• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dirty boots

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
The other week a soldier who lacked the complete upper body strenght to lift and hold a jerry can of diesel while filling an LSVW spilt 10 out of the 20 liters on the ground (We were using a cut in half coke bottle as a funnel) . Fortinuatly for all the enviromentalists out there half of that spilt fuel went onto me so now my boots reek like gas. Any idea how i can get the smell out of them??

this has nothing to do with the gas smell on your boots... but what type of sight is that on your C7?

Honestly bud I would just turn them in. IIRC your suppose to in the event that your clothes become contaminated with diesel. A few guys ROTO 6 sprayed themselves quite good filling up the AVGPs. All they did was throw the combats in a sealed garbage bag and handed it in to the CQ.

yea, best thing to do is to turn them in and exhange them

Righty, the sight your reffering to is the Kite Sight(night vison)

This thread reminds me...

I used my Gortex wet weather boots for the first time two weekends ago.

They are still sitting in my closet, quite muddy.

What is the most effective way of cleaning this boots? Warm water & stiff brush? Just the brush? I am concerned about getting water inside the boot accidentally, which I know should be no problem, but with the padding, etc, I fear the padding might start to rot/smell if it gets wet and doesn‘t dry properly.

what i usually do, is bang and brush off all the excess dirt i can while its still dry. then i wash them with warm water and a good stiff brush.. almost like a floor brush kinda thing.. just to get the mud off... then i wipe em down, let them dry, and put boot paste on them to make them look presentable again..

(my biggest beef with the gortex boots. okay. after the fact that they have no traction in the snow. is that they get really dirty, really fast. my Mk III‘s never have that problem)

Try using dishwashing liquid. I prefer sunlight myself. I also purchased a dish brush; I noticed how good it worked on dishes so I purchased one to clean my boots. I use warm water and then rinse the boots twice. It should clean up most of the diesel fuel and help get rid of the smell.

20 liters of fuel. Figure it out.

Ghost - turn them in, they‘re contaminated and will rot.
Righty - Stay on topic. If you want to ask Ghost something, PM him.
PCG - Follow the directions issued and attached to the boots. Knock off the heavy stuff, clean them with a brush (and water , if need be). Then apply the sealant you were issued per instructions.
nULL - the can weighs about 3 pounds, when it‘s full it weighs close to 45 lbs (approx 8lbs per gallon x 5 gal). I‘m not metric, if you need to know kg/litre, figure it out.

I would imagine water inside the boot is not a huge problem so long as they are left to air dry. Just like sweating in them.

If Gas was poured over them then I would definately draw new ones.

Does anyone else think the new boots not only not have much traction on snow but in fact have a ridiculously small amount? I must have fallen on my butt 5 times in one day doing a navigation exercise. I still swear by the things though, it‘s like walking with pillows.

I might end up having to turn them in. I‘ve had them since the ice storm and even put vibram souls on them costing me $60 out of my pocket. They kinda have sentimental value but if their going to rot out then theres not much i can do. If only people were stronger. The wet weather boots are comfortable but brutal int he winter and very poorly made. I‘m on my 5th pair.

Sealant!

I knew that civ idiot at ASU clothing forgot to issue me SOMETHING!

Dammit... now I have to go back there AGAIN!!!! ARGH!

I swear, I should‘ve had someone else checking on this guy at ASU. I had to show that tool how to use his own computer. A system, I might add, I have never seen before in my life! Clueless.

Perhaps I will go back there with my own TI card, for "clue, individual, 1 per" and get that guy to sign it.

Righto, I guess I will hang fire and wait to get some sealant.

Back