• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Current Dress Regs

Time to cull the orders of dress and remove all public support for anything but the basics. If a unit can't find sugar daddies to pay for hats, skirts and jackets outside the basic DEU, you revert to the basic DEU.
Someone quite high up the bureaucratic-'leadership' food chain decided that ⬇️ this ⬇️ is a suitable order of dress to guard the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier. It seems to me that ⬇️ this ⬇️ is, also, therefore, the "basic DEU" for the Army and, one assumes, there is something similar for the Navy and RCAF. Let's leave shirts and ties (and kilts) and shiny boots behind, in the 19th and 20th centuries, and become he first post modern military.

Attachments

• D9hoS2aXYAAr-ns.jpeg
    D9hoS2aXYAAr-ns.jpeg
    434.6 KB · Views: 15
Someone quite high up the bureaucratic-'leadership' food chain decided that ⬇️ this ⬇️ is a suitable order of dress to guard the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier. It seems to me that ⬇️ this ⬇️ is, also, therefore, the "basic DEU" for the Army and, one assumes, there is something similar for the Navy and RCAF. Let's leave shirts and ties (and kilts) and shiny boots behind, in the 19th and 20th centuries, and become he first post modern military.
Swap the rifles for rods and that looks like it could be two guys waiting for unoccupied outhouses at a fishing camp.

That is an awful looking spectacle.

But, I feel like you are going to extremes. No one is saying get rid of jackets and ties, we are saying have a basic issues for the all the elements, and then the flights of fancy (hats, skirts and jackets outside the basic DEU) are funded by the units and associations.

That is an awful looking spectacle.

But, I feel like you are going to extremes. No one is saying get rid of jackets and ties, we are saying have a basic issues for the all the elements, and then the flights of fancy (hats, skirts and jackets outside the basic DEU) are funded by the units and associations.
Why on earth does anyone "need" a jacket and tie to prepare for or fight a war? IF we you need a ceremonial uniform then it should be issued, with all the bells and whistles, and maintained at public expense - if we, the public, the taxpayers, cannot do that then I suggest that we have decided that you don't need anything beyond that "awful looking spectacle."

Didn
We partially tried to be the first post modern military with the last iteration of the dress and grooming regs.

Why on earth does anyone "need" a jacket and tie to prepare for or fight a war? IF we you need a ceremonial uniform then it should be issued, with all the bells and whistles, and maintained at public expense - if we, the public, the taxpayers, cannot do that then I suggest that we have decided that you don't need anything beyond that "awful looking spectacle."

I think I'm explaining this poorly.

Every Sailor, Soldier, Aviator and all Officers should have a dress uniform. Pants, Jacket, Tie, Shirt, Hat, shoes/boots. What the government shouldn't be providing, IMHO, is the silly hats and kilts ect that some units desire to wear. And we should be simplifying our orders of dress. One order of dress for work/fighting, another for parade.

To be serious, I guess (because I've not seen their uniform(s) except maybe when bundled up out-of-doors) that the members in the photo are uniformed Canadian Rangers? And that the uniform they are wearing is basically all they have (subject to season and weather)?

If so, then it's sufficient. There's little point to contriving a military business suit for them, to be worn a handful of times a year (if that).

For the rest, the problems with being the bleeding edge of a fashion change are 1) that we will be taken even less seriously by friend and foe; 2) that the fashion change won't spread for a long time, which means we will be taken less seriously for a long time.

When I did NSP, we had Rangers with us for their 75th anniversary. Whenever I was third man while a Ranger pair was up, tourists were very disappointed by their basic uniforms and occasionally I would get questions of "When are the soldiers coming back?"

We all know that these are the Inuit Rangers only uniform. None other is provided them.

However, they didn't wear old faded ones, or dirty boots or old caps: They are wearing clean crisp ones and clean black boots. That is not dishonoring the duty.

Honestly I think a "regimental" Polo T would be a little more formal - keep the simple T for less formal occasions.

Personally I see no need for pockets on the front of a "combat shirt" as ones armor will cover them anyway. I like the "build in" knee and elbow pads on the Crye combat uniforms as well - as one can remove them if not needed (and for laundry).

I think the Israelis have that covered for the past…uh…few decades.

Back