• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl. Francisco Gomez, & Cpl. Jason Patrick Warren

Two names added to the Roll of Honour.The torch is being passed: nobody should doubt, any longer, whether or not the word ''veteran'' can be honourably applied to Canadian soldiers who serve today.  God bless these two and their families. Strength to the troops pulling the last few days of their tour, and determination to the Royals (and friends) as they prepare to take up the fight. :cdn: :cdn: :salute:

Cheers

No man truly dies as long as he has friends who remember him. Although I do not have the honour of naming them as my friends, I will remember them.

THEY SHALL GROW NOT OLD AS WE
THAT ARE LEFT GROW OLD;
AGE SHALL NOT WEARY THEM NOR
THE YEARS CONDEMN.
AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN
AND IN THE MORNING,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=c64439d7-295f-41e0-9d82-5a4741c7ccc8

Black Watch 'really shaken' by casualty in Kandahar
Reservists rehearse rites for Montrealer

KATHERINE WILTON
The Gazette

Monday, July 24, 2006

CREDIT: JOHN KENNEY, THE GAZETTE
Members of the Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada practise the unloading of a casket from an aircraft in preparation for the return of the body of Cpl. Jason Warren of Montreal.

Carrying a flag-draped casket on their shoulders, soldiers from the Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada yesterday practised a solemn ceremony they had hoped they would never have to perform.

They were preparing for the return of the body of Cpl. Jason Patrick Warren, a highly regarded soldier who died Saturday in Afghanistan after his armoured vehicle was attacked by a suicide bomber.

Several young reservists, some in civilian clothes and others sporting the Black Watch's traditional red hackle (regimental feather), carried the casket around the armoury's parade square.

Cpl. Brian Hill said he had been looking forward to hoisting a few pints with Warren.

The gregarious 29-year-old was to return to Montreal in mid-August following his six-month deployment.

Instead, Hill spent yesterday morning talking about how much Warren loved his job and his fellow soldiers.

Whether he was outmuscling an opponent in floor hockey or battling enemies in a war zone, Warren earned the respect of his colleagues.

He also had a fabulous grin.

"He was one of the best around here - he was tough in training. He wanted things to go right and he was always looking out for the younger guys," Hill said at the regiment's headquarters on Bleury St.

"But he didn't like the spotlight - that wasn't Jay."

Hill, 28, said his friend was excited about going to Afghanistan, a mission for which he had volunteered.

He was home Saturday afternoon when he received word of Warren's death.

Warren and Cpl. Francisco Gomez, 44, of the Edmonton-based Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, were killed by insurgents not far from the coalition base in Kandahar.

Eight other Canadian soldiers were wounded when a car packed with explosives rammed their armoured vehicle.

A senior member of the Black Watch regiment was meeting yesterday with Warren's parents, who live in Ontario, to discuss funeral arrangements. Warren also has a brother and a sister who is in the army.

National Defence spokesperson Lisa Brooks said yesterday she didn't know when Warren's body will be brought back to Canada or when his funeral will take place.

Reports from Afghanistan yesterday said the bodies of both soldiers were expected to be returned early tomorrow, after a ramp ceremony at Kandahar airfield's runway strip.

Warren's family did not want to speak with the media yesterday, Brooks said.

Warren, who was single, grew up in Quebec City and had lived in Montreal since 1995.

The full-time reservist joined the Black Watch in 1999 and served with the Royal 22nd Regiment in Bosnia in 2002.

Friends said they knew little about his family.

"He didn't talk about the past - mostly about the present," said Master Cpl. Anouk Beauvais, of the 3rd Field Engineer Regiment in Westmount, who trained with Warren before his departure for Afghanistan. She said Warren's death was a big loss for the Black Watch family and the entire Canadian military.

Earlier in the day, Lt.-Col. Tom MacKay, the commanding officer of the Black Watch, came to the armoury to encourage his troops to "stay strong."

"It is very tough - the guys are really shaken," Beauvais said.

In emails sent to Beauvais's boyfriend and his Black Watch buddies, Warren wrote that life in Afghanistan "wasn't so bad and that he would be coming home soon."

After word of his death spread throughout Montreal's close-knit military community, soldiers from other regiments turned up at the Black Watch armoury Saturday night to commiserate with his stunned colleagues. "We laughed about the good times," Hill said.

At the end of the evening, someone wrote a message to Warren in the guest book located in the men's mess. "Shine on us all Warren, you're a star - shine on us all, we will never forget you."

kwilton@thegazette.canwest.com

Cpl. Jason Warren was a good friend of mine whom I met in '95.  He was the most honest person I've ever met and we had such good times together.
It is of no surprise that he would make such a sacrifice because he gave so much of himself.  When we'd go out, he was such a gentleman, a man of old school values yet he'd always be up-to-date with the cultural going-ons and trends of the heart of downtown Montreal.  I could just pick up the phone and call and Jay would be there.  The last time we spoke, he was cheering me up about something that had upset me and despite his strength and toughness, he was vulnerable and was able to show his tender side.  I know army guys don't like to show their sensitive sides too much, but Jay didn't care about that - as long as he was doing what he felt was right. 

It's hard to do even the most menial task since his passing without thinking about our inside jokes and precious good times.  There were more to be had... I find comfort in your posts, especially the poems which fit him so well.  I loved him like a brother and will never forget him.

A friend in Montreal

We are now preparing to give Cpl Jason Warren a major Black Watch send off.  His family will tell us their wishes and we will make it so.  Rest assured that his family has a larger Military family to be there for them.  Cpl Warren was a great guy, a superb soldier who was committed and well liked by all.  He and Cpl Gomez will NOT be forgotten by any of the Black Watch family - serving or retired.

God Bless to all soldiers, where ever they are and remember no matter what Regiment you are or where you are, you are part of a very large, very proud and very caring family....

To the families and friends of Corporal Gomez and Corporal Warren, my thoughts are with you as we remember these two Soldiers who died that others may live in freedom. As an American, I feel humbled when I learn of the courage and fortitude that Canadian Soldiers bring with them in all they do.

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20060718%2fafghanistan_ramp_060725&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V2&showbyline=True

Remains of fallen soldiers begin journey home
25/07/2006 10:49:14 AM 

Hundreds of Canadian and coalition soldiers in Afghanistan bid a tearful farewell early Tuesday to two fallen comrades killed in a suicide blast near Kandahar.

CTV.ca News Staff

Canadian Forces and coalition personnel participate in the RAMP ceremony at the coalition base at Kandahar. (Steve Chao / CTV News) 

A lone bagpiper played as the bodies of Cpl. Francisco Gomez, 44, of Edmonton and Cpl. Jason Warren, 29, of Montreal were carried onto a C-130 Hercules aircraft to begin the long journey back to Canada.

Both soldiers were killed Saturday when a suicide bomber detonated a car filled with explosives beside their Bison armoured vehicle as they made their way back to Kandahar.

The attack, which also injured eight soldiers, took place as around 600 Canadian troops were returning from more than two weeks of fighting in the volatile Helmand province, west of Kandahar.

Both soldiers were set to return home next month after their six-month deployments.

CTV's Steve Chao, reporting from Kandahar Airfield, described a "a very sombre mood" at the coalition base.

"Even some of the toughest soldiers were shedding tears saying they will be sorely missed," Chao told Newsnet Tuesday.

"Many are saying these two were excellent soldiers, very much veterans. Both were scheduled to come home in about two weeks and they would have been thinking about their wives and their children."

Chao said the eight wounded soldiers were not "injured too badly."

One has been sent to the military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany, while the seven others "wanted to give a good send off to their comrades" and attended the ramp ceremony, Chao said.

'Gut-wrenching'

"It's not easy, and it doesn't get any easier every time I see one of those coffins," Brig.-Gen. David Fraser, the Canadian commander of coalition forces in southern Afghanistan, told the Canadian Press after the ceremony Tuesday.

"It's gut-wrenching. Every soldier wounded or killed is important to me. They're all special. But when I see Canadians it touches closer to home."

The blast that killed the soldiers was one of two suicide attacks on Saturday.

A second explosion, about 30 metres from the first one, killed up to eight Afghan civilians and injured dozens of others after a man wearing explosives walked into a crowd.

The violence in Afghanistan has intensified and spread in recent days.

Two American soldiers were seriously hurt Monday when they drove past a van packed with explosives that had slowed down in front of them.

Afghan government and police officials are urging Afghan civilians to report strangers or suspicious people to local police in an effort to stop the suicide attacks.

Gomez and Warren were the 18th and 19th Canadian soldiers to be killed in Afghanistan since early 2002.

Hello - back again....We love our Military Family - the postings on our Regimental site, the Black Watch are fabulous.  The Black Watch will show the love it has for its family next week, although it always has done so. Jason was a wild and crazy guy and fun to be with but when you get down to being a soldier he was very serious about his work and anyone who knew him knows this to be the truth. We in the Military Family have lost an important someone but he will not be forgotten. We will not forget anyone who has lost their lives for our Country, for their love of their job, for their want to make things just that much better in this world of ours. We in the Military know the heart and deep soulful feelings we have for each other, our Regiments, our country. Canadian soldiers are the best and they prove it continuously.

I remember when we were in Mortar Pl, 2PPCLI. Frank joined up at a local martial art club. Every Saturday morning, Frank would get up early and go to this program. I would meet him for lunch at the messhall and he would tell me how he got the shit kicked out of him by a bunch of little kids. You see, Frank was a white belt and most of his class were kids under 13 yrs old. He would smile that big smile he had which made his oversized glasses ride up towards his forehead and say, "those kids are fun."

Frank was a good man. He was happy with his lot in life, driving a carrier. I still think he would hit those ruts on purpose then turn around in his drivers hole and smile at me, both of us covered in mud.

I will be attending the funeral in Edm. He was my friend.

JDB

Hello
I served with Frank for many years with mortar platoon 2ppcli and I thought he was one of the finest people I ever knew. When we were bellyaching and complaining Frank just went about his work quietly. Frank was one of those people who if you lit his pants on fire  wouldn't say boo.He had the dryest sense of humour, often suffering weeks of needling before turning on his tormentor and delivering a devasting quip that would leave you redfaced and embarrassed in front of the platoon. We called it a drive by witism. He was a character, we loved him. When I found out he had been killed it felt like I had been punched in the stomach. Many people who knew him said the same thing they couldn't believe that such a kind stand up guy was gone. I will be there Tuesday to say good bye to our friend.

Champ

champ said:
Hello
I served with Frank for many years with mortar platoon 2ppcli and I thought he was one of the finest people I ever knew. When we were bellyaching and complaining Frank just went about his work quietly. Frank was one of those people who if you lit his pants on fire  wouldn't say boo.He had the dryest sense of humour, often suffering weeks of needling before turning on his tormentor and delivering a devasting quip that would leave you redfaced and embarrassed in front of the platoon. We called it a drive by witism. He was a character, we loved him. When I found out he had been killed it felt like I had been punched in the stomach. Many people who knew him said the same thing they couldn't believe that such a kind stand up guy was gone. I will be there Tuesday to say good bye to our friend.

Champ

Well said Champ! Frank was indeed one of the nicest guys I had ever met in the military. He will be missed.

RIP soldiers. You've done your duty well

I cant wait until I'm done high school  :threat:

:cdn: :cdn: :cdn:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2006/08/01/funeral-gomez.html

Edmonton remembers Cpl. Francisco Gomez
Last Updated: Tuesday, August 1, 2006 | 4:30 PM MT
CBC News
A private service for Cpl. Francisco Gomez, who died in Afghanistan on July 22, was held Tuesday morning in south Edmonton.

Cpl. Gomez, 44, of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry based in Edmonton, was killed when a suicide bomber attacked a military convoy returning to Kandahar airfield. Gomez was driving an armoured vehicle.

Cpl. Jason Warren, top, and Cpl. Francisco Gomez were killed on July 22 when a suicide bomber rammed a vehicle packed with explosives into their convoy.
(Department of National Defence)
Not married and with no children, Gomez was fully dedicated to the military, recalled friend Peter Cochrane after the service.

"He was happy being a corporal. It wasn't that he couldn't have advanced in rank — it's what he liked doing. That is the working rank of the military. He was a soldier's soldier."

The procession to the funeral home included a riderless horse, as Gomez was a member of Lord Strathcona's Horse regiment. A pair of boots were set in the stirrups facing backward, signifying the death of one of their own.

The casket, draped in a Canadian flag, was towed to the funeral by a light armoured vehicle. The pallbearers party marched behind, 11 soldiers wearing military dress uniforms and black berets.

The service for Gomez was held in Hainstock's Funeral Home.

Gomez was a 23-year veteran of the military who had served in Bosnia, Somalia and Cyprus. He was supposed to return from Afghanistan at the end of August, finishing a six-month deployment.

Ceremony to be held in Ottawa

The July attack was the most serious on Canada's soldiers in Afghanistan since their arrival in February 2002.

Cpl. Jason Patrick Warren, 29, of Montreal's Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) was also killed. Eight other Canadian soldiers were wounded in the attack.

An interment ceremony for both Gomez and Warren will be held later this week at the National Military Cemetery in Ottawa.

About 2,300 Canadian soldiers are based in Kandahar.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060731/gomez_funeral_060801/20060801?hub=TopStories

Funeral held in Edmonton for Cpl. Francisco Gomez
Updated Tue. Aug. 1 2006 4:19 PM ET

Canadian Press

EDMONTON -- The plaintive wail of bagpipes on Tuesday signalled the start of the funeral for Cpl. Francisco Gomez, who was killed by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan on July 22.

The pipes were soon drowned out by the rumble of a light-armoured vehicle pulling Gomez's flag-draped casket behind it. The dull green vehicle is similar to the one he was driving the day he died.

In front of the tank, a brown horse led by a member of the Lord Strathcona's Horse - Gomez's unit - carried two shiny black boots facing backward in the stirrups, a sign of a fallen comrade.

The family waited outside the funeral home as the casket was taken inside. Several small children stood next to men and women holding hands as they followed behind the body.

Gomez, 44, was stationed with Edmonton's Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

He was unmarried and had no children.

The armoured vehicle carrying Gomez when he was killed was at the end of a convoy headed back to the Canadian base in Kandahar. The soldiers were returning after two weeks of fighting in volatile Helmand province.

Jason Warren of the Black Watch, the Royal Highland Regiment of Canada based in Montreal, also died in the suicide attack.

Eight other soldiers were injured in the blast, including two based at Canadian Forces Base Shilo, Man., and six from Edmonton.

Before coming to Edmonton, Gomez had served at Shilo.

He'd been stationed in Edmonton for about a year before his last tour of duty. But he was no stranger to military action in foreign, often dangerous countries - he'd also completed tours in Somalia, Bosnia and Cyprus.

The Venezuelan-born Gomez reportedly joined the Armed Forces right out of high school.

His older brother, Richard, also served in the military.

Gomez's family declined to comment outside the funeral home, and they had asked that reporters and photographers stay outside the chapel.

George Gomez, 76, has said his son was killed less than a week before he was to return home to Canada. He added the family accepted the risks the soldier was taking by going to Afghanistan.

The bodies of both Gomez and Warren will be interred at the Beechwood Military Cemetery in Ottawa on Thursday.

They were the 18th and 19th Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan since 2002.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/07/31/warren-afghanistan.html

Reservist son died in worthy cause, parents say
Last Updated Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:42:38 EDT
CBC News
The parents of the reservist killed in a suicide bombing near Kandahar told CBC Monday their son died for a worthy cause and that they wouldn't stop their daughter, also a soldier, from returning to serve in Afghanistan.

Deborah and Gerald Warren believe their son died fighting for a cause he believed in. (CBC) Cpl. Jason Warren 29, of Montreal, and Cpl. Francisco Gomez, 44, of Edmonton died on July 22 when a suicide bomber blew up his vehicle close to their troop carrier near the coalition base in Kandahar.

Gerald and Deborah Warren said they believe their son died fighting for a cause he believed in.

"I asked him, 'Do you feel you're accomplishing anything there? Because for a lot of people here, it seems very hopeless," said Gerald Warren. "And he said, "Yes, and we are accomplishing, It's not easy and it's a long haul, but there are some achievements there.' "

The Warrens said they last talked to their son by satellite phone just two days before the fatal attack.

"I told him, I said 'We've got your back Jason,' and I love you so much and he said 'I love you Mom,' " said Deborah Warren.

Cpl. Warren served with the Black Watch, the Royal Highland Regiment of Canada. It was his second overseas mission, following a deployment in Bosnia in 2002.

Eight others, including one Canadian, were injured in the attack that killed Gomez and Warren.

Coalition soldiers honoured the pair of fallen soldiers in a ceremony at Kandahar Airfield two days after the bombing, with Canadian military officials gathering at CFB Trenton in eastern Ontario last Thursday at a repatriation ceremony.

"Those guys in Afghanistan treated our son with such dignity and we felt such an outpouring of love from them and we know that it's hard for them," said Gerald Warren.

Cpl. Rachel Warren of the Royal Canadian Dragoons of Petawawa, Ont., has already done two tours of duty in Afghanistan as a soldier and plans to return.

"I would never, never try to stop her," said Deborah Warren. "It would be so hard as a mother. I would not want to lose another child, but I would never stand in her way. Just hug her a lot before she leaves.

"Her gut reaction is a soldier's gut reaction: I'd like to go finish what Jason tried to accomplish," added a tearful Gerald Warren.

The funeral for Cpl. Warren will be held in Montreal on Wednesday.

A private funeral will be held for Cpl. Gomez on Tuesday in Edmonton.

Last week, George Gomez, the soldier's father, said he died for a worthy cause.

"We are not broken up about his death because we know from the philosophy that we have, he is still alive," said Gomez.

Since Canada began its mission in Afghanistan in 2002, 19 soldiers and one diplomat have been killed.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060718/afghanistan_funeral_060802/20060802?hub=TopStories

1,000 attend funeral of Cpl. Jason Warren

Updated Wed. Aug. 2 2006 5:47 PM ET

Canadian Press

MONTREAL -- A proud but devastated corporal saluted her brother's flag-draped casket Wednesday as a military family said goodbye to Cpl. Jason Patrick Warren.

With her grandfather, retired brigadier-general DJ Gagnon nearby, Cpl. Rachelle Warren, 26, watched quietly as her eldest brother's body was carried past a Royal Highland Regiment of Canada honour guard from the Black Watch's chapel in downtown Montreal.

His ceremonial belt and dagger sat atop the casket as a soldier followed, carrying his medals on a black pillow.

As the procession exited the 75-year-old gothic church, the regiment's band played the bagpipes.

Debbie Warren clutched a tissue and closed her eyes as traffic stopped and pedestrians respectfully paid tribute to her son from both sides of the busy street.

On her black jacket was the Silver Cross awarded by Quebec Lt.-Gov. Lise Thibault at the armoury just before the funeral.

About 1,000 people gathered inside the ornate church to honour Warren, one of two Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan on July 22.

The 29-year-old reservist and Cpl. Francisco Gomez, 44, of Edmonton died when a suicide bomber detonated a car filled with explosives beside the Bison armoured vehicle that Gomez was driving.

They were at the tail end of a large convoy returning from fighting west of Kandahar.

A funeral for Gomez was held Tuesday in Edmonton.

Warren was remembered as a fun-loving, professional and dedicated soldier who wanted to make a difference in the world.

"You will always remain in our hearts, never to be forgotten,'' Warren's father Gerry said during the funeral, his voice choked with emotion.

He recalled how Jason's last words to his mother two days before his death were `I love you.'

Not long before the tragedy, father and son discussed the mission in Afghanistan and agreed that the Canadian presence was making a positive difference.

Gerry Warren thanked Canadians for letters of support. He singled out soldiers in Kandahar for showing his son such dignity on a tarmac ceremony before his body was flown to Canada.

Prince Charles, who is colonel-in-chief of the regiment, sent his condolences in a letter that was read to the congregation.

Military funerals have been rare in Quebec, but Thibault said it's important to celebrate the services of soldiers like Warren.

He is the first Black Watch soldier killed in active combat since the Second World War; a peacekeeper also died in 1970.

As a natural-born leader who inspired others, Warren's death has struck a painful blow to his regimental buddies. But it also reinforced their desire to continue his efforts.

"I'm ready to go and continue his work,'' friend Cpl. Tom Meisner said in an emotional speech that drew ovations.

"Through his beliefs and actions, Jay is a hero.''

Fellow officers later agreed, saying they too are inspired to carry on Warren's mission of freedom.

Cpl. Peter Burcew is heading to Afghanistan next week hoping to help the beleaguered country get rid of the Taliban.

"Some of us sacrifice our lives to help those people and what we want from the Canadian people (is) support for that,'' he said.

While it's difficult to lose a friend, Master Cpl. Mathew Snodden said he's got great memories of Warren's intoxicating laugh and his desire to serve.

"It definitely reinforced our loyalty and especially our passion towards the job and want to go out and do another mission,'' he said.

Working in psychological operations, Warren used his warm personality to foster attitude changes among Afghan civilians, his mother said earlier this week.

"He loved the idea of being able to go into places and be able to counter the negative impact of the Taliban.''

Warren first served in Bosnia in 2002, about three years after he enlisted with the Black Watch. But he wanted more, one of the regiment's chaplains said.

"It was a passive part of the peacemaking business in the new millennium and he actively wanted to make a difference,'' Capt. Bruce Glencross said after the service, recalling a conversation they had last fall.

Warren and Gomez were the 18th and 19th Canadian soldiers to be killed in Afghanistan since 2002.

They will be buried Thursday at the National Military Cemetery in Ottawa.

RIP Brother  :salute: :cdn:

Back