• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Current Dress Regs

@FSTO and @Furniture I also don't like the beret, but I think my peak cap was worse the wear from the move or something so just happened to be one of the weird times that I was wearing it. Outside of CADPATs it drives me nuts.

I wear the peak cap most of the time, but got an old RCN metal cap badge (similar to the army metal beret cap badges) instead as a compromise to thumbing my nose at that guy however many years later. Pretty sure it's not actually supposed to be worn anymore, but it does look pretty sweet, and no one has ever said anything about it.

Reactions: ueo
CAF might be accommodating but society will tell you how they really feel.

Or, tell your employer how they really feel. If your career was in the face - to- face customer service industry, as mine was.

They say you only have seven seconds to make a good first impression on a customer.

But, the CAF is not like that. As long as the CAF does its job on the land and sea, and in the air, although admittedly surprised as a former member, I could care less about their change in grooming standards.

That's between current Members and the CAF, if the objective is to help recruiting and retention.

Now Tar, as a member of that esteemed group, I can confirm that there is a lively discussion of dress and deportment and other issues non operations. Yes there are some martinets, just like everywhere else in the CAF, GoC, RCMP, The Teamsters, even the gangs running the TTC.

As of yet, its been years since I last drooled on myself!

I was a quasi founding member, back when it was a forum like Army.ca, and then transitioned into a FB group.

Originally is was good group, lots of good history on traditions and dress that was presented in an educational manner.

It has since become, like so many CAF related FB pages, a place for long retired old timers, with very short service histories, to vent their anger about the world changing and leaving them behind. I'm sorry if you've been out since the 60s, 70s, or 80s or before your input, while perhaps interesting, really isn't relevant anymore; you've been away from the fire for to long.

@FSTO and @Furniture I also don't like the beret, but I think my peak cap was worse the wear from the move or something so just happened to be one of the weird times that I was wearing it. Outside of CADPATs it drives me nuts.

I wear the peak cap most of the time, but got an old RCN metal cap badge (similar to the army metal beret cap badges) instead as a compromise to thumbing my nose at that guy however many years later. Pretty sure it's not actually supposed to be worn anymore, but it does look pretty sweet, and no one has ever said anything about it.

I'm not beret fan either. We should all be transitioned to ball caps for work dress.

But, the CAF is not like that. As long as the CAF does its job on the land and sea, and in the air, although admittedly surprised as a former member, I could care less about their change in grooming standards.

That's between current Members and the CAF, if the objective is to help recruiting and retention.

Don't think the new dress regs are helping recruiting or retention, maybe not how the CAF had intended anyway.

Biggest issues are still processing time for recruits, equipment and pay. Purple hair and beards won't stop the bleed.

I was a quasi founding member, back when it was a forum like Army.ca, and then transitioned into a FB group.

Originally is was good group, lots of good history on traditions and dress that was presented in an educational manner.

It has since become, like so many CAF related FB pages, a place for long retired old timers, with very short service histories, to vent their anger about the world changing and leaving them behind. I'm sorry if you've been out since the 60s, 70s, or 80s or before your input, while perhaps interesting, really isn't relevant anymore; you've been away from the fire for to long.
Same here. The bulk of the posts on there, now, seem to be from people who aren't providing historical perspective, however arcane and geeky, as previously, but just ranting and flailing about current changes that don't even particularly impact Naval Traditionâ„¢.

mr bean television GIF by Head Like an Orange

Ball caps would be a distinctive headdress for that. Inexpensive and would look pretty professional with Naval work dress in my mind. It just looks better than berets in that uniform.
Does anyone wear berets with NCDs anymore? I thought it was ball caps since they're issued?

I’m glad I’m retired. Ball caps and toque country here.

And I wear rain gear and jackets and NO gloves. A rebel I know 😉

How, will we stop the red horde in the Fulda Gap if we allow jackets with out gloves ? I tell you... Hands not in pockets win wars ;)

How, will we stop the red horde in the Fulda Gap if we allow jackets with out gloves ? I tell you... Hands not in pockets win wars ;)
baha! "Take off those inhuman hats" some Sapper SM in W Germany in 1981.......as someone was wearing a robin hood hat instead of a capbadge-less beret

Does anyone wear berets with NCDs anymore? I thought it was ball caps since they're issued?
Do pers in the Navy uniform all have ballcaps? I thought they only received them if they served on a ship.

I'm in the NCR and have seen a number of pers in NCDs wearing berets.

Do pers in the Navy uniform all have ballcaps? I thought they only received them if they served on a ship.

All RCN pers are entitled to wear a unit ball cap in NCDs. If a unit ballcap does not exist and the unit is unwilling to fund one, CANEX is supposed to sell a simple one with NAVY on it which they can wear as a substitute. Or they can wear berets.

In the NCR you need to buy your own, so a lot of cheap people won't spend the $25 to not have to wear a stupid looking beret. The first thing I did when I changed DEU was buy a hat, ensigns and command badges for my NCDs.

Fulda Gap? Isn't that a bit Cold Warish? Are we not friends with all those WP nations now - with the exception of one prominent one....

Back