Cpl. Jesse Melnyck was listed in stable, non-critical condition, and was to be flown to a hospital in Landstuhl, Germany for further treatment. The other soldier, whose name has not been released, was reported in good condition in hospital at Kandahar airfield.

RIP soldier and a speedy recovery to the injured.

Sending prayers and condolences to the family of our fallen. Thank you for your sacrifice.

It breaks my heart every time I hear of such incidents. And I mend that heart in my beliefs that it was not all in vain. Our military is making a difference over there (slowly, but surely, somehow). I know that for every report of death or injury there are numerous incidents of rebuilding and (name taking).

I send wishes of speedy recovery for the injured.

These are hard times for 2VP. My heart goes out to the regiment.

Stand tall boys, you still make us proud.

RIP Cpl Braun  :salute:
My sincere condolences to the family.

Speedy recovery to the injured

The unamed soldier "DM" from Shiloh, is at the Kandahar Base and when I last spoke to his mother is doing good.
The loss of his friend Cpl. David Braun is weighing heavy on him as it is with all of their troop. I don't know what
else to say.

Once again, we salute a fallen comrade and offer our thoughts and prayers to his family and loved ones. :cdn:

Back