• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

curiousity about government pay

Crimmsy

Inactive
Reaction score
I noticed a Government of Canada 2008 calendar at work that has every second Wednesday highlighted as a payday. Obviously we in uniform get paid twice monthly as opposed to bi-weekly. Does anyone know the reason for the difference between us and the rest of the government?

Right. That's what the calendar said. I'm just curious why the CF is different.

Crimmsy said:

The CF are paid as being on duty 24 and 7 for 12 months.  Civies in other Departments are paid Bi-weekly, which if you are paying a mortgage you would know that this adds an extra month to each year.  Therefore, the hard working CF member who is not entitled to Overtime or compensation for working 24 and 7, 12 months of the year lives to see his less hard working civilian counterparts earning an extra months pay, entitled to collect Overtime rates of pay, bonuses for cutting their staff in half, etc......... >:D.........Opps!

Seriously.  They are two completely different Pay Systems, just as every company in the country pays their employees differently, so does the CF.  Perhaps you'd like to have been in the Reserves in the '60's when they got paid twice a year?

Crimmsy said:

Because they're employed by DND and we are employed by the CF.

In the past, there have been rumblings about the CF going to the same pay-date basis as DND employees which would see us receiving our pays on every second Wednesday as well.

DND employees = 26 pays per year (every 2nd Wed)
CF members = 24 pays per year (15th & the last day of each month)

Funny thing is, it always stays the same as it is now because as soon as members find out that getting that 2 extra pays a year means taking their annual pay now and dividing it by 26 equal payments instead of the current 24 payments means less dollars in the bank/pay (although you'd get the same number of dollars per year) ... just isn't worth the costs associated of changing the system. (And, of course, there were always those members who just thought they should get the same # of dollars that they receive per pay deposited twice more per year to make it fair.  ::))

I once used this arguement the other way too. Back when I was a Pte ... one of my civilian co-workers complained that I got "more in the bank than he did even though the enviornmental factor (that 24/7 life/limb thing) didn't make up for the % difference between what he got each pay and what I got deposited each pay.

I just said -- you're forgetting to add on the two extra pays you get a year. My deposits may be a little higher than yours, but you get two more deposits. Now we're even.

He still whined. Go figure.

adaminc said:
Isn't biweekly, twice every month? lol

No

Bi-weekly is every 2 weeks .....ask anyone who has taken out a mortgage what the difference is between twice a month and bi-weekly.

I can see nothing has changed, CF employed civies are still complaining about everthing ::)

adaminc said:
Isn't biweekly, twice every month? lol

No.

Twice a month = 2x12 = 24 paychecks per year. Twice a month, every month, and that's the way I like it.
Biweekly = 52/2 = 26 paychecks per year. There's 2 months of the year where you get paid 3 times. Or, you could imagine it as twice a month if we had a thirteenth month.

Twice a month is nice for making monthly budgets, and is quite convenient for dividing expenses. Last paycheck of a month is next month's rent, and the paycheck on the 15th covers the bills. No fuss, no mess.

Of course, twice a month does have some drawbacks. Worst case, on a 31 day month, with the 15th falling on Monday of a 4-day long weekend (Easter in March again, anyone?), you will get payed on the 11th and the 31st (31st falling on a Wed in this case), putting 20 days between paychecks. Makes for a long 20 days when your pay on the 11th went towards paying the bills and refilling the fridge.

Twice a month = 2x12 = 24 paychecks per year. Twice a month, every month, and that's the way I like it.
Biweekly = 52/2 = 26 paychecks per year. There's 2 months of the year where you get paid 3 times. Or, you could imagine it as twice a month if we had a thirteenth month.

Twice a month is nice for making monthly budgets, and is quite convenient for dividing expenses. Last paycheck of a month is next month's rent, and the paycheck on the 15th covers the bills. No fuss, no mess.

I used to think the same way..until I started paying off a mortgage.  The extra payments add up.

Back